Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0467  (Read 1186 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0467
« on: January 29, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0467
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 05:47:17 PM »
Addison Powell's voice is putrid.  It reminds me of a cat in the act of throwing up.  When Dr. Lang was being attacked, I was laughing.  I don't do that with Dark Shadows; I love the melodrama - but Lang struck me that way.  I wish Roger had thrown that what's-it's into the fire.  I know Dr. Lang's supposed to be a mad scientist.  But Angelique, even at her worst, was fun to watch.  I just don't like Dr. Lang.  I think that as time goes on I am better able to stand him - but oh, gosh, how could Elizabeth have called him charming?

Roger's enchantment is a joy to watch.  The business of the phone ringing was especially pleasing.  And showing Naomi instead for just a bit and then switching back to Liz was very neatly done.  I wasn't aware that they could do that sort of thing at that point on the show.

Funny how Barnabas is willing to tell Lang everything, while he barely told Julia anything.  Granted, Lang had had success with Barnabas where Julia had not - but who knows what side effects will come with the miracle cure?  Julia was careful where Lang was not.  Of course, back when Julia was trying to cure Barnabas, Angelique hadn't been invented yet - but that's no excuse.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:53:56 AM »
Addison Powell's voice is putrid.  It reminds me of a cat in the act of throwing up.  When Dr. Lang was being attacked, I was laughing.  I don't do that with Dark Shadows; I love the melodrama - but Lang struck me that way.  I wish Roger had thrown that what's-it's into the fire. 
I disagree, Lydia, I don't think Addison Powell's voice was putrid, I just think that he spoke too loudly and he was too melodramatic. I wasn't laughing when Dr, Lang was being attacked, but I did think he was overacting! I don't blame you for laughing, Lydia. I've laughed at scenes that were supposed to be very serious before. Maybe I just wasn't in a laughing mood, because as I think about it, it sounds funny - Lang being in pain; saying no, I'm alright; no, I'm in pain again; no, I'm alright now. Barnabas probably was crazy with it all -  wanting Lang to make up his mind! [snow_laugh] I'm glad that Roger couldn't go through with it, though.  If Dr. Lang had died, then there would have been no Adam storyline.  [snow_shocked]

It was great to watch Barnabas marvel like a child about the warm sunlight and the vibrant colors. It was heartwarming to watch him be so excited to be in the daytime. [snow_happy]

It was fun to watch Roger act like he was Joshua and Liz was Naomi. I don't blame Liz for being angry with Roger about not answering the phone. In those days, there were no answering machines! [snow_wink]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:04:27 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention... I liked that "4:00 in the afternoon" scene better in the last show than in this episode. It was much more effective and dramatic. I hate it when they are inconsistent with the clothing and scenes! [snow_angry]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 08:08:58 PM »
If Dr. Lang had died, then there would have been no Adam storyline.

If only.... if only.....

And they did have answering machines back then.   A rich family would definitely have had one.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 09:56:42 PM »
And they did have answering machines back then.   A rich family would definitely have had one.
Perhaps, but I think wealthy families at that time (and even now) would have employed a servant to answer the phone.  It seems to me that, answering machines would have been marketed more to the middle class, who weren't starving but couldn't afford someone to answer the phone or employ an answering service.  And keep in mind, Liz was a for all intents and purposes a recluse.  She probably didn't think any more of obtaining an answering machine that she did of obtaining an television!  We should count ourselves lucky they even had a phone .... :)

There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »
It was touching watching Barnabas out in the sunlight for the first time in two centuries. I'm sure he had given up hope of ever seeing the sun again due to the failure of Julia's experiments.

I was laughing watching Roger think he was Joshua and that Elizabeth was Naomi, and ordering her about and such. I guess even a stubborn skeptic of the supernatural such as Roger can fall victim to a witch's powers. I also thought it was funny seeing him give Dr. Lang the cold shoulder at the hospital.

I must say Dr. Lang wasn't my favorite character either, but he did serve a purpose in the story.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 01:09:34 AM »
It should have been Julia who cured him.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 09:11:01 AM »
And it would have been, if Barnabas hadn't insisted on accelerating the treatment and then blaming any resulting problems on Julia instead of himself.