Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0463  (Read 1033 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0463
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:41:07 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0463
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:23:46 PM »
At the end of today's episode, I had the idea that if Jonathan Frid tried, he could touch the tip of his nose with his lower lip.

Carolyn has changed her tune, and not just because Angelique's portrait is eroding Barnabas's power over her.  Before Vicky's jaunt to 1795, the only reason Carolyn was interested in Tony Peterson was that Tony had Julia's notebook.  Now Julia's notebook is out of his hands, and Carolyn is still interested in Tony.  I like Tony a lot, but I figure Carolyn will get tired of him for the same reason that she got tired of Joe.

And Barnabas has decided that he cares about his cousins!  I'm don't think that that was the case before.  He's worried that they'll get killed because they care about him.  Would it bother him, at this point, if Julia died because she cared about him?

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
I don't agree with Roger and others saying that Angelique was beautiful in the portrait. I thought every part of her was beautiful except her face. Her face looked ugly! It wasn't a good likeness at all.  [snow_sick]

Poor Carolyn - she wanted to have a relationship with Tony, but Barnabas' needs were getting in the way. I felt sorry for her. [snow_sad] She looked smashing in that riding outfit!  [snow_smiley]

I love it when Barnabas has that gravelly sound to his voice when he is angry!  [snow_cheesy] It was frustrating to see that Barnabas couldn't destroy Angelique's portrait.  [snow_angry] I also love Angelique's laugh, too!  [snow_happy]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:47:18 PM »
I don't agree with Roger and others saying that Angelique was beautiful in the portrait. I thought every part of her was beautiful except her face. Her face looked ugly! It wasn't a good likeness at all.  [snow_sick]

Poor Carolyn - she wanted to have a relationship with Tony, but Barnabas' needs were getting in the way. I felt sorry for her. [snow_sad] She looked smashing in that riding outfit!  [snow_smiley]

Oh, I agree with you about that ugly-ass painting.    It doesn't look like her except for the hair, I guess.   No disrespect to those who like it...

They don't have horses do they?    They could have thrown in a remark implying that it was really Tony she was riding, and that that was the reason for the outfit...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 03:59:50 AM »
I too must voice my dislike for Angelique's portrait....I wouldn't call it ugly, but it's definitely no masterpiece either and not worthy of the beauty of Lara Parker.

Angelique's laughter at the end freaked me out. But did Barnabas really believe that by destroying the portrait he could end the curse? If Julia's experiments couldn't do the trick, then a portrait burning of his wife/enemy certainly isn't going to do it either.

It was rather selfish of Barnabas to summon Carolyn just to 'comfort' him when he knew she really wanted to
go out with Tony. Portrait or no portrait, I think she was justified to lash out at him about it.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 04:19:45 AM »
I think it's pretty amazing that this show, which was broadcast on aftenoonTV in the 1960's, was abe to get away with a pretty queasy suggestion of cousin-on-cousin incest. 

Carolyn mentioned that she hadn't seen Tony for a week.  Yet, wasn't the whole family supposedly frozen in a state of suspended animaton for close to four months?  The writers even reference the correct date - April 3 - when commenting on Peter Bradford's execution.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 04:57:12 AM »
Carolyn mentioned that she hadn't seen Tony for a week.  Yet, wasn't the whole family supposedly frozen in a state of suspended animaton for close to four months?

They couldn't have been.   Townsfolk would have noticed, and would have come by and and started writing nasty messages on the Collinses' foreheads.

They announced that the Collinses were "frozen in time" (not space) because they thought that many viewers wouldn't understand that with time-travel you can leave a present day moment, spend months in the past, and then travel forward again to the same moment in the present that you left.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 05:40:58 AM »
Though the Collinses were frozen in time as well as space as those who took part in the seance remained around the table in the drawing room (and the others were supposedly whenever they were). However, I'm pretty sure that though the opening voiceovers said time was suspended at Collinwood, I believe what they actually meant to imply was that while Vicki spent months in the past, a mere moment went by (for everyone everywhere) in the present. In fact, doesn't one of the opening voiceovers actually say something to that effect?