Author Topic: OT: Farewell Vampira  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Minja

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
OT: Farewell Vampira
« on: January 16, 2008, 05:32:51 AM »
Here's the linkage for her death announcement.  Since she was the one of the originators of the Gothic look and DS is a Gothic Soap Opera, I felt she deserved a mention here. Besides,  Gothic is  Steve's poster name too!

I always enjoyed her and Elvira.  She will be missed.

Maila Nurmi, TV's Vampira, Dies

Always, Minja  [sadg]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Farewell Vampira
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:24:59 AM »
There's a more recent photo of Maila Nurmi here:

Maila Nurmi, TV's Vampira, dies at 85

Though this is not to be the hearse that will transport her--- that can be found here:

http://images.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/ccrp_0603_hers_02_z+hearses+1951_cadillac.jpg

Ms. Nurmi still had "presence", though, didn't she?

Is any of her material available even on VHS (which I still use sometimes)?  Heard about her all my life but never actually saw any genuine Vampira programming.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:52:56 PM »
What a sad coincidence, i am waiting for the mail to run and hoping that the movies i bought come today, 2 of them being "Ed Wood" and that Masterpiece "Plan 9 from outer space" (am sure i will kick myself for purchasing this "movie" once it has been in the dvd player for a few minutes) Both movies having a Vampira connection.. I lived in the Los Angeles area when her show was running, but was too young to remember ever seeing her. R.I.P. Vampira (and may no diabolical fiends from an alien planet disrupt your rest) 
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:14:51 PM »
I think Penny Dreadful mentioned that a short clip of Vampira doing her thing back in the day had surfaced and was available somewhere.  I checked YouTube yesterday and couldn't find it.  The footage may not be available for free download.  I think there may be a documentary about her, too, and the footage may only be available as part of that.

She was an unforgettable presence in Plan 9 from Outer Space and obviously had a huge influence, although forerunners of her look could be found in Carroll Borland's performance in Mark of the Vampire (1935, released on DVD in the fall of '06) and, of course, the redoubtable Gloria Holden in Dracula's Daughter.

G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:07:01 PM »
yes, Vampira was quite the presence, wasn't she?

However, I preferred Elvira. She was simply fun.

Nothing like spitting on the dead, or undead, is there?

nancy

She was an unforgettable presence in Plan 9 from Outer Space and obviously had a huge influence, although forerunners of her look could be found in Carroll Borland's performance in Mark of the Vampire (1935, released on DVD in the fall of '06) and, of course, the redoubtable Gloria Holden in Dracula's Daughter.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:03:51 PM »
 Ms. Nurmi was described as "a true bohemian" and it is clear from her interviews that she was a very intelligent, quick-witted person with a unique view of the world.  I will always consider her an inspiration and regret that I never had the opportunity to meet her.  While Elvira is a very talented comedian with a fun-loving personality, Vampira embodied all that is mysterious and unknown.  She is iconic.  Personally, I think they're both great. 

There is very little surviving footage from Vampira's show - only a scant few minutes.  But what does exist is wonderful stuff.  Up until recently, the clip was available on YouTube but someone took it down over the last few days.  *Some* of this footage DOES appear in Vampira the Moviehttp://www.oldies.com/product-view/1033D.html .   I have a brief cameo in the flick during the horror host segment, along with Zacherley, Svengoolie and Jami Deadly.  Some of the footage also appears in the documentary American Scary which, hopefully, will be released soon.

Vampira's offical site also had a DVD for sale, but the site is currently paying tribute to Maila on the main page so I don't think you can order it right now -  http://www.vampirasattic.com/

Penny
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:39:01 PM »
I wouldn't know, but I would guess that Vampira's and Elvira's acts and characters were very different, right?    That sort of valley-girl Elvira parodied didn't exist in the 50s... 

Anyway, those images of Ms. N from Plan 9 are genuinely creepy, and the badness/strangeness of Plan 9 is even a bit creepy in itself, so (if you're like me, and who isn't??!!) the Plan 9 experience will not be a wasted one.    Remember, this isn't a quickie shlock movie from some guy who just wanted to make a few bucks;  Ed Wood believed in these films.    You're entering his mental landscape.

Thanks, everyone, for making me want to see/hear more of Vampira, now that I can't.....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT - Donations needed for VAMPIRA aka Maila Nurmi funeral fund
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:14:40 AM »
Television's first horror hostess Vampira, aka Maila Nurmi, passed on 01/10/07. She died with very little means, and a funeral/burial fund is underway: http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5771

Please help if you can, she deserves to go out with style.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 08:38:25 PM »
A note from David J. Schow concerning Maila's burial has been posted at the VideoWatchBlog - http://videowatchdog.blogspot.com/2008/02/vampira-at-rest.html