Author Topic: Dark Shadows: Why Such a Huge Gay Following?  (Read 11346 times)

David

Re: Dark Shadows: Why Such a Huge Gay Following?
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2008, 04:46:23 AM »
Barnabas, Quentin, Angelique being in "the closet" about their immortality, Julia in "the closet" about loving Barnabas.
These are obvious if unintentional metaphors.

David

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2008, 05:46:56 AM »
I agree that DS is ripe with characters and situations that can be seen as metaphors for homosexuality, as well as many other types of experiences, but I doubt they [the metaphors] were written into the show intentionally. *

*edited for clarity

These are obvious if unintentional metaphors.

Agreed.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2008, 06:20:54 AM »
(Please feel free to point out mistakes, though I doubt this can have anywhere near as many typos as it did in print.)

The Beckoning Strangeness
Notes Towards a Gay Critique of Dark Shadows
by S. R. Shutt

The past, it has been said, is another country.  So often do we visit those foreign shores in memory that the pathways thither ought by rights to be familiar rather than strange.  Nevertheless, when the destination is a place called Dark Shadows, it is precisely the strangeness, the sinister, the secret, that delights and increases and inevitably lures one back.

For a child growing up “different” in the late 1960s—or, to be more exact, a ten-year-old budding queer in 1968—Dark Shadows beckoned as a garden of respite and refuge, a deliciously Gothic refuge from an otherwise dreary and hostile world.  Though assuredly not without its terrors, Collinwood brought comfort in the companionship of Barnabas and Julia, spectacle in the occult triumphs and defeats of Angelique, dark villainy in the designs of Count Petofi (a personal favorite) and Reverend Trask, pathos and passion in the struggles of Victoria and Maggie, Quentin and Chris, each in their own way seeking a better life.  There was Elizabeth’s tragic dignity, Roger’s acid wit, Carolyn’s pert curiosity, the brave wisdom of Professor Stokes in the face of every supernatural menace known to man.  There was that extraordinary music, unlike anything ever heard before or since.  Like Grayson Hall’s exquisitely Gothic, expressive face, the visible grandeur of Collinwood and Barnabas’ mesmerizing, sonorous voice, the music was one of the magical things that elevated one into another world when watching Dark Shadows.

“Watch” is far too passive a word, though, to describe how we experienced Dark Shadows.  Jonathan Frid has said, jestingly, that we (the viewers) were the ones doing the acting.  Though that was hardly true, it is true that the audience involved themselves in the show so completely that an entire imaginary universe worthy of Borges himself, came into fantastic life within the cramped confines of that now-legendary studio at 24 West 53rd Street.  Despite all the flubs and confusion people laugh at today, to a child’s eye this was a darkly enthralling world of utterly convincing reality.  To call the series’ cancellation in April 1971 traumatic would be something of an understatement.  It was the eve of my 13th birthday; the door in the wall that led to the secret garden had been locked forever.  Adulthood loomed, perilously, and with decidedly few blandishments, on the horizon.

Watching Dark Shadows again in the Nineties as an adult has proven a much different, though no less enthralling experience.

“A Stranger who is not a stranger, with a soul shaped by the far place from which” I have come, as a gay man (and an academic, to boot) passionately interested in questions of what in the Seventies was called the “gay sensibility”—now more commonly spoken of as “queer culture”—I find myself astonished, beguiled, and enraptured all over again by the unique vitality of the Dark Shadows aesthetic.  The delirious (yet often carefully crafted) mannerism that infuses the whole series, though it certainly has roots in everything from Gothic literary conventions (from Poe to Lovecraft) to the penumbral photography of 1940’s, 50’s, and 60’s horror movies (from Val Lewton to Mario Bava), maintains, above all the eclectic reconfigurations of style, a verve and an elan that transcend the iconic conventions of 1960s camp theater.  Because it was made with complete seriousness and solemn dedication to presenting something completely new in the constricted medium of television, DS transcends “camp” even as it embodies what Susan Sontag declared to be the fundamental truth of Camp—Camp as a theatre of pure style.

…Camp rests on innocence.  …In naïve, or pure Camp, the essential element  is seriousness, a seriousness that fails.  Of course, not all seriousness that fails can be redeemed as Camp.  Only that which has the proper mixture of the exaggerated, the fantastic, the passionate, and the naïve.  …The hallmark of Camp is the spirit of extravagance.  (Susan Sontag, Notes on “Camp,” In the Susan Sontag Reader (NY: Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 1982, pp. 111-112))

She postulated further that ‘pure’ Camp—the theater of the fantastic, the passionate, and the naïve—represents the triumph of style over content.  “Camp is a vision of the world in terms of style—but a particular kind of style.” (ibid., p. 108)  According to her, Camp mirrors gay sensibility to the extent that it “is a solvent of morality.”  These ideas seem to me to be very suggestive pointers toward a way of analyzing the style of Dark Shadows.  Dark Shadows, in its kaleidoscopic transmutations, is by turns both serious and playful, extravagant and naïve, passionate and yet morally ambiguous (especially in the development of Barnabas).  The stories often represent the triumphs of characterizations over plot, a twist in the narrative that seems absurd in a summary acquires depth and logic in light of the personalities with which the actors infuse their characters.  These are all elements which locate Dark Shadows firmly within the theater of gay sensibility—call it Camp if you will—and which assure its incorporation into the pantheon of queer culture.

Gregory Woods declared in his pathbreaking study Articulate Flesh: Male Homoeroticism and Modern Poetry (Yale University Press, 1987) that any work of art may be given a gay reading (or a gay interpretation) regardless of the sexual orientation of its author.  In the culture being created by the gay community that has formed since the Stonewall Riots of 1969, there is an unquestionably and unfolding sensibility that will respond to—and cherish—Dark Shadows with a sensitivity and a passion that will be distinct from the conventional viewer’s response to the series.

For many gay viewers, the character of Barnabas provides a kind of touchstone, even an Everyman, through whose eyes they view the action of the entire series.  As an outsider, Barnabas acts out in his own life the sense of displacement, unease, and exile that many gay youths felt growing up in the late Sixties and Seventies, and the kind of “difference” that many gay people still feel in Nineties America.  The rawness, alternating with exquisite poise, that we see in Jonathan Frid’s portrayal of Barnabas, gives the character a kind of wounded, vulnerable openness that still seems unique in the television universe.  Regardless of the sexuality assigned by the plot to Barnabas, his profound loneliness, and poignant struggle to recover his humanity in the midst of a dark and hostile cosmos, make him truly a gay Everyman.

As a child, I never found Quentin to be nearly as intriguing as Barnabas, and as an adult I would locate the lack of sympathy in Quentin's very different response to his curse.  In 1897, Quentin cried out, “I want to be normal again.  I want to be decent again.”  In 19769-70, his amnesia  showed just how desperate he was to return to “normal” life.  Though he ultimately struggled to redeem himself, his character displayed a certain ruthlessness that the writers rapidly wrote out of Barnabas, in favor of a more ambivalent (and compassionate) moral stance.  As a Lothario—and, ironically, a champion of the value of “decency”—Quentin is bound to seem less attractive to the gay viewer.  (Gay fans of Quentin—I’m waiting to hear form you!)

A character with whom I found an extraordinary resonance as a child was Dr. Julia Hoffman, and still today Grayson Hall’s theatrical brilliance, her energy, wit, and verve, are essential facets of Dark Shadows’ continuing appeal.  As Julia, she made a mark because her strength and loyalty in the face of daily frustration with Barnabas’ waywardness, proved to be prophetic of the experience of unrequited love in adulthood.

Lara Parker was another actress whose mere presence onscreen was enough to charge the atmosphere with a very exciting energy.  In her memoir, “Out of Angelique’s Shadow,” she advances her own thought in retrospect that the characters and situations in DS proved so compelling to viewers because they responded to Jungian archetypes, such as those said to be reflected in mythology and classical drama.  Though this idea of archetypes is a fascinating one, it seems to me to deprecate the very particular qualities each actor and actress on Dark Shadows brought to their portrayals of the people in the stories.  We cared—and continue to care—so much about Barnabas, Julia, Angelique and the others not because they are iconic figures in some primeval mythic drama, but because they are complex individuals whose characters are fleshed out with unusual thoroughness in the leisurely narrative flow of the program.  As a soap opera, DS was uniquely able to achieve that haunting sensation of gradually building menace so characteristic of the late Victorian ghost story—a brooding atmosphere in which the characters grew and gradually became real to us in all their extravagance, passion, and innocence.

In this essay, I have ventured from a recollection of my childhood love of Dark Shadows toward a more mature appreciation of the world created by the program.  My fundamental contention remains that  gay cultural/critical perspective offers an unusually effective way of explaining why Dark Shadows has remained so compelling a part of all our lives.  I’m not simply trying to defend or analyze Dark Shadows; I’m determined to celebrate it as an extraordinarily forward-looking event in the history of American television, and a legacy that will grow in richness and inspiration over the years.  If, as Jonathan Frid has said, the show has entered the stream of American folklore, it has certainly become an integral part of the gay community’s cultural memory as well; as of this writing, a live soap opera performed in a gay bar in New York City reportedly includes among its situations “Barnabas Collins walking into a gay bar in Twin Peaks.”  Let us hope that the Secret Room provides a much-needed space for gay viewers to express, at long last, the very personal meaning Dark Shadows has had for us, in all its complex and varied dimensions.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2008, 06:31:49 AM »
There's a big difference with not wanting to fit in and not being able to.

Both true in my case.    Not wanting and not trying to conform to a soul-deadening majority culture doesn't mean that it's a free choice (I'm not capable of the required extreme personality makeover), or that the alienation doesn't hurt.    We all need the support of a group, or most do.

I'm posting this even though my brains are especially fried now.   I need to make myself sleep.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »
Wow...awesome essay Steve!!

You've earned a golden Pepe award for that one...

Wear it with pride, damnit! [wink]

And, I just wanted to comment that I too celebrate diversity. It's what makes each individual unique in this world that is most special. We can all learn from each other, in good times and in bad. For me personally, although I am now proud of who I am (certifiable Bisexual since birth,) growing up in an environment which did not support, condone, or acknowledge the GLBT community, combined with an inherited mental disorder (Bipolar) made it difficult for me to assimilate in the world as I grew up. After I graduated from High School I found DS (second generation fan here) and I found the show to be a respite for my oft disquiet mind and situation. I identified with the many characters on a symbolic level, could appreciate how they were dealing with one terrifying problem after another, and of course who could not appreciate the absolutely fascinating gothic, supernatural, and mysterious dramas played before me on the screen.
I don't believe the gay metaphors that we can find on the show were intentional on part of the writers, but I do think it is fun and healthy to find meaning in things and connect with others in ways that one can relate to, no matter where you are in life or what you believe in...that's one of the great things about art, literature, writing, and even this show, IMO.  Through my involvement with a particular divine DS group, I have met met and become close friends with people I never would have found otherwise, people who have made a real difference in my life and have , in their own supportive way, helped me to take pride in who I am and strive to become a better person each day. It's not always easy, but such is life...

Dark Shadows DVD collection.....pricey, but worth it
The episodes....addictive and a blast to devour
The memories and people behind the fandom....priceless! :-*

And now back to your regularly scheduled debate....  [snow_smileydevil]

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »
Wow...awesome essay Steve!!

Agreed! Now there's the style of writing your admirers have come to know and thoroughly appreciate.  [snow_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2008, 05:40:30 PM »
Good Golly Miss Midnite, did you TYPE that with your own fair hands???  You deserve a golden Naked Selby award for such lioness-worthy efforts!!

One mistake I spotted which I presume was in the original was that I know I described myself as a "budding ten year old" in 1968, not 1966, because I was about to turn ten when I started watching DS back in June of '68 (now THAT feels like another country).

I think the address of the studio got scrambled, too--presumably in the printed text.

Nancy, if you see this, I'm very sorry about the mean things we've written about your friend. I obviously never even met the man, and I do feel compassion for him based upon what you have written.  I'm glad he's in a happier place now in his own life.

cheers, G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2008, 05:49:59 PM »
G, I don't mind the criticism of the article, how it is written, the zine itself -   That's all fair game.

The comments directed towards his character and feelings about himself and the gay community is what I object to especially since the conclusions were dead wrong (no pun intended).

Nancy, if you see this, I'm very sorry about the mean things we've written about your friend. I obviously never even met the man, and I do feel compassion for him based upon what you have written.  I'm glad he's in a happier place now in his own life.

David

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »
I'm heading out to meetings now, so I've only been able to skim Heather's post & Gothick's essay.
So far, they look like lovely sentiments.
I'll read them carefully & post more later, along with a response that I owe to Magnus Trask.

Nancy: I never meant to be mean.
I honestly wish the guy well, I'm honestly glad he's happier these days, and I truly recall him as being polite & friendly.
But the whole "We love DS because we're fat, ugly, disabled queers" is a sentiment that I really heard him~~and ohers~~express one time too many.
No mean spiritedness intended, but statements and attitudes like that must be condemed.

David

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2008, 07:01:41 PM »

Gothick,

As always, I am deeply impressed by your intelligent and engaging writing style.   

Hexoxo,
   Penny

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »
David, I like you and all but sometimes I think you deliberately look for the negative in a comment when it was never meant that way but in fun.  I know that guy meant it in fun and I certainly do not want to see a teasing comment turned into the cornerstone for a rallying cry of all that's wrong with DS fandom. That's going too far.  I say things like my friend did all the time to my DS friends and nobody takes it seriously.  The same has been said to me. I would rather get involved and condemn other things having to do with the comfort and security of my community or my country and not what someone I don't know or care about spouts off about a soap opera convention.

Nancy

Nancy: I never meant to be mean.
I honestly wish the guy well, I'm honestly glad he's happier these days, and I truly recall him as being polite & friendly.
But the whole "We love DS because we're fat, ugly, disabled queers" is a sentiment that I really heard him~~and ohers~~express one time too many.
No mean spiritedness intended, but statements and attitudes like that must be condemed.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2008, 07:23:28 PM »
It's his right to say it, David!  If that is how he describes his interest in DS, so what?  Obviously one person can't speak for every "queer" in fandom or any other fan.  If you do not share that view, obviously you do not, then you express it.  But he has the right to describe his own view as to why he is into fandom or why gays, from his experience, are into the fandom.  Everyone doesn't agree with a viewpoint or relate to one's personal experience. Just because someone like my friend has a viewpoint that you don't share doesn't mean you will combust and the ashes will be thrown to the wind.  Remember, my friend was speaking from his own esperience and friendships in fandom.  Your experiences have been different.

Nancy

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2008, 08:27:07 PM »
Good Golly Miss Midnite, did you TYPE that with your own fair hands???  You deserve a golden Naked Selby award for such lioness-worthy efforts!!

Why thank you!!

One mistake I spotted which I presume was in the original was that I know I described myself as a "budding ten year old" in 1968, not 1966, because I was about to turn ten when I started watching DS back in June of '68 (now THAT feels like another country).

I think the address of the studio got scrambled, too--presumably in the printed text.

Oops.  It now says 1968.  I realize now that it's an 8, and should have known better because *I* was 10 when DS premiered, hee hee.

There's no doubt that the studio address reads as 64th Street, but I changed it to 53rd.

The punctuation was hardest to read.

This has been mentioned before, but I think it bears repeating:  Just because a person's name isn't given, if enough information is provided for readers to figure out exactly whom you're speaking about, you're not writing about an anonymous person.  The dance around the editor's/author's name is getting a little silly; even the readers who don't already know who published "The Secret Room" can easily ascertain his identity with a simple Google search.

We've allowed the discussion of Mr. Hutcheson's public views on gay fandom because he edited a gay DS zine, same as we allowed the debate when ShadowGram's choices were called into question.  Posters have presented valid points, but the discussion has long since become repetitive.  So, as always, if you're not adding something new to what you've already said, provided it won't be gossip or innuendo (or veer off-topic), please reconsider before clicking the post button or risk a moderator's click of the delete button.  Thanks.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2008, 08:59:52 PM »
A couple of brief ideas I'll throw in here:   

"We love DS because we're fat, ugly, disabled queers"
   Not the actual words used, I'm guessing.   

It's a sort of social blunder I've often made, which I have to keep looking out for, to include others in my self-deprecating humor.    Mr. H may have intended to do a passing brief joke at his own expense, basically, and broadened it out to include a group he was part of.    It's a mistake because people often don't take such a remark in the spirit intended.   Some people's dry delivery can often leave a wrong impression too.

I wouldn't take part in continuing to talk about Mr. H behind his back (sorry), except to point out things that might help prevent misunderstandings in the future.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2008, 05:06:28 AM »
The Beckoning Strangeness
Notes Towards a Gay Critique of Dark Shadows
by S. R. Shutt

- one of the finest pieces of DS criticism I've ever read. Gothick, my hat is off to you -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey