Author Topic: Thayer David in PEEPER  (Read 570 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Thayer David in PEEPER
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »
Fans, last weekend I had checked out of the library the 2006 DVD edition of the 1968 bomb THE MAGUS.  This film, adapted from a novel by John Fowles, was issued as part of three pack entitled THE MICHAEL CAINE COLLECTION.  The other two films in the set are DEADFALL (notable for a great John Barry soundtrack and entrancing theme song sung by the legendary Shrley Bassey), and the mid 1970s homage to 1940s gumshoe flicks, PEEPER.  The trailer was on the disc as an extra and was narrated by Thayer David doing his best Humphrey Bogart impersonation (I wonder whether he got Jerry Lacey on the phone to let him know that he was poaching on Lacey's turf!).  It did feature one clip from Thayer's scene(s) in the movie (I'm not sure he had more than the one) and I was impressed all over again by Thayer's powers of concentration, as he had some very complicated piece of dialogue to deliver while a vulture meant to be his character's pet was being fed morsels of raw meat!

I've meant to track this movie down since, basically, forever, and now that I know there's a DVD out there, will try to make it sooner rather than later.

G.