Author Topic: quentin,david and amy  (Read 6171 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
quentin,david and amy
« on: December 24, 2007, 05:30:53 PM »
there is often a bit of misconception about who remembers the quentin hauntings and who doesn't.

there seems to be a theory that since barnabas prevents quentin from being killed in 1897 than his ghost never haunted collinwood in the present and thus only barnabas,julia and "we" the viewer recall these events.

however today's slideshow makes it very clear that in fact david and amy both remember the hauntings.several other people(liz comes to mind)do as well.

later on however it's never quite satisfactorily explained as to why everyone readily accepts quentin into the household and no longer equate him with the ghost that caused them so much grief. [santa_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: quentin,david and amy
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 06:43:47 PM »
I think it was just the result of sloppy writing.  That happened not uncommonly on our beloved show.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 02:32:30 AM »
Lydia guessed that Quentin may have been intended to be the hero of the Leviathans story... there's a good reason to have him in 1970.    Getting him into the house, that's harder.    Clearly he's solid and not a ghost, so they can't say otherwise.     There's a precedent with Barnabas saying he's his own descendant.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 05:41:05 AM »
If I remember correctly, when Barnabas went into parallel time, Quentin was not established at Collinwood, but he was by the time Barnabas came back.  That was about the time when some storyline developments started getting pretty sketchy, so it's easy to imagine the audience missing out on some good stuff with real-time Quentin while Barnabas was away saving parallel-time Quentin.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: quentin, david and amy and ted and alice
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 05:50:41 AM »
Maybe that was when Petofi reappeared...!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: quentin, david and amy and ted and alice and tim
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 06:06:38 AM »
...which would be why we didn't see Tim Stokes until Barnabas had been in parallel time for several weeks: Thayer David was busy in real time.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: quentin, david and amy and ted and alice and tim?
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 07:27:10 AM »
...which would be why we didn't see Tim Stokes until Barnabas had been in parallel time for several weeks: Thayer David was busy in real time.

Making primo DS in secret for us all to discover 37 years later?    Zounds and egad and other Petofi-era anachronisms!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 03:03:36 PM »
The only person that reacted to Quentin was Amy, and her reaction (being very frightened of him) tells us that she certainly remembers Quentin's ghost haunting Collinwood. So it's also not a stretch to think that David remembers as well, and I believe that Liz might mention it at one point or another.

IIRC, Quentin came to present time during the Leviathan storyline, and he had to go through all that mess with Amanda being Olivia Corey and Julia had to investigate, blah blah blah, we find out that it's Quentin and all that jazz. I don't think he started living at Collinwood until have 70PT.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: quentin,david and amy / Circular paradoxes
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 06:47:31 PM »
The only person that reacted to Quentin was Amy, and her reaction (being very frightened of him) tells us that she certainly remembers Quentin's ghost haunting Collinwood. So it's also not a stretch to think that David remembers as well

As mscbryk mentioned, David's reaction was captured in the recent slide show.  He recognized Quentin's music ("Quentin's back!"), and after following it to the West Wing, he fled in terror when he realized a man was hiding in there.

I always thought it was a mistake for the present day characters to remember Quentin's haunting, but once history is changed by time travel, how DO you address the issue of a circular paradox except to have the change take place from the point the time travelers return?  In a circular paradox, everything to date is changed due to the time travel, yet the motivation for visiting the past sprang from the original history.  Spoiler:
In 1967, Vicki's trip through time changed nothing, thereby creating no circular paradox.  In 1968, some characters recall what occurred at Collinwood before Barnabas altered Quentin's history, so Barnabas' earlier motivation to visit 1897 remains reasonably intact.  In a later storyline, however, Gerard's haunting was apparently totally averted, so there would have been no need for Barnabas, Julia and Stokes to visit 1840 in the changed timeline, and therefore Gerard's ghost would be free to wreak havoc as it did originally...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 07:29:28 PM »
In 1968, some characters recall what occurred at Collinwood before Barnabas altered Quentin's history, so Barnabas' earlier motivation to visit 1897 remains reasonably intact.  In a later storyline, however, Gerard's haunting was apparently totally averted, so there would have been no need for Barnabas, Julia and Stokes to visit 1840 in the changed timeline, and therefore Gerard's ghost would be free to wreak havoc as it did originally...
Is that why the miniature merry-go-round was such a notable feature of Gerard's haunting?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »
Is that why the miniature merry-go-round was such a notable feature of Gerard's haunting?

Ha ha, good point!

Offline markyboo

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 10:13:13 PM »
 [santa_huh]

Another post-1897 issue has always been confusing to me: did the family realize Barnabas actually traveled through time & changed history? I remember Elizabeth thanking Barnabas shortly after he returned to the present, but did she & the others really understand what he did?

[santa_grin]

Also, the entire family & staff fled Collinwood (due to Quentin's haunting) & took up residence at the Old House. Now, as we all know, Barnabas restored the Old House to be an exact replica of what it was like in the 18th Century - no electricity, no telephone & I've always assumed no plumbing. It makes you wonder what the houseguests did about bathing & , uh , some other needs. Did they all have to use an outhouse? Did Roger have to stop at a filling station & shave before going to his office in the morning? Did Mrs. Johnson grow weary of cooking meals & washing dishes without running hot & cold water or did they use paper plates & utensils all those months. Maybe Barnabas allowed Willie to install a bathroom for Willie's needs. Can you imagine all those people lined up & taking their turns to use one bathroom?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 10:41:23 PM »
There are probably all sorts of rich-people options they have available to them that we'd never think of.    What about the generator they brought in for Eve?

Someone here knows what houses of this era and type did for "plumbing" I can almost guarantee.    Outhouse?    Probably a sort of indoor thing.     Really they'd have rented a house with electricity and plumbing, in town.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 12:45:55 AM »
Also, the entire family & staff fled Collinwood (due to Quentin's haunting) & took up residence at the Old House. Now, as we all know, Barnabas restored the Old House to be an exact replica of what it was like in the 18th Century - no electricity, no telephone & I've always assumed no plumbing. It makes you wonder what the houseguests did about bathing & , uh , some other needs. Did they all have to use an outhouse? Did Roger have to stop at a filling station & shave before going to his office in the morning? Did Mrs. Johnson grow weary of cooking meals & washing dishes without running hot & cold water or did they use paper plates & utensils all those months. Maybe Barnabas allowed Willie to install a bathroom for Willie's needs. Can you imagine all those people lined up & taking their turns to use one bathroom?

They probably just had Willie do everything:  the cooking, the hauling of water (maybe there was a hand-pump in the kitchen), heating it, handwashing all the laundry, and the job of - um - emptying out chamber pots.  Despite not having her portable TV to watch The Merv Griffin Show and Secret Storm, Mrs. Johnson was probably tickled pink that she didn't have to lift a finger.

Gerard

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 06:43:03 PM »
Another post-1897 issue has always been confusing to me: did the family realize Barnabas actually traveled through time & changed history? I remember Elizabeth thanking Barnabas shortly after he returned to the present, but did she & the others really understand what he did?

You know, as far as I recall, I don't think they knew exactly what he did.  Even Barnabas himself didn't know he'd wind up traveling to the past when he tossed those I-Ching wands.  Considering his penchant for utter secrecy, I doubt he told them much.  They just knew he helped in some way.  Barnabas, Julia & Stokes were probably vague about the specifics.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com