Author Topic: Surviving without television  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Surviving without television
« on: December 02, 2007, 10:58:52 PM »
The truly horrying story of a woman who was deprived of watching (among other shows) DS while her classmates discussed it because her family didn't own a TV!  [santa_shocked]  Check out: Surviving without television

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving without television
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 12:36:31 AM »
Good article MB, and good replies.

I believe I posted here that for [size=8]8 days[/size] here we lived without television  [santa_angry].

(Only on my older TV was I able to get a snowy reception from North Carolina!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:50:14 AM »
I went for TV once for only three days and thought I was going to go mad.  I was living in Alaska at the time and my place was going to go through a six-month remodeling (it needed it bad, real bad, actually stripping it down to the four exterior walls and taking out the floors and starting all over again).  I was going to go on a three-week vacation to the east coast and during that time everything I had needed to be placed in storage and a few things sent to a furnished condo I would reside in until I could move back to my old place.  I had to have everything disconnected, packed, boxed, labeled, etc., before I left on vacation, so that meant the TV had to join the bagged and baggaged.  So, for three days until I went to the airport, no boob-tube.  I thought I would go insane.  Oh, they say you read books, go for walks, enjoy nature, blah-blah-blah, but let me tell you, that's all just blah-blah-blah.  I WANTED MY TV!!!!!!

Gerard

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 08:19:16 AM »
I live in an area where you can't pick up jack without cable, and I went without cable for about 3 years. About a month ago, my neighbor decided to splice into the cable line -- except he didn't know the difference between splicing and cutting. It took about five days to fix. I am ashamed to admit that I very nearly threw a clot, and it wasn't as though I didn't have a stockpile of (DS) DVDs and videotapes to watch. I'm still staring daggers at the neighbor.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 08:48:43 PM »

On a somewhat related note, think of all the older people who also couldn't watch DS because they had no TVs at work.  GASP!  Since DS was on during the day I wonder how many more viewers would've tuned if it had been on a little later.  I also wonder how many employees dared to beg their bosses for an "office TV" so they could watch DS at work.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 12:01:01 PM »
A couple of years back, i was without TV for about 4 days, I managed to knock off "The Stand". That book had been lying around for years, but was intimidated by the size, but once i got going on it, couldnt put it down. 
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:49:31 PM »
I've been a shut-in, mostly, for decades, and now that I've had real life and the outside denied me all that time (many things I need to avoid doing including focusing eyes on print... blown up Internet print is damaging enough), and now that I've had to rely on TV instead all that time--- if the medical thing were to be lifted off of me, I'd declare a two-year moritorium on TV, and instead I'd travel around the world with little money (since I won't have it), and read.     I'd pick a subject and read ten books, pick another, read ten of those, and so on.    I have a lot to catch up on.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor