Author Topic: DS Fashion (was when was this interview done?)  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS Fashion (was when was this interview done?)
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 09:24:47 AM »
The afghan pops up all over the place here, as it did on the series.  Checking in Current Talk for the second half of 2005, I found:

(That Damn Afghan...)
(A F G A N - The Prequel )
(August 23rd - The MOST Celebrated Date In All Of DS History! )

Oddly enough, I don't think anybody has nailed down either the date on which the afghan first appeared or the date of its last appearance.

We've strayed a bit from DVD Long-Term Availability.  Well, let's see...if the DVD's remain available long enough, somebody will surely put together a list of all the episodes in which the afghan appeared.

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 04:53:44 PM »
That afghan!  [santa_grin] But, is this the multi-colored  granny afghan or the one with, I believe, orange and green granny squares? Both figure prominently in everyone's house. I'm off to do a search for the traveling afghans...  [santa_cheesy]

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 02:50:15 PM »
That afghan!  [santa_grin] But, is this the multi-colored  granny afghan or the one with, I believe, orange and green granny squares? Both figure prominently in everyone's house. I'm off to do a search for the traveling afghans...  [santa_cheesy]

I do believe that Elizabeth crocheyed them for everyone on nights she couldn't sleep.    the pattern was handed down all the way from Naomi Collins.   That's why everyone has that afghan. 

and Why does Stokes and Nicholas blair have a portrait of Ezra Stone's Grandfather in their houses?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 04:14:07 PM »
In the recent Deep Discount sale, I bought set 17 and it finally arrived last night (I think they ran out because the DS sets are so popular there).  That set includes two of my all time favorite Grayson episodes.  The first one is her last day in 1897 and I was *stunned* by how beautifully her gorgeous greeny-grey mutton-chop sleeve dress "read" on the DVD.  and the lovely Arts and Crafts movement style drop earrings (looks like blue glass) with matching cameo brooch complements that gown so exquisitely.  Plus, her hair was beautifully styled that day, too.  I was in Heaven.

More to the point, I then switched to the last show on disc 3 of this set which is another fave rave (Grayson actually utters the expression "...diVINE...!" on camera!!), with its Grayson-in-stereo moment of Julia doing her silent screen vamp routine to the voices of Magda and Pansity tuning in from 1897.  AND Carolyn shows up wearing what seems to be a miniskirt version of Maggie's legendary patchwork quilt skirt.  In this case it's not quilted fabric but what seems to be a lightweight print (dacron, maybe???).  I love these scenes with Carolyn and Julia.  Julia is all angst and foreboding and Carolyn is larking about with "oh, that new antique shop downtown is just divine ... will you just CHILL, Julia honey?"  Great stuff.

There was a very odd thing on the beginning of the first episode of disc 1 in this set (can't recall the number, but among other things you see a CLASSIC shot of what's left of poor, misbegotten Miss Wanda Paisley).  On the shot of the Great House as Selby was reading the opening monologue, it looked as if there was a clear plastic sheet sitting over the recording camera with the words DARK SHADOWS scrawled on it.  I noticed this when the titles cut rolled, too--presumably the same cam.  Anyone else ever notice anything like this?

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 05:26:50 PM »
gothick,

i watched these episodes on your recommendation.i agree about julia's ensemble during her final days in 1897.i'm glad they didn't stick some dumb wig on her.her short hair made this "look" quite striking...

and then when the story shifts back to the 'present' on disk three.i actually like julia's green drop waist dress(or is it a two piece?).
what can one say about carolyn here except wow!for starters she is wearing an astounding amount of eye make-up.her hair is at it's longest and most pretty during this time period.it's truly the stuff of the classic "breck girl" shampoo commercials(in general nancy barrett was spared the hairpiece abuse foisted on most of the other actresses).that skirt and blouse get-up was eye-popping to say the least.good call on the dacron.there is not one thread of breathable fabric in that thing.oh those synthetics!you just know that thing is still sitting in a landfill somewhere(with maggie's maxi)and won't biodeagrade until the sun goes supernova.i wish i had it.

this is getting soooo off-topic. [santa_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 07:00:37 PM »
MSC, if you can stand it, go watch a couple of Judith's final episodes from 1897.  I was watching one the evening after I made the above post--she was wearing this exquisite ensemble which featured a tailored red top (I'm not familiar enough with Victorian couture to know what to call it) that looked as if it had been made from Chinese silk.  And in one of those shows I could swear she was wearing the drop earrings Julia had one when she "disappeared"! They must have astrally re-materialized in Judith's jewellry-box.

Carolyn keeps that outfit for the first few days (or maybe it's meant to be all one day as in the very start of the series) in Leviathan.  I agree, it's incredible.  Stunning.  Her hair is the kind of thing Burne-Jones LIVED to paint.

I realized just how sick I really am when this graphic XXX image came into my mind when Julia kept having this line about "Count Petofi wanting Quentin's body" and I swear that image was seared on the back of my eyeballs for days... Bad, bad Gothick!

cheers, G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: DS Fashion (was when was this interview done?)
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 07:41:11 PM »
this is getting soooo off-topic. [santa_rolleyes]

Ah, but no longer - the topic has been split up into three separate topics now:

DVD Long-Term Availability

when was this interview done?

and this one.  [santa_wink]