Author Topic: DS Fashion (was when was this interview done?)  (Read 2669 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
DS Fashion (was when was this interview done?)
« on: November 30, 2007, 03:50:54 PM »
just a funny little note about this interview...

whoever was conducting it asked alexandra if she had a favorite vicki dress...to which she laughed and replied that no she did not and that vicki was not very "stylish".

'ya think?! [hall2_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 07:37:26 PM »
just a funny little note about this interview...

whoever was conducting it asked alexandra if she had a favorite vicki dress...to which she laughed and replied that no she did not and that vicki was not very "stylish".

'ya think?! [hall2_rolleyes]

"maggie" had everyone beat in the style dept.   she was the best dressed on the show.    very close second is "Carolyn"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »
willie,

a long,long time ago when i was young and innocent on this board i posted a topic called something like "maggie wears the shortest skirts".

it was about how for whatever reason the producers were more experimental with the costuming for maggie than they were with carolyn and vicki.it's true.maggie definitely had the cutest clothes.there was a kickiness to mags' wardrobe the other 'ingenue' actresses didn't get.

at some point around 1970 they went even further and tried to turn maggie into a true fashion plate with her own credit on the show that read "miss scott's clothing courtesy of junior sophisticates" or something like that.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 06:57:57 PM »
i believe it was because she has a very small waist.

regarding her short skirts.  (i did see her bloomers one time when someone picked her up!)

orbacks was a department store, i think.   don't know why they used them for fashion, because some of the outfits (esp. hall and bennet) were HIDEOUS!!!

i'm into 1897 and i find that magda and laura have been wearing the same clothes with out a wardrobe change......(EWWWWW)

plus whoever ordered the hair pieces did not really match them to the people's real hair.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 09:21:15 PM »
orbacks was a department store, i think.   don't know why they used them for fashion, because some of the outfits (esp. hall and bennet) were HIDEOUS!!!

As much as some might think that, Ohrbachs would have probably disagreed because their slogan was "high fashion at low prices."  [santa_wink]  And I'm pretty sure they had contracts with several soaps to provide and showcase their clothes. After all, there was nothing like seeing the latest outfit Liz Stoddard, Pheobe Tyler, Victoria Lord, or Erica Kane was wearing to make the average viewer run out to buy it for themselves or their wife/girlfriend, right?  [santa_grin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 09:32:07 PM »
Orbach's (I would presume the branch in Beautiful Downtown Burbank) also supplied the clothes on Laugh-in (as I learned recently via a YouTube clip--who would've thought that Laugh-in could be even more blooper-intensive than our show??). So if you want to know how to find a groovy super-mod black and white dress with matching feather boa just like JoAnne Worley had, or one of Judy Carne's kicky groovadelic microminiskirts--now you know.  Outasite!

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 05:27:59 PM »
considering that a major department store furnished the wardrobe it's surprising that they didn't get more clothing to wear...some ensembles got years of use.

elizabeth's insane chartreuse "hostess gown" thing makes it's first appearance in 1966...and it's still being worn in the h.o.d.s. movie in 1970.

julia's green tweed suit gets a good four year run.

they did seem to update the wardrobe periodically.during the 1966 episodes they seem to be wearing one set of outfits.in 1967/68 another.for late 1969/70 another.after each trip through time(where the actors don historical costume)they get a few new things.carolyn and maggie both got almost entirely new wardrobes after 1897.they splurged on 1970pt also...the outfits there from what i recall were never used in the "present" which is saying something since as a general rule they didn't think these episodes would be watched more than once and they could have saved here and thought no one would notice.it was a nice touch.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 07:04:18 PM »
julia's brown drop waist mini dress (with belt included!) EEEEECH.

actually, there was a burgundy dress that elizabeth wore (similar to her death shroud) that was actually stunning on her.

all those lime greens were hideous. 

barnabas's suits were just too small for him. 

and last night i noticed how well the men looked in there 1897 garb.  especiall quentin....(who's BRIGHT yellow shirt in paralle modern time.....jeez, gimmee the sunglasses!)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 09:43:49 PM »
I get really upset in the "Summer of 1970" storyline when Grayson wears some beautiful, exquisite new things (just love those scarves) and then all of a sudden she's back to wearing that inexpressibly hideous orange tweed horror which they practically made her live in for a certain period of 1968.

I have a theory that that drab sweater-set thing they forced her to live in for much of the Miss Hoffman period in '67 was actually burnt in the studio parking lot by the vengeful actress on a rampage once the action shifted to the Eighteenth Century.  I keep thinking that Lara Parker burned her Cassandra wigs too although even in the Sixties she probably would have needed a toxic waste permit from the City for those.

I always crack up when I remember how a friend of mine and I asked Parker at a convention once how she dealt with all those wigs as Cassandra and she batted her eyelashes and said "Cassandra?  Who was that?  Did I play that?"  I don't think my friend ever quite got over the shock.

G.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 06:22:10 PM »
speaking of wigs -- Sandor is wearing cassandra's wig!     it's funny to see it all mussed up for him.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 10:18:37 PM »
I keep thinking that at least one of Cassandra's wigs looks an awful lot like something originally worn by Buzz.

I'm just wondering how Roger would have reacted if Cassandra had suddenly snapped, while he was pouring himself yet another glass of sherry, "If ya feel it ... SIT IT!"

G.

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 08:40:53 PM »
I"m a new member here and am enjoying all the posts. Especially this one about the clothes worn. Unfortunately I have to disagree with most of you. Even though some of those clothes were truly awful, I feel a certain nostalgia when looking at them.  However, I thought that one of the housedresses that Maggie wore looked like part of a bedspread. The bottom was made out of quilted material which didn't seem to bend at all.

Nice to be here!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 10:34:56 AM »
Welcome, katrinavantassel!  Did you live through those clothes?  Willie Loomis mentioned Julia's drop-waist dress, which makes me cringe every time I see it.

Maggie's quilted thing does look sort of strange, but at the moment I'm feeling some sort of sisterhood with Maggie, because I'm sitting here at my computer with a down throw wrapped around my lower half.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 06:03:43 PM »
welcome katrina,

the clothes come up here alot.they are often the subject of mockery(the shoes in particular are objects of much derision)but i rather like them as well.

maggie's quilted maxi-skirt has been the topic of considerable discussion(a long-standing debate has been as to whether or not this garment is in fact a pair of bell-bottom pants).i prefer to think of it as a skirt but it's a mystery lost to the sands of time.

julia is also on the recieving end of much criticism but in general i think she looks quite chic(especially after she cuts her hair short).but as gothick mentions the burnt-orange tweed,farm fresh in 1968,has had it by 1970.

some of the clothes were truly ugly but mostly i think they just look dated(and in some cases majorly overworn).

one thing that i always think makes the clothing look so striking is because of the way the jaunty 1960's palette plays against the dark,somber,heavy interiors.on other shows filmed during the same time period that used contemporary sets(think "that girl!")they don't look so jarring.

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, some of the clothes were ugly but fit in with the time, if you know what I mean.
However, if I had to wear that stuff now, I don't know.... I have a think about polyester...

So, where can I find the discussion about the travelling afghans...?  [santa_azn]