Author Topic: Which D.S. M.D. Has To Pay The Most For Medical Malprctice Insurance?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Hey gang,

With all of the unusual medical "practices" in Collinsport, Maine, which doctor do you think has to shell out the most for medical malpractice insurance for his or her practice?

Is it Dr. Julia Hoffman, slightly "ethically-wishy-washy" psychiatrist, who dabbles on the side in her practice in an attempt to cure a 171-year-old vampire of his curse, resuscitate a mean-and-nasty 17th century warlock and create a female mate of questionable morality (I might add!) for a male manmade monster, suffering from a severe case of raging hormones...

Or, is it Dr. Eric Lang, surgeon/G.P./mad scientist extraordinare, who also attempts to cure that same vampire of his curse, create a new race of human beings from corpses, and also tries to remove the head of a man with, arguably, Collinsport's most lustrous and perfectly-coiffed head of hair (even more lustrous and perfectly-coiffed than Amanda Harris' stunning locks!)?

I tell you, it would probably been enough for the beloved, longtime Collinsport family physician, Dr. Dave Woodard (a/ka/ "Old Doc Woodard"), to have packed his bags and taken off for somewhere comparatively more tranquil, peaceful and definitely less expensive than Collinsport, Maine, say, like Camden, New Jersey or Gary, Indiana! [hall2_shocked] 

Bob-the-Bartender [hall2_wink]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Which D.S. M.D. Has To Pay The Most For Medical Malprctice Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 03:20:56 AM »
create a female mate of questionable morality

In all fairness sweetheart, 'Eve' wasn't supposed to be the ummm...kinda woman she was (think last minute switcheroo)!!

Or, is it Dr. Eric Lang, surgeon/G.P./mad scientist extraordinare

Who was blackmailing
POOR JEFF CLARK

[a2a3]

>:D Patti (who's still ducking!!)
What a Woman!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 07:55:32 AM »
I'd say Eric Lang would have to pay the most for his malpractice insurance.  All Julia ever did was to try to carry out her patient's wishes, but when Dr. Lang set out to complete his experiment with his Creation and Barnabas, he told Barnabas that he would be transferring Barnabas's life force from Barnabas's body to the Creation's, when in fact what Lang expected would happen was that a weird link would be set up between Barnabas and the Creation - and lo and behold, that was what happened.  The trial would have been fun to watch.  Barnabas in the witness stand would reduce the women in the jury to tears of sympathy.    Then when Lang took the stand, the judge would end up telling him that if he couldn't control his eyebrows, he would be ruled to be in contempt of court.  And after about ten minutes of deliberation, the jury would award Barnabas hundreds of millions of dollars.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 02:38:56 PM »
Then when Lang took the stand, the judge would end up telling him that if he couldn't control his eyebrows, he would be ruled to be in contempt of court.  And after about ten minutes of deliberation, the jury would award Barnabas hundreds of millions of dollars.

LMAO!

I was going to say Lang, but I think Julia has just as much to be culpable for, if not more!

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:05:50 PM »
for five years, julia erased maggie's memory, prounounced elizabeth dead a few times (esepecially after the BELLS OF EAGLE HILL RANG!), erased Maggie's memory, vehemenantly caused a vampire to be cured, but age a few hundred years, erased maggie's memory, constantly blackmailed willie into doing things by threatening to send him to Wyncliff even thought he did not need to go, erased maggie's memory, erased viki's memory, gave joe haskell acid, so he could trip dream about his cousin chris and tom, irrespnsibly handed out pills for people to pop at the slightest sign of stress, and walked around with a stake and hammer in her medical bag, erased maggie's memory, helped kill "someone", erased david's memory

you do the math.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 10:26:33 AM »
As I understand it, medical malpractice insurance covers cases in which the patient successfully sues the doctor for malpractice.  If that is the case, then the insurance company surely would not be concerned with cases in which no patient sued the doctor, or in which a suit was not successful.  That eliminates a lot of the instances cited in this topic.

1) Blackmail would not be covered as I don't think it would be considered a medical treatment.
2) Because Maggie's memory was erased, she wouldn't know enough to sue Julia for the erasure.  Anyway, it could be argued that the erasure was therapeutic.
3) Barnabas insisted on the accelerated anti-vampirism treatments against Julia's better judgment.  He knew that she didn't approve, and he knew that it was experimental, so he probably couldn't win a case against Julia.
4) Pronouncing Elizabeth dead incorrectly would be problematical, but given that Liz spent weeks in her coffin without sustenance and without fouling the coffin, I think it would be deemed a reasonable mistake on Julia's part.
5) There is no proof that Julia gave Joe acid. though it's a charming idea.
6) Nobody was going to sue Julia for handing out sedatives as if they were lollipops because they were very happy with the situation.

And so on.  Julia's insurance company probably considered her a model of medical ethics, and wished all the doctors they insured were as trouble-free.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »
well, what about helping kill.....er...."Someone"?

surely, she should be arrested, at least?

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 10:08:49 PM »
Ohhhh fanfic. DEA busts Julia for handing out tranqs like they were candy  [hall2_wink]
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 10:31:11 PM »
It's wonderful to see you posting, Luciaphil. You've been missed!  [hall2_smiley]

As for the potential of Julia ever being found guilty of malpractice, Lydia makes some excellent points as to why that probably wasn't very likely. Though that's certainly not to say that other agencies like the DEA or the police couldn't have gone after her.  [hall2_wink]  Although, one does wonder who would have actually reported her to such agencies. The Collines and the vast majority of the residents in Collinsport always seemed thrilled to have her around and welcomed her treatment.  [hall2_grin]

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 03:28:35 PM »
Yeah, except for Ned Stuart & his sister is seems like everyone else received free medical care!

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 07:29:28 PM »
her revulsion of Ned Stuart, and how he went after her friend, Chris, caused the bill.    and also, that he found "it necessary to lie...."

she always seemed to talk herself out of some pretty sticky situations, even with her deer in the headlights facial expressions and stammering.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 05:26:29 AM »
Ohhhh fanfic. DEA busts Julia for handing out tranqs like they were candy  [hall2_wink]

I can see it now: In his upcoming report, former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell of Maine names Dr. Julia Hoffman of the Wyndcliff Hospital and the great house of Collinwood (where she resides in "apparent" perpetuity), as a major supplier of anabolic steroids to numerous major league baseball players and also to one mesomorphic bruiser known only by his Christian name, Adam! [nono]

On the advice of her counsel, Mr. Tony Petersen, Dr. Hoffman offers a terse: "No comment!" [lpsldb]

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 03:42:18 AM »
at the risk of bringing up an old post----not unlike

[spoiler]Dr. Lang having Jeff Clark go out to that other graveyard and dig up parts for the soon to be Adam.[/spoiler]

I had full confidence in Dr. Eric Lang in being a board certified doc in Collinsport and on the staff of Collinsport Hospital until this week as i am watching the episodes just after
[spoiler]the car crash that sent barn and vic to the hospital after they hit that deer that was blinded by their headlights.[/spoiler]

but now i know why Dr. Lang had to use script notes taped on Roger Davis's shoulder in order to complete many scenes...wow what a potlicker...but back to my point---hmmm the good doc lost all my
votes for DR. of the year in Collinsport when he[spoiler]had what must of been a rotting pieced together monster without a head waiting for the head of Jeff Clark to complete it....what was he thinking of with that little scalple?....bloodless surgery?[/spoiler]

Dr. Lang did have one redeeming quality...remembering other actors lines....."REMEMBER DAVE WOODARD" [ghost_shocked]
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 08:55:45 AM »
Step right up, folks, and see Eric Lang, the amazing Human Teleprompter!