Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0431  (Read 1101 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0431
« on: November 19, 2007, 07:44:50 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0431
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:51:43 AM »
Golly, Vicky was even more foolish than we knew, talking about airplanes and radios.  But I like the picture that Daniel conjured up in my mind, of Vicky telling Daniel and Sarah bedtime stories about the future, and the children saying, "Tell us more, Miss Winters!  What will they eat?"

I think this is the first time we've seen Daniel.  Now that Sarah's gone, he has the responsibility for pushing the plot forward when it comes to a grinding halt.  ("Miss Winters, in the future, will plots have machines to push them?")  It's a pity we couldn't see Daniel and Sarah playing together.

I liked Abigail's hope that she would find Vicky's book in the Old House basement.  That idea wouldn't have occurred to me.

Barnabas talked today about the millions of nights ahead of him.  I suppose if you live for eternity, it is easy not to care about the lives of people who live, on average, less than a century, so who cares if you feed off a few of them?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 05:20:34 PM »
i've noticed that after 1966/67 david henesy's characters tend to disappear for weeks at a time.i wonder if it was a school related thing?

as lydia points out daniel does not appear until very late in the 1795 storyline.david also goes missing for much of 1968...after a few cassandra moments he doesn't really have much material until the start of the quentin storyline.daniel is absent for much of 1970 parallel-time.

i'm currently watching 1840 and tad doesn't show up until late in the storyline either despite all the build-up that character got in 1970...and then of course disappears entirely when david henesy leaves the series for good.

which begs the question...the relationship between whatever child happened to be living at collinwood in a given time period and his/her governess(victoria,maggie,rachel,daphne)was always an important part of the plot.if the storyline had returned to the "present" after 1840 with both kathryn leigh scott and david henesy gone i wonder if they would have had some new child relative(think "oliver" on the brady bunch)come in or would that part of the story be dispensed with?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 05:28:50 PM »
Hi MSC, I believe that in Sam Hall's article based on his notes for what would have happened with the storyline in 1971, he mentioned the arrival of Tracy, to be played by Kate Jackson, a new governess for David and presumably Hallie and a new love interest for Quentin.

I hope you have had the chance to read David Henesy's brief essay in one of the recent Pom Press books.  It would be really great if he wrote a book length memoir about his time on DS.  He said in the earlier piece that was published that he has crystal-clear recall of those long-ago days.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 07:35:37 PM »
I like the picture that Daniel conjured up in my mind, of Vicky telling Daniel and Sarah bedtime stories about the future, and the children saying, "Tell us more, Miss Winters!  What will they eat?   Miss Winters, in the future, will plots have machines to push them?"

Barnabas talked today about the millions of nights ahead of him.  I suppose if you live for eternity, it is easy not to care about the lives of people who live, on average, less than a century, so who cares if you feed off a few of them?

Isn't it great, how good television can broaden your perspective?   And cause one to lose respect for human life?   Wait, maybe that's a bit too broad.....

I'd enjoy a regular segment or series called "Miss Vicki's Crazy Bed-Time Tales"... at the end of each episode, Trask ties Victoria to the tree again....

I LOLd re the mechanical Plot Pusher.

Daniel and Sarah never met, eh?    Did Daniel ever meet Angelique?    'Cause, he remembers her quite a bit in 1840, then not so much....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 01:47:50 AM »
that's funny that they were going to persue a david-and-his-governess type scenario into 1971 and beyond.

as it was they were pushing the borders of credulity with maggie and david and hallie in 1970...but a year or so later it would have been beyond ridiculous that either of these kids required the services of a governess.

by that point they both would have been well into their teenage years and david would have been just about old enough to date "tracy" or whatever they planned to call her.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 05:32:59 PM »
If DS did return to the present time 1971, David would either be away or recast.  If DS wasn't cancelled, eventually another actor would have to take over the part.

I doubt they would have used a governess anymore.

They should have made up a new family (with Kate Jackson & new actors) to play against the Collines.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:56:07 PM »
Kate Jackson would have been a legitimate VW replacement, if her timing had been a little different.   I mean, she as Victoria would have worked perfectly.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:24:36 PM »
All I can say first off, is that I absolutely love Ben in this episode!  [hall2_cool]

I loved seeing Abigail so perplexed by Daniel's list! And the way he backtalked Abigail was excellent!  [hall2_grin]

I couldn't picture Kate Jackson as Victoria.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 09:45:09 AM »
The last scene, when Abigail saw Barnabas rise from his coffin, was one of the best scenes! [clap2] Kudos to Clarice Blackburn and Jonathan Frid for their performances today! [cheer] I actually knew what Barnabas was going to say before he said it! [winkg] Curiosity killed the cat! [cat] (But I can't say I'm sorry to see her go!) [gring]

Yes, indeed, Ben had a very good rapport with children. I loved the scene between Ben and Daniel. Daniel looked quite handsome in this episode. [luv] Daniel had just as much curiosity as David. I guess it's a Collins family trait!  [hall2_rolleyes]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]