Author Topic: OT: Theodore Mann memoir & Grayson Hall  (Read 894 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
OT: Theodore Mann memoir & Grayson Hall
« on: November 17, 2007, 07:16:49 PM »
Theodore Mann, Artistic Director for the New York Circle in the Square repertory company has recently published his memoirs.  Mann and director Jose Quintero mounted the premiere US production of Jean Genet's The Balcony for which Grayson is widely remembered in the role (for over a year) as Madam Irma.   Mann mentions Grayson 2-3 times in the book but there are no photos.  Worthwhile to checkout from the local library.  He provided two very gracious interviews for the Grayson Hall biography.

amazon link: Amazon.com: Journeys in the Night: Creating a New American Theatre with Circle in the Square: A Memoir: Books: Theodore Mann
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: OT: Theodore Mann memoir & Grayson Hall
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »
Just a quick note. . there are mentions and photos of other DS Alumni in the book as well.. including Mitch Ryan and Elizabeth Wilson.
Julia99

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:16:03 PM »
Thanks for this interesting news.  I look forward to seeing the book.

I thought I knew EVeryone who played on Dark Shadows, but I draw a blank at the name Elizabeth Wilson.

I thought it was a real hoot when I was reading Stuart Little's Off Broadway history years ago when researching Grayson's career, and learned that one of the leading lights of the OB stage back in the early 1960s, at least in the eyes of many who followed it then, was none other than a certain character actor named.... Addison Powell!  *faints*

G.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 06:35:27 PM »
I thought I knew EVeryone who played on Dark Shadows, but I draw a blank at the name Elizabeth Wilson.

I believe she was the woman who helped Victoria get the job with the Collinses. .she was only on two episodes, Mrs. Hopewell. She is better known as Dustin Hoffman's mother in The Graduate or Roz Keith in 9 to 5 "bon journo" she said in the film while enroute to language class after Lily, Dolly and Jane sent her away or the classic scene where she's writing up their conversation on toilet paper in the ladies room.  .
Julia99

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 07:17:14 AM »
Yes, Elizabeth Wilson was Mrs. Hopewell.   She also did an imitation Southern accent on top of an imitation German accent in the movie The Addams Family.  It may be my favorite moment in that movie.