Author Topic: am i a nerd?  (Read 5710 times)

Offline Bouchard

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique Bouchard is the BEST
    • View Profile
am i a nerd?
« on: May 21, 2002, 02:13:17 AM »
?!?i LOVE this show, and i always get into the storyline, no matter what episode! but, my brother watches it, cuz he has nothing to do, and he's always dissing it and saying it has bad acting and everything, but i LOVE it and i think it's REALLY good! am i just some big nerd??

There's now something in my signature, because I do want something in my signature

~~BrandonBouchard

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: am i a nerd?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2002, 02:19:27 AM »
Only people with a deep appreciation for subtlety, creativity and inventiveness can truly enjoy the depth of Dark Shadows.  It takes an incredible amount of maturity to understand the psychoanalytical nature of it.  And if your brother bugs you again, short-sheet his bed!

Gerard

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2002, 03:08:11 AM »
Let me guess, does your brother a WWF fan?   >:( I honestly think there is a lot to what Gerard said. It seems like stupid people just can't get the depth that there is to DS. I'll admit that we may read more into it than was originally there, but to watch it and just say "Stupid show, bad acting" seems the height of doltishness.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2002, 08:08:24 AM »
Just join the club  we're very deep here! LOL

jennifer
and do what gerard says!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2002, 08:21:20 AM »
Don't feel bad, my whole family does that 2 me. Just smile and pity them because they don't understand it, and you do :D After all, they don't know what they're missing.... 8)
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2002, 08:28:08 AM »
?!?i LOVE this show, and i always get into the storyline, no matter what episode! but, my brother watches it, cuz he has nothing to do, and he's always dissing it and saying it has bad acting and everything, but i LOVE it and i think it's REALLY good! am i just some big nerd??

No! You are definetely not a nerd! If you love the show, then don't worry about what anyone else says to you about it. If your brother doesn't like it that much, then why is he watching with you? Apparently, he can't dislike it that much or he wouldn't be sitting there watching it with you. No matter how bored I am, you wouldn't catch me watching a show I didn't like. So keep watching and enjoy the show. :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2002, 08:51:36 AM »

The show has its share of good and bad moments.  The first time around, I tended to go along with the story whether I thought it was particularly interesting or not simply because I wanted to see where everything would lead.  I think I was more accepting of the various plot points then; I've become a little pickier this time around.

As for the acting, it may not have been Oscar caliber, but it wasn't that bad.  In fact, with a few exceptions, I've found the DS players to be extremely skilled.  Given the circumstances under which they had to work, they had to put so much more energy into each performance than modern TV actors.  Their efforts had to transcend the cramped sets and the sometimes-questionable scripts, and they didn't have a very large time frame in which to make it all work.  With all of that in mind, it makes the numerous exceptional performances (read the "Favorite Scenes" topic) that much more admirable.  I'd like to see Tom Cruise or Jennifer Aniston try to strut their stuff in that environment.  

To tell the truth, I never used to really notice just how many things went wrong with the show.  Oh, some of the mistakes were pretty glaring (e.g. Bathia Mapes) but I didn't spend time looking out for all of the microphone shadows and cameramen cameos.  I was too focused on the story to let my attention drift to all of the other things.  Now that I know what happens next, I can afford to pick up on what goes on in the background, but it doesn't diminish my affection for the show.  On the whole, I think that DS is a lot of fun, and I'm sorry for the people who are too blinded by flashy special effects, sex, and violence to appreciate it.  

ProfStokes

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2002, 04:12:05 PM »
Well put everyone! And, DarkShadows, how sad for your brother that you got all the imagination in the family [thumb]. I think you should get a few DS T-shirts, one of those big latte cups, a Barnabas ring, and a few other assorted pieces of memorabilia to prominently wear or display around your house.  Drive him up the wall! [crazd]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2002, 05:15:28 PM »
Well put everyone! And, DarkShadows, how sad for your brother that you got all the imagination in the family [thumb]. I think you should get a few DS T-shirts, one of those big latte cups, a Barnabas ring, and a few other assorted pieces of memorabilia to prominently wear or display around your house.  Drive him up the wall! [crazd]

Well said also CastleBee
i'm thinking of getting a few of those items for those
in my family who chose to make fun of me ;D

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2002, 07:09:31 PM »
*stands up and applaudes for ProfStokes* Very well put, Professor!  ;D
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2002, 07:49:12 PM »
In this day and age of computer generated special effects and short attention span acting and writing, I find Dark Shadows to be an oasis in today's state of TV.  It is great to see real actors interact, and carry a good storyline over the course of months and don't treat the viewer as if they were 6 years old.

deron

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2002, 07:49:15 PM »
There's no real middle ground with "Dark Shadows" -- people either seem to love it or hate it.

And I suppose that's not entirely surprising.  On a technical and stylistic level, it really represents an era of television that just doesn't exist any more.  Viewers today watching the show are continually asked to overlook the shortcomings of a frantic, underfunded production, something they otherwise simply don't experience.

"Dark Shadows" is a curate's egg throughout -- if you're willing to take the leap and enjoy it at face value without cynicism, it's amongst some of the most rewarding television you're ever likely to encounter.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline elizabeth

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2002, 09:25:56 PM »
You hit it right on the head Deron  ;).  Seems todays viewers want instance action, special effects, naked people etc  :(.  When I watch DS my mind is going a mile a minute.   I think about the lines, performances, settings, camera work and yes the bloopers.  Because they are all very creative and entertaining.   Also the actors/actresses have interesting faces that I enjoy looking at.  No bobby/ken dolls here.  Yet each face is a pleasure.  In my opinion the actings is superior :).  and I believe Dan curtis choose the actors for their voices.  Trained, professional and clear.   Very unlike many of todays with their nasal even irritating voices. (maybe to many nose jobs.).  By the way, I love the way Elizabeth says her A's.     J

I must go to my room and rest.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2002, 12:00:12 AM »
The only person in my family who doesn't like Dark Shadows is my dad. I think it's because of his strict religious beliefs, especially regarding witchcraft. I never heard of anybody who loves Dark Shadows being called a nerd. If so, then I must really be one. My huge master bedroom looks like the display room at the Dark Shadows Festival!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2002, 12:02:20 AM »
In this day and age of computer generated special effects and short attention span acting and writing, I find Dark Shadows to be an oasis in today's state of TV.  It is great to see real actors interact, and carry a good storyline over the course of months and don't treat the viewer as if they were 6 years old.

deron

Perhaps a lot of people have never been to a live stage play. It is quite a different experience than watching a movie or TV show and in many ways much more enjoyable. That's what watching DS is like - it's like watching a play. Yes, there are flubbed lines, but most of these are forgiveable. In real life people stumble over their own words, they don't deliver perfectly rehearsed dialogues, so in some ways it seems even more "real" because of the flubs.

I also agree wholeheartedly with Elizabeth about the actors - the criteria for today's daytime TV is all about looks. All the performers are models, not actors. I don't know about the rest of you but I really can't relate to an entire town filled with models. DS used real ACTORS - people who looked like real people.