Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0427  (Read 1173 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0427
« on: November 13, 2007, 07:46:09 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0427
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 08:56:40 AM »
As Trask told the court about writing Vicky's initials on the ground during the exorcism, I thought how surprised he would have been if, instead of Victoria Winters, a VW beetle had come tootling out of the Old House.

Abigail has given lots of hearsay evidence at the trial, but she was an eyewitness to Joshua's appearance in a puff of smoke in Vicky's room, and that definitely doesn't sound good for Vicky.  The trial as a whole is very frustrating because of its irregularity and because of the idiocy of various parties, but it is also very interesting.  My immediate response is always, "Witches don't exist, but you can't really blame people for believing in them when there are no scientific explanations for various natural phenomena."  But in the Dark Shadows world, witches do exist, and a trial for witchcraft is a reasonable course of action.  It's just that they're trying the wrong person. And I wonder: could anybody ever manage to get Angelique arrested, tried, and convicted for her crimes?  It makes me very glad that I don't believe in witchcraft.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 04:47:02 PM »
As Trask told the court about writing Vicky's initials on the ground during the exorcism, I thought how surprised he would have been if, instead of Victoria Winters, a VW beetle had come tootling out of the Old House.

LOL........

Trask would have produced it in evidence, as Victoria's personal Satanmobile.    She'd had it monogrammed, after all.   Or, he'd see it as a demon and a living thing, and would try to get it convicted and hanged.  
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 10:57:46 PM »
It's so unfortunate that Roger Davis shouts nearly all of his courtroom lines.  ::)

The trial as a whole is very frustrating because of its irregularity and because of the idiocy of various parties, but it is also very interesting.

Definitely.  In 1968, I remember feeling very frustrated by it too, and also frightened by what Trask and this particular court represented.  A vengeful dead witch and ravenous vampire were horror fare, but injustice was a frighteningly real concept to my twelve year old self.  That said, however...

My immediate response is always, "Witches don't exist, but you can't really blame people for believing in them when there are no scientific explanations for various natural phenomena."  But in the Dark Shadows world, witches do exist, and a trial for witchcraft is a reasonable course of action.  It's just that they're trying the wrong person. And I wonder: could anybody ever manage to get Angelique arrested, tried, and convicted for her crimes?  It makes me very glad that I don't believe in witchcraft.

I was familiar with practicing witches then, and still am, so... gosh, what I'm trying to say it that I'm confused by your disbelief.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:09:04 AM »
I thought this episode was very exciting and dramatic! [hall_shocked]  I agree that, even though I hate Trask, his actions in the courtroom were what made it so exciting and dramatic. That must have been very scary for Vicki to be on trial for witchcraft, especially since she was innocent! [shkdg] It's a wonder she could function at all. I would have been a basket case if it were me. [crazy2]

It always strikes me as strange that everyone except for the judges have to stand up. So different from the courts there are nowadays. [hall2_rolleyes]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hall2_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 11:12:33 PM »
Because of the continuing attacks in the village, Barnabas is unintentionally effecting Vicki's trial and innocence.

Boy, Abigail is sure enjoying herself during the trial. It's like her fifteen minutes of fame.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 12:16:39 PM »
Boy, Abigail is sure enjoying herself during the trial. It's like her fifteen minutes of fame.
Nice!

I was familiar with practicing witches then, and still am, so... gosh, what I'm trying to say it that I'm confused by your disbelief.
That gave me pause, but I'm standing by my disbelief.  If witchcraft were effective, then I think we'd hear about many more inexplicable deaths than we do.  But then, I'm a disbeliever by nature.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 03:31:04 PM »
In real life, I think we're talking about more of a religion.    Ang doesn't seem to worship anything or anyone, though.    She was purely a "powers" witch.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor