Author Topic: DVD Long-Term Availability  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Long-Term Availability
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 07:09:23 AM »
But, at first glance, I see several residents of Collinwood (perhaps from an alternate universe). ...unidentified family member...

Doctor Lang!   [hall2_wink]

Very funny, Brian.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 10:44:12 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the first-generation DVD format doesn't go the way of vinyl LPs in the not all that far distant future. It's also up in the air as to whether or not MPI would upgrade/rerelease the DS episodes on whichever one of the two second-generation formats comes out on top. So, it could be doubtful that MPI would continue producing DS DVDs in their first-generation DVD format for decades to come once the second-generation DVD format takes hold (like VHS killed Beta when it came to videotape). It's possible that we'll see the availability of the DS DVDs in their present form for another decade - certainly on sites like eBay. But, unless MPI does indeed rerelease some sort of upgraded sets, to expect the current sets to be around for decades on sites like Amazon or Deep Discount is probably wishful thinking.  [hall2_sad]

I hadn't checked back on the board for a while and just found your message, MB. Changing technology and the possibility that DVDs will become obsolete is discouraging. I know that it should be exciting since new technologies are generally an improvement over the old formats. But I'm feeling a little panicky again now ... But thanks for presenting a realisitic outlook.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 07:35:04 AM »
I hope to eventually have the entire DS series on DVD, but so far have only been able to purchase a few of the sets (usually when here's a sale).
I don't know if this will help you but www.deepdiscount.com is starting to sell the Beginning DVDs.  The first and second set are out already.  This site also offers 20% discounts on top of their already discounted prices so if you ask for their email ads, they will email you the ads when they have their sales.  They just had one and I purchased the second box for about $29. minus 20%.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 07:09:53 AM »
Thanks, Jackie.  Yes, I knew about "deepdiscountdvd" (as it was formerly known) through this forum.  [hall2_smiley]

I'm grateful that they do offer the lowest prices on DS sets (along with the widest selection of DVDs I've found anywhere).  Hopefully, I will be getting two DS sets for Christmas - having placed the order myself at the last possible moment of their recent sale.  I made a mistake in ordering, though, and ordered one that I already had.  I immediately e-mailed them asking if they could make a substitution, and am hoping for the best but haven't heard anything. They've always provided excellent service so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and looking forward to the last two collections of the series.  Maybe not the best way to order, I suppose I should go in sequential order ...  [hall2_rolleyes]
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 06:42:55 PM »
The latest rumors I've been hearing is that commercial marketing of DVDs or Blue Rays or whatever may all become obsolescent in the not too distant future as the industry moves towards a model of having people pay to download stuff from secure sites onto their hard drives (or TIVO loops or whatever).  Since the cost for the download to the owner/proprietor would be more or less nonexistent this is as close to a model of pure profit as one could get.  In some cases limited-issue sets may be marketed as collectibles to a small niche of specialized consumers--look at Time-Life's new release (still impending) of the Man from UNCLE episodes as an example of what this looks like.

It's all enough to make this old Luddite's head spin!

G.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 07:23:15 AM »
it's bullshit is what it is. i prefer the standard dvd myself.  buut i think it was blue-ray my brother believes won't last long. i mean look at the playstation movies they i think stopped making them cause people realized HOW STUPID it is to buy movies for a video game system when they could buy a film to watch on your tv & on your dvd player.  well there's my 2 cents peeps. hehe

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 06:31:33 PM »
Video technology has changed extremely rapidly in recent years. There are already two completely different second-generation DVD technologies available as it is (HD DVD and Blu-ray).

And apparently we have a winner: Blu-ray Wins!: Toshiba Officially Turfs HD-DVD

And, frankly, I couldn't be happier that Blu-ray has come out on top - not because I prefer it to HD DVD (I had no real preference for either), but because of Microsoft's connection to HD DVD. Any time something associated with Microsoft goes down in flames, it's a time to celebrate:

[clap2] [cheerleader] [beer] [clap] [banana] [occasion18] [crowdhappy] [occasion18] [banana] [clap] [beer] [cheerleader] [clap2]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »
There's a decent Wikipedia article about Blu-Ray that I skimmed through over the weekend.  From what it says, it appears likely that Blu-Ray players WILL be able to play older tech stuff (i.e. the older recensions of DVDs).

It will be interesting to see what develops from this point on, and whether the Industry will be able to coax consumers down yet another yellow-brick road of upgrading any and all movies and shows they own to the new format.  I'm not holding my breath.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »
it appears likely that Blu-Ray players WILL be able to play older tech stuff (i.e. the older recensions of DVDs).

They do. It's just that Blu-ray players don't play HD DVD and vice versa.

It will be interesting to see what develops from this point on, and whether the Industry will be able to coax consumers down yet another yellow-brick road of upgrading any and all movies and shows they own to the new format.  I'm not holding my breath.

Well, like I said, I doubt that a lot of product will ever be upgraded to the newest formats. Big titles with broad appeal probably will if upgrading improves them in any way. But so long as the new generation players continue to be backward compatible (meaning they'll play older DVD formats), it's probably not likely smaller titles will be upgraded/reissued.

Given how quickly video technology changes, what will be funny is that in 20 years people will probably be laughing hysterically that there ever was something as "antiquated" as DVD. Who knows what will ultimately replace it - but something surely will. Though in 20 years most of us will probably be too old to care.  [lghy]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 10:09:38 PM »
What staggers me is how the popularity of DS appears to be soaring.  Every month seems to bring a new bounty of press cuttings and pop culture references to the series.  And it hasn't been on any channel's schedule in several years now!

I would never have thought that something as lo-fi and "unique" as our beloved show would turn out to be the darling of the iWhatever age.

G.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 01:01:24 AM »
i agree 100% IF memory serves right, i don't think the cast itself, hell even the crew, the writers etc.. themselves thought that in now 42 yrs. the show would be on dvd, tv well at some point anyways, & NEW fans would LOVE it like we do. conventions & so on. even they said they were QUITE surprised when they started doing conventions for just a little tv show. & than there's the people who are obsessed with the film "The P.I Adventure" just a little film about a sinking ship. they do conventions for that, role playing as well. i remember seeing that on tv a few yrs. ago THAT disturbs me to be honest. D.S. i can see cause that had HOW many good story lines

PLUS god knows how many costumes from the different periods as well. PLUS well you see my point i'm getting at i'm sure. anyways, as for dvd's.  ayuh i agree with the format comment. in 20 yrs. i'll be turning 50. & knowing me i'll prolly care but who knows maybe i won't. all dvd's are really IF  you really honestly think about it is just miniture laserdisc's.   Laserdisc's. were the way of the future for HOW LONG? & they had something before that i forget what that was called. buut Laserdisc's  were EXTREMLY EXPENSIVE!  some weren't. buut you go & find "It's a mad mad mad mad world" on laserdisc way back when & that cost i think $60 bucks ? when the dvd itself while it was in print, i don't i don't think it is anymore. buut when it was in print, $15-20 bucks maybe cheaper depending on where you go. buut yes, in short i wonder what will replace
dvd's at some point? my guess is that they prolly will get even SMALLER! what isn't these days ? cell phones are getting for some unknown reasons smaller! i don't understand that myself.  isn't it MUCH HARDER NOW To find your celly than it was 5 or 10 yrs ago? am i right? anyways i'm sorry about rambling on like this. i can at times get carried away. hehe

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 02:38:29 PM »
I almost wonder if Blu-Ray will ever catch on.  They had the same thing with audio Cd's, they came out with two new formats, super audio CD and DVD-audio.  they had a big war just like they did with Blu-Ray and HD DVD, and when it was over, nobody bought them.  They're just a niche market thing now.  I can see the same thing happening with Blu-Ray.  Most people (myself included) are perfectly happy with standard DVD's.  There's no huge jump in quality like there was between VHS and DVD.  Most of the stuff I watch is not big budget Hollywood stuff, and isn't filmed on equipment that would benefit in any way from a high definition DVD.  And then there's the problem with the stuff Hollywood churns out being as unpopular as ever.

Who knows.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 04:18:32 PM »
I can see the same thing happening with Blu-Ray.  Most people (myself included) are perfectly happy with standard DVD's.  There's no huge jump in quality like there was between VHS and DVD.
I would beg to differ with you on that. Last summer, I rented Letters from Iwo Jima from Netflix, and the rental DVD was two-sided with HD DVD and standard formats. After watching the full movie in HD, I put in the standard version just to see if I could tell the difference. It was like night and day, even down to the clarity of the lettering in the subtitles.

When the DVD format was introduced, some people said they saw no real improvement over VHS. In fact, I'm sure I can probably find some folks here on this board who still won't make the jump from VHS to DVD with their DS episodes. My guess is that their not seeing an improvement across formats has more to do with the money involved in making the switch than it does with the actual quality. That financial argument I can buy. The argument that there is no actual improvement in quality I can't.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »
I posted two screen captures in this topic:
to illustrate the difference between the quality of the DS DVDs vs. the VHS - and it's quite noticeable. Absolutely no offense to the actual blind or seeing impaired, but anyone would have to be blind not to perceive it.  ;)  Though as you say, I'm sure there are those who'll deny it...

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 06:32:42 PM »
well, i find that the condition of the tapes on the DVDs  astounds me, for such an old show.   They are in good condition all things considered.

although, i don't understand why they couldn't colorize the episodes that were missing and shown in black and white.    i mean, really, at 50.00 a clip that's not asking too much.