Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0426  (Read 1033 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0426
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:41:24 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0426
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:15:13 PM »
I just loved Millicent's get-up today - black for Nathan's betrayal, and it looked as though there were black butterflies in her hair.  And maybe she's smarter than anybody else at Collinwood.  Naomi pointed out to Joshua that there was just about nobody anymore that one could think about without pain.  Here's Millicent starting to lose her grip on her sanity - and maybe shutting out reality is the only way to live with all that has happened and is going to happen at Collinwood.  Anyway, Millicent was great to watch today.

Barnabas doesn't quite get it.  He says he'll never love again - but the curse wasn't about the people he loved; it was about the people who loved him.  I suppose he figures that nobody will love him if he doesn't love them - but he's wrong.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:46:19 AM »
This is the one brief period, one or two episodes, where I like Millicent, when she's gloomy and cynical, before she starts cheering herself back up through fantasy.    Maybe it's only two conversations, one with Joshua and Naomi in the Drawing Room, and with Ben in the crypt.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 04:08:03 AM »
A fabulous exchange, delivered perfectly!--

Joshua:  You have a very vivid imagination.
Millicent:  Sir, I have none.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:44:40 AM »
I loved the (fur-lined?) dress that Naomi wore in this episode. She looked very elegant. [winkg]

Yes, indeed, Nancy Barrett did a wonderful job playing a slightly-over-the-edge Millicent. [clap2] Nathan, the cad, broke her heart. [cryg]

Of course, Jonathan Frid did a fabulous job as the grieving Barnabas. [clap2] He looked so sad and dejected. [bawl] I agree, Barnabas is wrong about the love thing - it's who loves him, not who he loves.

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hall2_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 11:02:49 PM »
Ben was quite at a loss as how to deal with the half-mad Millicent, and I don't blame him.

Joshua sounded quite panicked when he insisted to Millicent that Barnabas was in England.

Why couldn't Joshua defend Millicent's honor? Why did it have to be Barnabas?
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 12:03:32 PM »
Why couldn't Joshua defend Millicent's honor? Why did it have to be Barnabas?
Great question, which somehow hadn't occurred to me before.  I think the answer is:  When Millicent gets an idea into her head, God help anybody who tries to disabuse her of it.  Probably Barnabas's duel with Jeremiah made Millicent somehow decide that he was the right person to fight a duel with Nathan, and anybody else would just be wrong.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 03:39:40 PM »
Barnabas was a young man of action, or something, and his father was a stuffy rich old man who would pay an enemy off rather than fight, even if he were younger.    I think he'd have told Millicent "What utter nonsense!" 

Duels weren't routine at this point.    I think they were more of a tradition that people weren't following as much as the years went on.     I think the general practice, among rich people, anyway, was to have their lawyers haggle with each other until some compromise could be worked out, that would allow both parties to back out and still save face.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor