Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0420  (Read 1263 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0420
« on: November 02, 2007, 06:02:52 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0420
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:03:42 AM »
So Josette finally wore down Barnabas's resistance, and by the time she did, I couldn't feel that it was wrong despite the fact that it was indeed wrong.  How will Josette's personality change if she becomes a vampire?

Gosh, Jane Draper had a field day playing Suki.  But I am surprised that Suki was so upset by seeing Barnabas at the window.  Even if his face was evil, one gets the impression that Suki already has a nodding acquaintance with evil.

The other day I finally figured out a good reason for the cut-and-paste voiceover - "A seance has been held at the great house of Collinwood..."   Its purpose is not to help viewers get accustomed to the idea of time-travelling.  Rather, the purpose is to remind them that the time-travelling is taking place, and to emphasize that 1967-8 is still the home base of the series.  A new viewer might have no idea that the present-day Collins family exists.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:07:22 AM »
The other day I finally figured out a good reason for the cut-and-paste voiceover - "A seance has been held at the great house of Collinwood..."   Its purpose is not to help viewers get accustomed to the idea of time-travelling.  Rather, the purpose is to remind them that the time-travelling is taking place, and to emphasize that 1967-8 is still the home base of the series.  A new viewer might have no idea that the present-day Collins family exists.
Good point, Lydia. [ideag] That makes sense. [winkg]

I loved the scenes when Suki came to Collinwood as Nathan's "sister" - she was a real hoot! [hall_wink] Nathan sure was hot under the collar, thinking the jig was up!  [hall2_shocked]

Yes, indeed, the last scene, when Barnabas succumed to his desire and bit Josette, was very romantic. [love8]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hall2_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »
i always think it's strange that viewers who come to the show during one of the time travel periods becomes familiar with those characters first and then have to be "introduced" to the present time characters who are in effect "new" to them even though those characters had been with the show first.

this must have been especially true of the 1897 period because it lasted so long and had also been the series most highly rated storyline...meaning lots and lots of viewers had never seen any of the present time episodes and had no idea who those characters were.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:31:57 PM »
Something needs to be said about Suki's hat, but I got nothin'....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 09:38:39 PM »
Yes, it sort of leaves one speechless.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 12:02:21 AM »
i always think it's strange that viewers who come to the show during one of the time travel periods becomes familiar with those characters first and then have to be "introduced" to the present time characters who are in effect "new" to them even though those characters had been with the show first.

That is exactly how I was introduced to the series, with the 1795 characters first, so it was quite difficult to become accustomed to the present-day characters.

Something needs to be said about Suki's hat, but I got nothin'....

What's wrong with suki's hat?
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 11:08:11 AM »
It makes her several feet taller, so nothing....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 07:46:53 AM »

this must have been especially true of the 1897 period because it lasted so long and had also been the series most highly rated storyline...meaning lots and lots of viewers had never seen any of the present time episodes and had no idea who those characters were.

I started very early on in the series, I guess, so the present-day characters were always the anchor for me.  However, a few years back, I was telling a friend (roughly my age) that I was watching DS again.  I was shocked when she thought of the show in terms of Quentin and Count Petofi and others of that ilk and had no recollection whatsover of Elizabeth, Carolyn, Roger etc.  That really caught me by surprise.

I love how Barnabas keeps coming back to Josette to tell her he can't keep coming back to her.  Talk about your cognitive dissonance!