Author Topic: Temptation with the FF button  (Read 2172 times)

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Temptation with the FF button
« on: May 20, 2002, 12:53:00 AM »
I have finally gotten to the point in the series where I have seen every episode.  I always tape the show and watch it with my wife after work.  This is the first time she has seen these episodes at this point, but I find myself tempted to fast foward through most of the dream curse until they come to the last door.

I didn't because my wife hasn't seen them, but on the last one, she told me to fast foward.  I love Dark Shadows and have so since I was young, but the Dream Curse sequences and even the characters passing along the curse by telling their dream to someone else is really getting ....  well you know.

Once again, I can't wait for Nicolas Blair to knock on the front door of Collinwood for the first time!!! :)

deron

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Temptation with the FF button
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2002, 04:56:24 AM »
Oh, no, don't do that!!!! Seems rather sacrireligious somehow. I admit that there are moments that I don't pay a great deal of attention. You know, it is funny the dream curse isn't bothering me as much this time around. YET.  :P
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2002, 05:17:30 AM »
I know, I know.  I thought long and hard about posting that! :)

I guess I said that as sort of a confession.  I'll try harder next time the curse comes around.  

I've been a bad boy! :'(

deron

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2002, 04:56:23 PM »
I'm with you deron i hate the dream curse! ::)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2002, 05:19:14 PM »
The first time I saw the Dream Curse episodes, I found them riveting.  But then again, I was much younger and less cynical--plus, they were brand-new eps and I couldn't wait to see them!

Now, I'm a lot older, much more cynical and I've seen the Dream Curse at least 4 times.  

I think that's enough punishment for anyone!

Love, Robin

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2002, 08:58:57 PM »
The first time I saw the Dream Curse episodes, I found them riveting.  But then again, I was much younger and less cynical--plus, they were brand-new eps and I couldn't wait to see them!

Now, I'm a lot older, much more cynical and I've seen the Dream Curse at least 4 times.  

I think that's enough punishment for anyone!

Love, Robin

Robin, you perfectly articulated my own feelings on the dream curse--then and now!
But I can now appreciate other aspects of the show  more than I did when I was (much) younger--particularly Thayer David's performance as Prof. Stokes.  Some of Stokes' dialogue alone makes it worth sitting through that dream curse mess!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2002, 09:08:47 PM »
Don't feel guilty, Deron.  I do a bit of FFing myself when I'm watching the tape.  This is my least favorite plot/storyline of the show.  I never cared for the Adam schtick, and the dream curse does start to get repetitive, although - fortunately - as it progresses the directors do a bit of their own FFing during it.  I'm just biding my time until Amy and Chris join the antics and a whole new plot begins.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2002, 09:36:43 PM »
I always thought the idea of a dream curse was a stroke of genius, but unfortunately, as others have pointed out, it didn't play out well.

A similar idea is in a 1950s movie called "Night of the Demon" or sometimes "Curse of the Demon".  It's based on a creepy short story by M.R. James called "Casting the Runes."  In the film, the powerful leader of a cult of devil worshippers, in order to protect himself from scrutiny, imposes a curse that's in actuality a death sentence on the men he feels pose a threat to him by having them accept a scrap of paper on which it's written.  The only way the recipient can save himself from the completion of the curse at a predetermined time is to pass the curse along in time-- assuming the paper on which the curse is written remains intact-- but the recipient must (again) accept it willingly.

Does anyone know of any other possible inspiration for the dream curse story?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2002, 09:52:26 PM »
E.F. Benson's short story "The Room in the Tower" involves a dream that comes repeatedly, and changes each time....but the same person has the dream for years and years.  The "horror" that is ultimately revealed involves a woman who committed suicide, was buried in unhallowed ground, and who's portrait hangs in various places in the house. She's waiting to "feast" upon the man who sleeps in the tower room. Her name was Julia (Stone).  

Rainey

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2002, 12:06:38 AM »
This being the first time I'm seeing it, I think the dream curse is really kewl. What I don't like are all these freaking ENDLESS scenes with the late [yaaaay] Lang and Barnabus and Julia. OMG, just let them read their scripts!!! AHHHHHHHHH YAAAACHKKK!!!!!! I fell asleep watching DS the other night..........  :-[ shame on me! But it was all Lang and going ON and ON and ON and OOOOOOONNNNNNNN about Adam and i'm like Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sheesh!  :-/
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2002, 01:43:03 AM »
When my Mom was visiting recently, she continued on with my MPI videos, from where the Sci Fi Channel left off on Dark Shadows on that Friday, and at some point during the Dream Curse, she asked me if she could watch my favorite tapes with Craig Slocum on them, she said she was getting tired of the Dream Curse!
?!?
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2002, 02:38:20 AM »
I always thought the idea of a dream curse was a stroke of genius, but unfortunately, as others have pointed out, it didn't play out well.

A similar idea is in a 1950s movie called "Night of the Demon" or sometimes "Curse of the Demon".  It's based on a creepy short story by M.R. James called "Casting the Runes."  In the film, the powerful leader of a cult of devil worshippers, in order to protect himself from scrutiny, imposes a curse that's in actuality a death sentence on the men he feels pose a threat to him by having them accept a scrap of paper on which it's written.  The only way the recipient can save himself from the completion of the curse at a predetermined time is to pass the curse along in time-- assuming the paper on which the curse is written remains intact-- but the recipient must (again) accept it willingly.

Does anyone know of any other possible inspiration for the dream curse story?

I love that movie, Midnite!  AMC plays it every once in awhile.  It still creeps out to this day.  I remember reading that there was a real debate about whether or not to show the demon in full view at the end, or just glimpses of it.  The first time I saw it, I automatically figured it was the source of the dream curse plotline.

Gerard

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2002, 03:37:08 AM »
This is my first time seeing the dream curse..I like Cassandra and some aspects of the dream curse, but it gets repetitive. You see the same things over and over again until the new door finally arrives. And Dr. Lang...don't get me started on him! He was pretty annoying...and really overacted. Let's just say I was happy when Cassandra accidently killed him. Since then I've grown to appreciate Mrs. Johnson and Cassandra more then I did before.  ;)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2002, 04:48:14 AM »
E.F. Benson's short story "The Room in the Tower" involves a dream that comes repeatedly, and changes each time....but the same person has the dream for years and years.  The "horror" that is ultimately revealed involves a woman who committed suicide, was buried in unhallowed ground, and who's portrait hangs in various places in the house. She's waiting to "feast" upon the man who sleeps in the tower room. Her name was Julia (Stone).  

Hey, Rainey, are you a Benson afficiando too?  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2002, 05:02:01 AM »
Yes, Luciaphil.....if you're referring to his ghost stories.  I haven't read the "Mapp and Lucia" novels.

I have the 1992 Carol and Graf publication of "The Collected Ghost Stories" (in paperback, edited by Richard Dalby).  I've read it through several times in the last 10 years....all 600 plus pages of it....the stories are so perfectly crafted for effect!

Should I begin searching for the "Mapp and Lucia" novels?

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas