Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #177  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #177
« on: October 19, 2007, 04:02:22 PM »
ShadowGram Online Dark Shadows News Updates List
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Update List
An Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM
< ShadowGram@aol.com >

Number 177. October 18, 2007.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

**** DAVID SELBY: BOOK READINGS & SIGNINGS IN WEST VIRGINIA NEXT WEEK

David (Quentin) asks SG to announce 2 newly-confirmed appearances. At each event, he presents readings of his prose and poetry, followed by book-signing sessions. Copies of his books will be available for purchase at each location; please call the stores for more information.

--- Sunday, October 21, from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm at the Tamarack Book Department, One Tamarack Park, in Beckley. WV. 304-256-6843. 1-88 TAMARACK..

Tamarack Publicity: The area "is a one-stop shop for West Virginia culture, heritage, handcrafts, fine art, regional cuisine and music..... All of Tamarack's books and videos are either written by West Virginia authors or written about West Virginia or Appalachia."

Publicity: http://www.tamarackwv.com/events/328.aspx

Poetry Reading: Actor/Author David Selby
Start Date & Time: October 21, 2007 3:00 PM
End Date & Time: October 21, 2007 4:00 PM

"David Selby, actor/author of Happenstance, A Better Place and In and Out of the Shadows, will offer a poetry/prose reading at 3 p.m. A book signing will immediately follow the reading. His books are available in Book Department at Tamarack or online.

"Happenstance - David Selby's poetry focuses on the hopes and dreams of life and the adventures and misadventures that lead everyone down the path of happenstance. "The course of life is a road of happenstance. It sends people and events our way...A structure of love and support holds our world together." Tamarack ordering: /catalog/product/product,1634.aspx

David is a native of Morgantown and grew up in WV. He and his wife Chip are very involved in arts, educational, and cultural projects and organizations in the state. For details about the honors and awards he has received in appreciation of his support and efforts, see recent SG print issues. Contact SG for specific information..

Tamarack – Driving Directions: GPS Coordinates 37º 48.103' N 081º 13.000' W

From the North: Take I-77 S / I-64 E to Beckley, WV. Then, take EXIT 45. Tamarack, with its red, peaked roof, is located on the right at the end of the exit ramp.

From the South: Take I-77 N to Beckley, WV. Then, take EXIT 45. Tamarack, with its red, peaked roof, is located on the right at the end of the exit ramp.

From the East: Take I-64 W and merge into I-77 N at Beckley, WV. Then, take EXIT 45. Tamarack, with its red, peaked roof, is located on the right at the end of the exit ramp.

From the West: Take I-64 E and merge into I-77 S at Charleston, WV. At Beckley, take EXIT 45. Tamarack, with its red, peaked roof, is located on the right at the end of the exit ramp.

--- On Tuesday, October 23, from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm, David will read from and sign copies of his books at Taylor Books, 226 Capitol St., in Charleston, WV. 304-342-1461.
Taylor Books Publicity: Driving Directions: From I-64E, I-77S & I-79S take EXIT 100 (Leon Sullivan Way & Capitol Street Exit) exit ramp to LEON SULLIVAN WAY (formerly BROAD STREET). At the THIRD STOP LIGHT turn RIGHT onto QUARRIER STREET. Go to the THIRD STOP LIGHT and turn RIGHT onto CAPITOL STREET. Taylor Books & Annex Gallery is located at 226 CAPITOL STREET on the RIGHT. Parking is available on the street (metered) or in the car lot on the left.

--- Fans attending David's appearances are invited and encouraged to send SG their reports and photos as well as local publicity and media coverage. In this way, SG readers – including fans of all ages across the US and beyond as well as the DS cast/crew members themselves – can enjoy the events through your experiences. Please send all materials to SG's e- or postal- mail addresses below.

--- For fans who are unable to attend the events: David's books, poetry CD, and exclusive autographed color and B&W photos are available by direct mail-order through JRA Productions. All mail-orders are handled solely by Marcy Robin.

For prices and descriptive information, please e-mail ShadowGram@aol.com or send a SASE to Marcy Robin, JRA Productions, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766. PayPal orders can be made through David's official website: www.davidselby.com

**** NOW ON DVD:
JONATHAN FRID & ABE VIGODA IN THE 1973 TV MOVIE "THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER"
TOM HAPPER'S 1972 TV MOVIE "CRAWLSPACE"

Recent SG print issues announced these new single-disc DVDs from Wild Eye Releasing's "TV Movie Horror Collection." Both "feature new 2007 transfers" and came out Oct. 15. They now are available from retail outlets and amazon.com

Wild Eye liner notes: "The Devil's Daughter," starring Shelley Winters, "fueled the public's fascination with Satanism flaming out the all-American dream. (It) delivers a young woman into a nightmare world when she learns her mother had promised her to Satan when she was in infancy. Now of legal age, Lucifer has sent his earthly minions to claim his property – and to make sure she is betrothed to the demon of his choice." DS "offers a candle-burning, wind-rustling, spooky time in front of the TV with the lights turned way, way down."

Jonathan (DS' Barnabas) stars as the mute servant "Mr. Howard." Abe (DS' Ezra Braithwaite) plays "Alikhine." Jonathan is named and pictured on the box front cover and Abe is pictured on the box back cover.

Wild Eye liner notes: "Crawlspace" is a "real terror treat" that "features a middle-aged couple accidentally discovering a young homeless man living in their basement. Their initial fear turns to joy when he proves to be helpful around the house and like the son they never had. But this newfound happiness soon turns to sheer horror when the young man's violent past and appetite to kill come out!"

Tom (DS' Jeremy Grimes) plays "Richard Atlec" and is named on the front of the DVD box.

Wild Eye asks SG to let DS fans know these rare films provide an opportunity for fans to enjoy the acting talents of Jonathan, Abe, and Tom beyond their DS performances.

For more information: www.wildeyedvd.com

**** DAN CURTIS' "FRANKENSTEIN" (CO-STARRING JOHN KARLEN) DUE ON DVD

John (DS' Willie Loomis, etc.) co-stars in this 1973 TV film, due out on DVD on Oct. 30.

Publicity: "Producer Dan Curtis (Dark Shadows, The Night Stalker), faithfully resurrects Mary Shelley's Gothic classic novel in an acclaimed adaptation starring Robert Foxworth (Falcon Crest), Bo Svenson (Delta Force) and Susan Strasberg (Picnic) from 1973.

"Fiercely devoted to the theories of extending and creating human life, scientist Victor Frankenstein and his assistants have secretly assembled an artificial man with human parts stolen from graves. Once he is brought to life, the enormous creature exhibits a child-like innocence. Unaware of his superhuman strength and frightful appearance, the Giant becomes hostile and demands that Victor create him a mate.

"Bonus features include a new audio commentary track with actors Robert Foxworth (Victor Frankenstein) and John Karlen (Otto Roget), 1973 promo, and a recap and preview from the original broadcast on ABC-TV's Wide World Of Mystery."

The DVD will be released Oct. 30 from www.darkskyfilms.com or Amazon.com

*** Please share with SG any publicity, reviews, or articles you find about all 3 DVDs: "Devil's Daughter," "Crawlspace," and "Frankenstein." Please send materials to SG's e- or postal- mail addresses, given in this Update.

*** DS FESTIVAL'S 2008 "DARK SHADOWS RESURRECTED" EVENT

Recent SG Updates and the Fest have announced the 2008 gathering of fans and guests will be held at the Burbank Marriott Hotel & Convention Center, July 18-20, 2008.

The Burbank Airport Marriott Hotel & Convention Center is located at 2500 Hollywood Way, Burbank, California 91505. 1-818-843-6000.

The hotel is located directly across the street from the Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena (Bob Hope) Airport (BUR), which is served by major airlines that travel across the US and beyond. The hotel
provides free shuttle service to and from the nearby airport. On-site parking is available for $4 per hour or $14 per day.

SG will announce and Fest update programming, guests, membership rates, and other information as these plans are finalized. The hotel offers a reduced sleeping room rate; you must call the hotel directly and mention "Dark Shadows" to receive this special discount rate. Fans are advised to make their complete hotel reservations and travel arrangements well in advance.

The upcoming SG #112 print issue will highlight our 2007 Fest convention that celebrated the 40th Anniversary of Jonathan Frid's first appearance as Barnabas. The issue will have details, photos, and more about the gathering in Tarrytown, NY, last August. Jonathan was welcomed back to the Fest after a 13-year absence and was joined by guests LARA PARKER, KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT, MARIE WALLACE, BETSY DURKIN MATTHES, DIANA MILLAY, and HENRY PLIMACK.

SG thanks everyone who attended and appreciates those who have shared their photos from the weekend. Photos always are welcome. This issue will be sent to all current and new/renewing postal-mail subscribers when it is ready. Subsription information is later in this Update.

Festival website: www.darkshadowsfestival.com

*** All the above news will be expanded and detailed in the upcoming published SG #112 edition of ShadowGram, The Official DS Newsletter & News Source.

**** Subscription information for the ShadowGram Newsletter print issues follows. When your order arrives, I will send you the current SG #111 published issue to start your subscription. SG #112 and subsequent issues will be sent to postal-mail subscribers as they are published..

Thank you.
Marcy Robin

ShadowGram Editor / Publisher
Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766
ShadowGram@aol.com

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #177
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 06:40:54 PM »
 [8_1_209]  Can anyone tell me when Henry Pimlack was at the Tarrytown event??? Never heard a word about him until this latest online SG...thanks!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
He was there for the weekend.  He assisted with the set-up of technical equipment and took photos of Jonathan during his appearance and performance.  I thought he was on a panel at one point??

Nancy

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 12:58:09 AM »
From DS Festival writeup in Update #175:

Also participating in the event ... DS Sound Engineer Henry Plimack provided invaluable expert technical advice and assistance.

Did you attend the banquet, Miranda?  Kosmo mentioned to me that Plimack spoke at it on Saturday night.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »
Yes, Midnite, I did go to the banquet, but was so far back I could not clearly see everything, but in the last SG I did see a photo of Mr. Pimlack at the banqet...