Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0407  (Read 1319 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0407
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:40:06 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0407
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:12:53 PM »
When they finished this episode, did Jonathan Frid straighten up and walk off to his dressing room, wiping the fake sweat from his face?  I find it hard to believe.  He makes it seem more likely that he just collapsed on the floor and said, "OK, I did your damned show for you.  Now get me a doctor!"  I don't think I've ever seen an actor play a sick man as well as Frid did.

Something about Frid's bare feet makes me say: "Now there's a devoted actor!"  Other actors can go stark naked and not impress me particularly, but Frid's bare feet strike me as evidence of true commitment to his craft.  I'm not really sure why.

Naomi's dress was very pretty, I thought.  After all the bright colors of 1795, it's nice to see that silvery gray.  And the lace at the end of the sleeves was beautiful.

Good old Angelique.  She puts the curse on Barnabas, and then she blames Barnabas for making her do it.  I was starting to feel sorry her her, thinking that she might be regretting her actions - and then she started in on the not-my-faulting.  I should have seen it coming.

The end of the episode was thoroughly satisfying.  Barnabas, in his delirium, turns his back on Josette to go searching for Josette.  Purple romance at its best.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:56:35 PM »
Great post, Lydia.    Those are the kinds of thoughts that occur to me these days, that never did earlier.    Those particular observations hadn't occurred to me at all, yet, though.

For about five years, 2002-7 I guess, the end of this episode was the end of 1795, for me.  One day's indecision on my part, regarding whether to buy all of 1967-71 on VHS for $1.50 each (still hundreds of dollars), meant that someone was able to walk into the thrift store that day, and carve out and buy a hunk of DS right in the middle.   Apparently, he/she was only interested in BC from his death onward.

I'll have to admit that I never would have had the thought about the lace on Naomi's sleeve.    Why is that, I wonder?       The rest seem like very familiar sorts of impressions, even if I haven't had them all myself, yet.

[candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 01:24:04 PM »
I loved Angelique's dress in this episode! [luv] It was refreshing to find her finally wearing another dress! [hall_wink]

This was another fabulous episode! [cheer] I felt sorry for everybody in this episode. [bawl] Poor Angelique - she wasn't able to clean up the blood and remove the curse. Poor Barnabas - he was so sick, and so delirious, that he didn't know Josette. Poor Josette - she had to witness this. Poor Naomi - she just missed Barnabas calling out to her. Poor Joshua - he had to pretend not to care for Barnabas yet again. Poor Natalie - she had her feelings of foreboding at the Old House come true when it was discovered that Barnabas was there after all. [hall2_cry]

My favorite scenes were when Angelique opened the drapes and Barnabas couldn't stand the light, and the last scene of Barnabas calling out to Josette. Great acting by all, especially JF - he does play sick really well! [clap2]

-----  Sally -----
[coolg] [hall2_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 02:05:56 PM »
This is where we learn that Ang is great for putting curses on, but not taking 'em off.

And yet later she removes it so easily in 1840! Gawd. But the whole "I curse you... whoops! That bit ME on the ass too." is a nice display of karma by the writers and comes up more than once.

Hey! For once someone didn't have their shoes on in bed!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 03:16:14 PM »
But the whole "I curse you... whoops! That bit ME on the ass too." is a nice display of karma by the writers and comes up more than once.

I enjoyed this. [8_1_210]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 11:40:29 PM »
When they finished this episode, did Jonathan Frid straighten up and walk off to his dressing room, wiping the fake sweat from his face?  I find it hard to believe.  He makes it seem more likely that he just collapsed on the floor and said, "OK, I did your damned show for you.  Now get me a doctor!"  I don't think I've ever seen an actor play a sick man as well as Frid did.

I agree with you Lydia. He does excellent and heart-wrenching scenes.

Something about Frid's bare feet makes me say: "Now there's a devoted actor!"  Other actors can go stark naked and not impress me particularly, but Frid's bare feet strike me as evidence of true commitment to his craft.  I'm not really sure why.

Thanks for this tidbit of very interesting info, Lydia!  [hall2_cool]

Naomi's dress was very pretty, I thought.  After all the bright colors of 1795, it's nice to see that silvery gray.  And the lace at the end of the sleeves was beautiful.

Thanks also for the description of Naomi's dress.

Good old Angelique.  She puts the curse on Barnabas, and then she blames Barnabas for making her do it.  I was starting to feel sorry her her, thinking that she might be regretting her actions - and then she started in on the not-my-faulting.  I should have seen it coming.

Yes, I too was wondering about her sincerity to cure him, but as you said, she prefers to blame everyone but herself.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 04:13:36 AM »
I felt sorry for everyone in here BUT Angelique. As Lydia and Sunny pointed out, she'd much rather blame Barnabas than take any kind of responsibility for it. It was her threatening Sarah that drove him to shoot her. But of course Angelique would find an excuse for it...i.e. he was planning to go away with Josette. While true, it's still no excuse for threatening to kill an innocent child.

I liked how Joshua was being all pompous, pretending not to be interested in what's happened to Barnabas, yet the moment Naomi leaves the room, you see him deep in thought. Joshua did still care about his son, it's just that pride of his that doesn't want anyone to see it.