Author Topic: i'm doing 1840...finally  (Read 10967 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: i'm doing 1840...finally
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2007, 04:27:38 PM »
MSC, one of my all-time favorite Grayson moments is, I think, in the introduction of Sabrina storyline (and those painful weeks when we had to deal with RD's Ned Stuart characterization).    Julia is trying to see someone and the other person is claiming that the individual she seeks is not around.  Then somebody else comes out and says "Oh, they're in the next room."  Julia turns to whoever it is she was speaking to before and asks, in this gently wounded innocent voice, "Why was it necessary to LIE?"  Watching that scene as an adult years ago, I had to guffaw, being all too acutely aware of the NUMEROUS times our dear Dr. Hoffman had lied her way with a sweet and smiling face out of one situation after another.

If someone could remind me just when the scene I attempt to describe above actually occurred, I'd be very grateful; since reading Michael's comments above I've been jonesing to see it again.

cheers, G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2007, 07:26:28 PM »
Gothick, I don't remember the scene you're talking about.  Perhaps I'm blocking all scenes with Ned Stuart out of my mind.  What I do remember is something similar in the episode in which Julia first meets Barnabas, which would make it 286, I believe.  It's during Julia's conversation with Willie at the Old House before Barnabas shows up.

If you're going to watch that episode again, watch 290 - my very favorite - for me while you've got that tape or DVD in your machine. 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2007, 06:53:17 PM »
a few more observations...

the mens' hairstyles certainly are "fluffy" here.i think it's much more a reflection of what fashions were in 1970 more than anything that had to do with the 1840's.the glued-on muttonchops are funny...i wonder why the actors just didn't grow out their own sideburns for this period?

for all of the build up tad and carrie got in the 1970 set-up to this storyline they actually have very little to do with it thus far.i just finished dvd volume 23(about halfway through)and tad has yet to appear at all and carrie only in a few episodes.again both kids are too old for a governess but at least they acknowledge that with carrie as she develops a crush on gerard and remarks herself that she's growing up.it would have been quite annoying to have her again fussing around with that dollhouse...speaking of which both the dollhouse and the playroom disappear from the story early on.do they reappear or does this entire plotline get scrapped in favor of something else?i have a sneaking suspicion that that all of that is going to go unresolved.i haven't heard much about the "java queen" or most of the other things that set-up this storyline.

does it just go free-form from here on out?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2007, 01:08:47 AM »
does it just go free-form from here on out?

Brace yourself, but sort of, yeah.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2007, 12:00:13 AM »
for all of the build up tad and carrie got in the 1970 set-up to this storyline they actually have very little to do with it thus far.i just finished dvd volume 23(about halfway through)and tad has yet to appear at all and carrie only in a few episodes. ... the dollhouse and the playroom disappear from the story early on.do they reappear

As you've no doubt noticed, the playroom reappears and Tad finally appears in Ep #1147 (in today's current slideshow):

1970: Ep #1147 - Carrie tells Tad that she saw a vision of the
two of them dead in the playroom.

Much of what was built up with Tad and Carrie in 1970 had to be scrapped when David Henesy decided he'd grown tired of doing DS. If one does a search for topics on that subject (particularly from around October/November '03), more details are likely to be found.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2008, 05:37:05 AM »
I'm wondering about Gabriel's wheelchair. It look modern to me. Did the wheelchairs of the 1840's had
metal chrome wheels with metal spokes? I thought wheelchairs at that time only had one rear wheel
that swivels in the back of the chair.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2008, 07:26:26 AM »
I'm wondering about Gabriel's wheelchair. It look modern to me. Did the wheelchairs of the 1840's had
metal chrome wheels with metal spokes? I thought wheelchairs at that time only had one rear wheel that swivels in the back of the chair.

You're right.  In the 1800s, they had 2 big wheels with one small one in the back, but in 1840 these were still wood, and there were no wire spokes until the turn of the century.

If the one in the storyline had chrome anywhere on it, that was probably the biggest anachronism.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2008, 09:15:28 AM »
That wheelchair definitely had modern wheels.  They kept catching my eye.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2008, 10:01:23 AM »
We're all just too damn observant for our own good....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »
How much you wanna bet that they simply took the wheelchair David Henesey had to use for awhile during the Leviathan story line when he actually hurt himself (and they had to write it into the plot) to save a few bucks.  All they had to do was ask if he still had it laying around somewhere (unless it was a borrowed one), drag it in, pull off the back and slap on a wicker replacement and - voila! - one 1840's-style wheelchair that they hoped no one would look at too closely.

Gerard

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »
How much you wanna bet that they simply took the wheelchair David Henesey had to use for awhile during the Leviathan story line when he actually hurt himself (and they had to write it into the plot) to save a few bucks.  All they had to do was ask if he still had it laying around somewhere (unless it was a borrowed one), drag it in, pull off the back and slap on a wicker replacement and - voila! - one 1840's-style wheelchair that they hoped no one would look at too closely.

You might be right. I guess it was too expensive for them to find and use a antique wheelchair in mint
condition or too expensive to borrow a replica from MGM Studios.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »
Couldn't somebody have sprayed some mahogany-colored paint onto the wheels?  Water-soluble, of course.

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2008, 02:54:59 PM »
Samantha told Quentin that Tad is not his son. Has that been proven to be true or not?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2008, 05:35:36 PM »
Samantha told Quentin that Tad is not his son. Has that been proven to be true or not?

SPOILER ALERT:

After Samantha's death, and Quentin was cleared of the witchcraft charge, he found a letter from her, telling him she had lied, and that Tad, indeed was his son.

I suspected all along that Samantha was lying about Tad not being Quentin's son. Don't forget, she wanted to leave Quentin for Gerard at the time and she would have said ANYTHING so Quentin would let her leave with Tad. Unfortunately for her, it didn't work.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2008, 11:11:56 PM »
After Samantha's death, and Quentin was cleared of the witchcraft charge, he found a letter from her, telling him she had lied, and that Tad, indeed was his son.

Well, that was handy, wasn't it?   Did Q #1 prove this?    We may just not know, but Tad could have been made heir anyway.