Author Topic: Nicholas Blair's motivation  (Read 798 times)

Offline testokes

• View Profile
Nicholas Blair's motivation
« on: September 08, 2007, 04:19:49 PM »
I've just gotten into Nicholas Blair's debut (a LOT of episodes given that I watched Dr.Lang's debut right after the Fest) and after 4-5 episodes am a little lost as to what he wanted initially.  It's  clear he's an agent of the Devil and Angelique sold her soul to him for another chance at destroying Barnabas but why exactly would he then come to Collinwood and help her out after Trask exorcises her?  It would make more sense to do nothing and claim her soul for eternity.  Unless he just likes causing trouble for the hell of it he's got nothing against Barnabas or anyone else.

One option might be that Nicholas is in love with her, or rather in love with her darker and evil side which he hopes to bring out (sort of a dark Pygmalion) to create the perfect mate for him.  But then he also falls for Maggie Evans, who is about as evil as a newborn.

So what the heck is up with Nicholas?

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Blair's motivation
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 04:54:47 PM »
Nicholas and Angelique had some kind of bargain, I believe. I think maybe she had to complete something or other in order to fulfill her end of it. I know this helps a lot.  ???

Oh, and it's safe to say that Nicholas is NOT in love with Angelique. At least, I didn't get that impression at all.

I won't say much on the Nicholas and Maggie thing so it won't be spoiled for you. I will say that I liked it when I thought he had some evil plan for her.  >:D

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 11:41:59 PM »
As Joy said, Nicholas frequently reminds Cassandra about their "bargain."  My understanding is that she was allowed to return to the mortal world in order to fulfill her curse upon Barnabas and drive his soul into the fires of perdition (Great Goddess, I think I'm channelling Rev. Trask!!).  Once he brings her back, we presume he hangs around to make sure she gets her job done without further blundering.

One of my favorite scenes is when Nicky and Cass are out on the terrace and he sneers at her for being "so in-COM-pe-tent."  I just adore HAA's reading of Nicholas' very fruity dialogue.  This stuff is better than heroin--hell, it's better than two sticks of Land-o'Lakes lashed together in a rough-hewn manner!

The Nicholas/Cassandra scenes hint heavily at some pretty dark and gritty backstory between the two, and a lot of fanfiction has been written speculating about just what this was.  It's too bad they never did a flashback to show how the two first met.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 09:49:07 PM »
My best wishes for success to anyone wanting to make sense of Blair/Ang and all of 1968 for that matter.    If everyone can put their heads together and come up with solid logic for it all, I'll come up with something really nice and expensive-looking to give all of you. 

Blair gets into unspecified trouble with El Diablo when he screws up, so he has to keep any plans of Ang's, that he was partly reponsible for, on track.    I'd give a lot to witness what happens when Nicholas gets whupped by Satan.    I think I would, anyway.    What could it possibly be?     Any thoughts?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor