Author Topic: OT -- Madeleine L'Engle 1918 - 2007  (Read 769 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT -- Madeleine L'Engle 1918 - 2007
« on: September 08, 2007, 04:25:24 AM »
Her NY Times obituary:

Madeleine L’Engle, Children’s Writer, Is Dead

L’Engle has occasionally been the object of discussion here as the author of the children's book "A Wrinkle in Time" and as the wife of Hugh Franklin (Liz's attorney and the senior partner of Garner & Garner).

Thanks, Kosmo.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: OT -- Madeleine L'Engle 1918 - 2007
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 05:43:02 PM »
What a shame, she was a fantastic author. Thank you for posting the link to her obituary Midnite, it was a lovely article. Amazing that she wrote so many books in her lifetime when others struggle to write just one. She was incredibly gifted.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: OT -- Madeleine L'Engle 1918 - 2007
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 12:22:06 AM »
Some might appreciate what I wrote about her on my blog:

The book [A Wrinkle of Time]  had a huge influence upon me as a shy, bookish, all too self-concious child in the mid Sixties. Mrs. Whatsit was perhaps the first of a series of brisk, witty Crones I kept waiting to sweep into my own life with a dash of wisdom and ample comforting arms. Above all, I remember wiping away tears when Meg is told "Your faults are your greatest source of strength." I lost track of how many times I silently repeated that line to myself during my extremely painful, awkward adolescence (which only presaged an equally uncomfortable young-adulthood). Madeleine L'Engle was thus one of my mentors, albeit second-hand through her books; I'll always remember her with honor and love.

Incidentally, Hugh Franklin wasn't L'Engle's only Shadows connection.  During the 1940s she roomed with her lifelong friend, a flamboyant New York actress named ... Cavada Humphrey.

cheers, G.