Author Topic: so, a few thoughts on The Beginning episodes...and SPOILERS  (Read 7043 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: so, a few thoughts on The Beginning episodes...and SPOILERS
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 10:00:14 PM »
The Sci Fi Channel's 9-6-07 review

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/screen/sfw16760.html

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 11:13:20 PM »
I'm watching these right now! It's been ages since I've seen these episodes - it's really fun to for everything to be black and white again and to hear "My name is Victoria Winters" at the beginning of every episode.  :D

I love the outdoor shots as well! I really wish they could have continued to do them throughout the series.

These episodes just have a subtle and wonderfully spooky quality about them. And we haven't even seen a ghost yet!

I can't wait for the second set. It is October 30 yet?  :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 11:47:23 PM »
Welcome to you, Joy Collins!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 03:00:48 AM »
The early episodes are my favorite. I love the location shots - Sam Evans walking the streets of Newport... Miss Vicky on Cliff Walk, Matthew Morgan trimming the hedges...
It doesn't get any better than that.
It seems such a shame that when Quentin came along in the storyline, they didn't do any location shooting. I imagine that Quentin got around quite a bit in Collinsport. Not Tarrytown, even though he was on the east coast, by the way. Hmph!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 07:43:15 AM »
I'm watching these right now! It's been ages since I've seen these episodes - it's really fun to for everything to be black and white again and to hear "My name is Victoria Winters" at the beginning of every episode.  :D

I love the outdoor shots as well! I really wish they could have continued to do them throughout the series.

These episodes just have a subtle and wonderfully spooky quality about them. And we haven't even seen a ghost yet!

I can't wait for the second set. It is October 30 yet?  :)

I know what you mean! BTW, Oct. 30th is my birthday hehe. :)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 08:35:32 AM »
i noticed the strange camera angles and the horizontal squeeze right away. it is the camera doing that but i dont know if it was done on purpose or not. i notice the same effect much later in the series. i think it is in 1968 roger davis seems unusually tall and thin in some episodes. i think the angles they use (like shooting from the ground up)and that horizontal squeeze really added to the mood of that first episode and it makes joan bennett look so much more elegant for some reason.

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 01:29:31 PM »
i noticed the strange camera angles and the horizontal squeeze right away. it is the camera doing that but i dont know if it was done on purpose or not. i notice the same effect much later in the series. i think it is in 1968 roger davis seems unusually tall and thin in some episodes. i think the angles they use (like shooting from the ground up)and that horizontal squeeze really added to the mood of that first episode and it makes joan bennett look so much more elegant for some reason.

Thanks for that info...I was hoping it wasn't some compression mistake on the DVD.

Also (off topic)--is there a way to edit posts? I'm the worst typist ever and I noticed I wrote "Nicky" instead of Vicky and "Davis" instead of David previously...ha ha... :o

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 04:29:12 PM »
(off topic)--is there a way to edit posts? I'm the worst typist ever and I noticed I wrote "Nicky" instead of Vicky and "Davis" instead of David previously...ha ha... :o

Once you've submitted the post, it will display on your screen by default and to make any changes you can use the Modify button within the first 120 seconds and every 120 secs. after that.  But if you Preview your message first, you can edit as often as needed before posting.  Hope that helped.

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 04:42:50 PM »
Once you've submitted the post, it will display on your screen by default and to make any changes you can use the Modify button within the first 120 seconds and every 120 secs. after that.  But if you Preview your message first, you can edit as often as needed before posting.  Hope that helped.

Thanks...I should Preview. But I don't see a  Modify button anywhere??

Edit: OK...now I see it. Sorry about that.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 05:14:13 PM »
You're welcome, scott.

The Sci Fi Channel's 9-6-07 review

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/screen/sfw16760.html

"we also meet the vengeful Burke Devlin (Anthony George), who has returned to town after 10 years away, oozing malevolence from every pore."

Hmm, Anthony George may ooze male chauvinism, but malevolence isn't in his repertoire.  The reviewer should apologize to Mitchell Ryan.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 09:11:42 PM »
The reviewer should apologize to Mitchell Ryan.

Or fix it, which they did.  ;)

RachelDrummand

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 02:44:30 AM »
I'm really enjoying the early episodes. I don't understand why so many people have a problem with it. It's not nearly such a slow pace as the Soap Opera, Passions. *cringes*

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 05:04:38 PM »
Thank you for the welcome, Midnite!

"we also meet the vengeful Burke Devlin (Anthony George), who has returned to town after 10 years away, oozing malevolence from every pore."

Hmm, Anthony George may ooze male chauvinism, but malevolence isn't in his repertoire.  The reviewer should apologize to Mitchell Ryan.

Mitch Ryan is the definitely the better Burke in my opinion! I didn't like that he became all romantic after Anthony George took over (of course he can't be blamed for that). But, on the other hand, I'm not sure if I can picture Mitch Ryan as Jeremiah. It certainly would have been interesting.  ;)

I love when Mitch Ryan forgets his lines! He has the best bloopers.  [laughing6]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2007, 07:34:17 PM »
jimbo, thanks for the link to the Scifi page.

Does anyone know why Scifi is talking about early DS?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 08:51:35 PM »
Does anyone know why Scifi is talking about early DS?

Because Vol. 1 of The Beginning eps is now available in stores and Vol. 2 will follow next month.