Author Topic: david collins  (Read 1941 times)

Offline bramwell

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
david collins
« on: May 16, 2002, 06:28:46 PM »
i was just watching the pre barnabas shows that i had taped.david was a real brat during the whole show, but was really bad during the early shows. he was threaten with a spanking many times but i can't remember if he ever got one, he certannly deserve one. does anyone know if he was ever punished?

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: david collins
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2002, 06:35:42 PM »
He was yelled at a lot and sent to his room if you count that as punishment.  I think the fact that nobody seemed interested enough to even punish him much at all - that is until he did something really awful - may have been part of David's problem.  I know I wouldn't have had a problem with corporal punishment in this little demon's case. [vryevl]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2002, 07:05:41 PM »
There's something that comes to mind from when I first watched Dark Shadows when I was a little girl in the 60's. I'm pretty sure David was punished by Quentin or his ghost at some point. I recall David saying that Quentin was hurting him, like he was being burned by his touch or something like that. Anyone else remember it?
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2002, 07:24:03 PM »
There's something that comes to mind from when I first watched Dark Shadows when I was a little girl in the 60's. I'm pretty sure David was punished by Quentin or his ghost at some point. I recall David saying that Quentin was hurting him, like he was being burned by his touch or something like that. Anyone else remember it?

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Your memory is correct.  In order to get David to follow his instructions, Quentin's ghost indeed did punish him when he was insolent or had not done as he was told to do.

One scene did include Quentin's ghost grabbing his arm or shoulder and David screaming out that it burned.

deron

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2002, 07:32:44 PM »
He was yelled at a lot and sent to his room if you count that as punishment.  .. [vryevl]

I think it is what they call "time out" today as a means of punishment for a child....DEFINITELY punishment with the computer,  boom box, Nintendo (sp?) games, ETC.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2002, 08:57:35 PM »

I think it is what they call "time out" today as a means of punishment for a child....DEFINITELY punishment with the computer,  boom box, Nintendo (sp?) games, ETC.

Time out may work for some kids but most of the time I think David was screaming for a good old fashioned kick in the pants.  He was a thick little bugger! [frkoff]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2002, 09:58:30 PM »
From the way David reacted to some of his father's threats in the early episodes, my guess is that he was no stranger to corporal punishment.  Probably was a bit too familiar with it.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2002, 10:11:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure David was punished by Quentin or his ghost at some point. I recall David saying that Quentin was hurting him, like he was being burned by his touch or something like that. Anyone else remember it?

Yes Cheryl, I do remember that! Quentin was going to punish him for not doing what he told him to do. :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2002, 10:39:41 PM »

Time out may work for some kids but most of the time I think David was screaming for a good old fashioned kick in the pants.  He was a thick little bugger! [frkoff]

I totally agree CastleBee he was awful at the the beginning !

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2002, 10:41:43 PM »
From the way David reacted to some of his father's threats in the early episodes, my guess is that he was no stranger to corporal punishment.  Probably was a bit too familiar with it.

Luciaphil

I also get the feeling that would have been Roger's way of dealing with it!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

john yeager

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2002, 12:54:38 AM »
was there a scene during the quentin ghost story when david was hurting amy and carolyn caught him and spanked him.Im not sure but i think i remember a scene like that.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Welcome!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2002, 01:30:50 AM »
Welcome to the board, amy/john yaeger.  Glad to see you decided to join in the discussions!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2002, 04:08:21 AM »
Oh, I thought I remembered Roger spanking him, but it was probably off screen. I think David suffers from the ignoring version of negligence and then the reaction when he finally pushes it too far. Let's face it, the lack of attention and love he was raised with could have created a true sociopath (and that was exactly how he started). At least he had his Aunt Elizabeth for some nurturing, though.

Unfortunately, I have enough experience with behavioral problems to say that it wouldn't have mattered if he had been spanked or not. What would have helped is a mother that loved him and didn't leave his life and a father who didn't hate him. When Roger finally did love him, he became more of a brat, rather than the attachment disorder you see early on.  How nice that on tv it is so quickly resolved....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2002, 07:53:54 AM »
david was a real brat during the whole show,-----does anyone know if he was ever punished?

one of the things about 'touring' is lots of 'wait time' - I have read many of the paperbacks again during the last few weeks - but it has also given me a lot of time to consider the next 'publications'

I believe my 'return' will be 'The Little Monster Monthly' [and he WILL be punished!!!!!!!!] ;)

rocking on,
Ringo [jester]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline bramwell

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2002, 02:46:44 PM »
ringo i don`t know if your joking. do you write dark shadows books.