Author Topic: Willie  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Willie
« on: May 16, 2002, 10:01:29 AM »
I'm quite confused about Willie.  He started out as a "bad" guy.  We can't be sure how violent he might have been, but he clearly had a hot temper and easily got into fights.  Then Barnabas bit him and mistreated him, and he became quite changed.  However, he was under Barnabas' power and, at least in the beginning, was beaten by him.  He then tries to warn Maggie and gets shot numerous times and is left as the scapegoat by Barnabas.

At that point he becomes insane and forgets who Barnabas is, etc.

So, now he's recovered, or mostly.  He recognizes Barnabas.  One might think that he had forgotten a lot, but when Barnabas points out that it was during the day that they saw him at Windcliff, he immediately realizes the significance of it.  And the first thing he does is go to Maggie to try to explain what happened.  It would appear that he does remember the prior situation, or at least most of it.

Yet, he seemed very happy to see Barnabas at Windcliff - remembered working for him and was anxious to return to that life.  And, that's before he knows of the "cure."  Initially, I figured that he had really forgotten his previous life and just assumed it was good.  The later developments would indicate that he DOES remember, but then how could he have such "fond" recollections of it?!!!
Josette

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Willie
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2002, 03:12:04 PM »
My thought is that being a vampire's house boy would have to be better than laying in a hospital bed or getting electroshock treatments at Windcliff.  And Barnabas doesn't make him wear a straight jacket either.  I guess you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.  ;D
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2002, 03:19:55 PM »
Josette, did you happen to tape Willie's return?....or have it on MPI?  If you do, watch the scene on the staircase, after Willie's been to Maggie's and Barnabas is threatening to send him back to Wyndcliffe (is there an OFFICIAL spelling for this place, by the way??!!)

Watch John Karlen literally shift his eyes left and then right, the way the FBI now tells us people do when they are lying.

Willie hasn't forgotten a thing about his life before Wyndcliffe.....he knows who and what Barnabas is and how he was treated.  But he's in the Madhouse, and he wants OUT!!!  He'll sing any tune he thinks will get him out!  

Who knows what's happened to him during his "recovery".....there's some fan fiction out there that goes into Willie's sojourn at Wyndcliffe, that makes "The Snake Pit" look like a vacation in the Bahamas.  I don't think anything like that is even implied in the show, but it's enough that he's been locked up for months and he'll do anything, say anything, agree to anything, just to get the heck OUT!!

Oh, and let's not forget that some of the time he really IS howling mad.....and sometimes he's crazy like a fox.  ;)

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2002, 11:04:53 PM »
I always saw Willie has a lost type that was easily taken in (ie Jason)he basically has a decent heart and it comes out when he tries to help Maggie. as the story progressed he did come to care for Barnabas and Julia
as family so I don't really think he had much of a family

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2002, 11:12:17 PM »
Color me perplexed as well. The only thing I can think of is that Willie is, quite simply, insane. There was a hint of the former, original "fighting" Willie as he hid in the bushes and play-acted target practice on Joe Haskell with that rifle of his. (I really laughed when Barnabas told him to give him the rifle and Willie said "No, it's mine!" like a little boy being admonished by his father.)

The way Barnabas treats Willie, however, is rather puzzling. He acts as if Willie is still under his power, but the only power he has over him is the threat of sending him back to the mental hospital. I guess both Barnabas and Willie realize nobody will believe Willie if he tries to spill the beans about what Barnabas used to be.

Willie was desperate to get away from Barnabas before he went to Wyndcliffe - remember how much he hated having to go out and do his work every night (probably draining cows for blood)? He was really quite afraid of the man. I would have expected him to show a little more apprehension upon seeing Barn again at the hospital.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2002, 01:48:52 AM »
Willie was desperate to get away from Barnabas before he went to Wyndcliffe - remember how much he hated having to go out and do his work every night (probably draining cows for blood)? He was really quite afraid of the man. I would have expected him to show a little more apprehension upon seeing Barn again at the hospital.

I wonder how much of this new and seemingly docile Willie is just because he's smart enough to play that angle.  I never quite bought the total amnesia thing that he did when he was hospitalized "are you doctors?" It seemed a wee bit too convenient.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2002, 05:02:41 AM »
Willie is being wily!  ;D I don't know if ALL of his act at Wyndcliff was false, it seems like he wouldn't be able to maintain it for so long. But, he definately knew more than he was letting on....AND there was another side that he was smart enough to keep hidden.

Personally, I think that crazy, scary side was the reemergence of his old, more threatening self. Without being in Barney's power, maybe he is in the position to recreate his own nature?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2002, 10:13:08 AM »
Im glad to see Willie back on the show. It just amazes me though, how physically well he really is after being shot 5 times!! The way he "flew" out of Maggie's house after Joe arrived was amazing!  He seems more physcially fit now than he was before he was shot.  ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2002, 02:50:53 PM »

I wonder how much of this new and seemingly docile Willie is just because he's smart enough to play that angle.  I never quite bought the total amnesia thing that he did when he was hospitalized "are you doctors?" It seemed a wee bit too convenient.

Luciaphil

You'r right Luciaphil he is after all a con man!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV