Author Topic: Another 2004 DS Reference  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Another 2004 DS Reference
« on: August 22, 2007, 11:03:51 PM »
I don't know if this link has been posted or mentioned here before, but if it hasn't, check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_WB_Television_Network

Scan down to 2003-2006:  Decline, or just read your way down to it (the article is rather interesting).

Gerard

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Another 2004 DS Reference
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 04:30:56 AM »
Hmm, interesting! I knew girls in high school (at the time for me when the WB started) that were all over Felicity and Dawson's Creek, but the only show on the WB that appealed to me was Buffy. Thanks for the article! It's interesting to muse what might have happened had the DS pilot taken off. Though I personally have yet to see the pilot I really was bothered by the look of some of the characters. The girl who was playing Angelique to name one, I thought she looked way too modern.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 04:23:39 PM »
Thanks for the link!

This article was very interesting, even though I already knew much of the information. However, I didn't know that Angel premiered to the highest audience for a premiere ever on the WB. It's a shame they canceled that show, because I really liked it.

Just the other day I was reading something, somewhere, and the author stated that they canceled Angel because they were developed Dark Shadows, and WB Execs didn't think that they needed two vampire shows on at one time. And then, turns out, DS doesn't make it! I'm sure that's false, though.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 08:51:26 PM »
Just the other day I was reading something, somewhere, and the author stated that they canceled Angel because they were developed Dark Shadows, and WB Execs didn't think that they needed two vampire shows on at one time. And then, turns out, DS doesn't make it! I'm sure that's false, though.

It is.  False, that is.  I believe you read it in that article on the Voices From Krypton site that was linked to very recently.  Angel was canceled because the WB was more interested in reality TV fare-- to attract more viewers and save money, because even a drama on a tight budget is more expensive to produce than a reality show or even a sitcom.  Though, as Joss Whedon has said, themes seen on any ep of Angel are more "real" than anything you might see on reality TV.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 09:03:20 PM »
The reference to Dark Shadows in this entry strikes me as odd.  Surely the network filmed any number of failed pilots during 2003-2004?  Of course, very few if any generated the level of buzz that the Shadows pilot did--and surely very few came with a five million dollar plus price tag!

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 09:27:50 PM »
I had the sort of reaction, Gothick - particularly when that year's Lost In Space pilot was another one of the WB's high profile, high budget projects. Yet it seems to hardly ever be mentioned when the '04 pilot season is referenced. Though that may be because the DS pilot was thought in many corners to be a surefire pickup that year and the LIS pilot was not...