Author Topic: ".....all's right with the world"  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
".....all's right with the world"
« on: May 15, 2002, 06:45:17 PM »
Willie's at the Old House......All's right with the world!

Yep, have to agree with TLATKLS' opinion that John Karlen was the best actor in the bunch......not that I'm prejudiced or anything.....! ;)

We've had this conversation before, about Nancy Barrett's excellent portrayal of "crazy" as Millicent.....but John Karlen's "crazy" is SO excellent you have to wonder how he does it!!  :o

Willie's shifts from docile and timid,  to demented and overwrought, back to cringing and sly at the same time...all in a handful of scenes....are a superb showcase of the actor's talents, and abilities (IMHO).  It also serves as a showing-UP, I'm afraid, of how narrow and single-note portrayals like Lang really are.

Best of all is just imagining how much FUN John Karlen MUST have had playing this lunatic who keeps shifting gears from pathetic and sweet to barking mad! [crazd]

GAWD...I'VE MISSED HIM!!!!!

Rainey, who's just wondering: Did anyone else who acted on this show ever win an Emmy, a Tony or an Academy Award?......Scholars?....I'm sure one of you has this info!

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: ".....all's right with the world"
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2002, 07:19:03 PM »
Yep, have to agree with TLATKLS' opinion that John Karlen was the best actor in the bunch......not that I'm prejudiced or anything.....! ;)

I think he's marvelous too. :D

We've had this conversation before, about Nancy Barrett's excellent portrayal of "crazy" as Millicent.....but John Karlen's "crazy" is SO excellent you have to wonder how he does it!!  :o

SPOILER...

I think David Selby was also wonderful as the spacey Quentin of 1995, driven over the edge by Gerard's ghost. ... Not that I'm prejudiced or anything, hee hee!!

Ah, Raineypark, it's fun seeing you so happy!

Rainey, who's just wondering: Did anyone else who acted on this show ever win an Emmy, a Tony or an Academy Award?
Donna McKechnie received a Tony for "A Chorus Line".  I can't stand anything she did on DS, but even I have to admit that her stage credits are remarkable.

Grayson Hall was nominated for both a Golden Globe and Oscar for her supporting role in Night of the Iguana.  Why isn't that fantastic movie on DVD yet?  Sigh

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2002, 07:56:45 PM »

I'll second that for the second time today! [hello]

Willie's shifts from docile and timid,  to demented and overwrought, back to cringing and sly at the same time...all in a handful of scenes....are a superb showcase of the actor's talents, and abilities (IMHO).

Well put Raineypark - and I completely agree!

CastleBee exits ::humming to self:: ain't no sunshine when (Willie's) gone and he's always gone too long anytime he goes away¢â‚¬¦[sun]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2002, 08:17:29 PM »
Did anyone else who acted on this show ever win an Emmy, a Tony or an Academy Award?......Scholars?....I'm sure one of you has this info!

Besides the ones that have already been mentioned, Kate Jackson was nominated three times for an Emmy award (twice for Charlie's Angels, and for her guest appearance in the TV movie James at 15), but she won a Golden Globe for CA - and I seem to recall that Nancy Barrett was nominated for something or other for her work in the film Belizaire The Cajun, but I can't recall just what award that was (it was some type of independent film award).

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2002, 09:23:53 PM »
Hi, MB.  Long time no talk. ;)

If single appearances on DS count, Marsha Mason (aka Audrey the Leviathan Vampire Girl) was nominated for 4 Oscars, 1 Emmy (for Frasier), and 4 Golden Globes, winning 2 GGs as best actress.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2002, 09:33:38 PM »

Willie's shifts from docile and timid,  to demented and overwrought, back to cringing and sly at the same time...all in a handful of scenes....are a superb showcase of the actor's talents, and abilities (IMHO).  It also serves as a showing-UP, I'm afraid, of how narrow and single-note portrayals like Lang really are.

Best of all is just imagining how much FUN John Karlen MUST have had playing this lunatic who keeps shifting gears from pathetic and sweet to barking mad! [crazd]

Rainey, who's just wondering: Did anyone else who acted on this show ever win an Emmy, a Tony or an Academy Award?......Scholars?....I'm sure one of you has this info!

I''m pretty sure John Karlen won or was at least nominated for an Emmy for playing Harvey, the long suffering husband of Marybeth's ,on Cagney and Lacey
He is great and was always my favorite part of that show!!!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2002, 09:58:37 PM »
Ya know....I LOVE the IMDB! I learn so much from it!!!!

Clicked on awards and nominations for Joan Bennett...and guess what?????

She won an Emmy for Outstanding Achievement In Daytime Programming in 1968 for.......
[/color]

[shadow=navy,left,300]DARK SHADOWS!!![batang][/shadow]

And Louis Edmonds received 3 Emmy nominations for Outstanding Actor In A Supporting Role in '84, '85, and '86...for All My Children!
Love that Louie playing Langley ;D!!!
[/color]

[shadow=purple,left,300]Always, Minja [wow][/shadow]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2002, 11:09:51 PM »
Karlen is one actor I always admired on DS, but didn't fully appreciate until I saw as an adult.

The night he won the Emmy for CAGNEY AND LACEY, he was so thrilled, I cried for him.  He deserved it, and I was delighted for him and for his ecstatic reaction and acceptance speech

I picked up my photos from the 2001 DS fest (better late than never), and there's a fantastic photo of me and Karlen with our arms around each other.  I'm going to have it supersized!

Love, Robin

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2002, 11:23:16 PM »
1968 -- Nominated -- Emmy:  Outstanding Achievement in Daytime Programming - Individuals  Joan Bennett  

Courtesy of imdb.com ;D
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2002, 12:40:47 AM »
1968 -- Nominated -- Emmy:  Outstanding Achievement in Daytime Programming - Individuals  Joan Bennett

Oooos...nevermind. Got a little carried away.

[shadow=purple,left,300]Always, Minja [heh][/shadow]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2002, 01:20:13 AM »
Dear RaineyPark,

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I believe that the much-maligned Addison Powell won a Tony award for one of his Broadway stage performances.  I'll check with my "good buddy," critic Donald Lyons, to ascertain the specific, award-winning performance of this wonderful actor and get back to you.  

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who wishes that all of Mr. Powell's detractors would recognize and appreciate his acting genius!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2002, 01:40:36 AM »
Dear RaineyPark,

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I believe that the much-maligned Addison Powell won a Tony award for one of his Broadway stage performances.  I'll check with my "good buddy," critic Donald Lyons, to ascertain the specific, award-winning performance of this wonderful actor and get back to you.  

Bob, as much as it pains me to disagree with you, I searched the official Tony Awards website and Mr. Powell is not among the past winners.  Here's the link--the only thing I can think of is that he may have used a different stage name at one point.

Tony Archives

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2002, 02:49:19 AM »

the only thing I can think of is that he may have used a different stage name at one point.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did change his name after Dark Shadows.
[evily]

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Addison Powell
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2002, 03:19:26 AM »

Bob the B,

Addison Powell won an Obie Award the first year they were given out for his off-Broadway role in "The Iceman Cometh" along with 2 other actors.  It's listed here:

http://www.villagevoice.com/cgi-bin/obies/obies_year.cgi?year=1955-56

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2002, 03:21:40 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he did change his name after Dark Shadows.
[evily]

[lghy] But he didn't. He appeared in several films made after DS under Addison Powell - including that seminal mid-70s film, The Reincarnation of Peter Proud, as the pro shop clerk whom Michael Sarrazan questioned about his former self.
(I've never been able to look at Margot Kidder in quite the same way after having seen this film! [wink2] Powell also shares a scene with Kidder - but not, uh, THE scene.)