Author Topic: Your own dream curse  (Read 2279 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Your own dream curse
« on: May 15, 2002, 06:30:06 AM »
What is the worst one you ever had? As a young adult I had this one. I was riding with my friend Grant in his old Galaxy, as we often did in reality. We were going through a neighborhood and started seeing dead bodies laying in the yards and on the sidewalks. We kept going and there were more and more. I vividly remember a child on a tricycle that was tipped over. Finally, the bodies were so many and in the street that we couldn't drive anymore. As we were sitting there bemused, (not horrified, as you would think) a person I recognized walked up and said "Do you know Grant? Tell him they are all DEAD."  I woke up.

The main thing I remember is the clarity and detail, it was like a movie. I had not seen Night of the Living Dead yet, or any movie that looked like that, and this dream was definately in color.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Your own dream curse
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2002, 08:40:43 AM »
I remember one from childhood and it's one of the reasons I can believe the dream curse.  While it often seems a bit silly and not nearly as terrifying to us as it's supposed to be, things often seem terrifying in the context of the dream when they don't in reality.  The way Maggie described about the skull and how she couldn't get by it, etc., one could feel her terror even though it didn't appear that way to us.

I think I was just a few years old, at most 5 or 6, and I had a dream in which the glass shade over the ceiling light was swaying back and forth.  I think the decorative line on each of the four sides was a different color.  And as this thing swayed back and forth, a deep and mysterious voice kept saying, "back and forth; back and forth").  It sounds really silly and I'm sure even back then, once I woke up, it sounded silly.  But I recall I was terrified of it and, obviously, still remember the experience!!
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2002, 10:03:56 AM »
I had a strange dream awhile back that I was one of the stores that I use to frequent alot as a child. It was the summer time, and as I was putting my things on the counter to pay. All of a sudden, the people behind the counter pointed down at my legs and started screaming in terror! Since it was the summer time, I was wearing shorts and I suddenly felt this sting of something grabbing down at my ankles. And what ever it was, it wasn't letting go. I was so frozen with fear that I was too afraid to look down to see what it was. The folks behind the counter were holding their hands over their eyes and screaming so much that it made me feel worse. I was crying & screaming and begging someone to help me. Finally two police officers came running in and pointed their rifles down at my feet. When they finished shooting what ever it was, one of the cops said to me, " you can finally look now and see what it was that was on your leg." As I turned to look down, I suddenly woke up. Real strange. It seemed so real as I remember feeling so much terror and horror that I was too scared to move an inch.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2002, 03:12:12 PM »
I have had this dream of and on my whole life.  I am driving in the rain and it is really raining and the road ahead is covered with water and I need to get to the other side very badly, I don't know why, every where I turn there is water.  

I can imagine some analyst would have a great deal to say about these posts.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2002, 07:02:08 PM »
I've had several nasty ones over the years.  Here are two that stand out.

One of my earliest recurring nightmares happened when I was around 4 and was brought to me by the Wonderful World of Disney after my parents innocently took me to see "Darby O'Gill and the Little People".  Between the Banshee and the old glass horse-drawn hearse flying through the black night sky I managed to wake up screaming for several nights afterward.  

Sometime during my teens I can remember having this really hideous dream that my mother, sister and I were being taken in front of a firing squad (circa 1940's Nazi Germany).  This was realistic down to the period clothes, hairdos, everything and was in living color (even had a kind of sepia tone look about it).  Just before the Nazi's raised their rifles to shoot I saw a chance to slip through an arch in the brick wall. When I got to the arch I froze in horror and couldn't run because my mother and sister were still standing there and unable to get away and apparently oblivious to the fact that I had escaped.  As I tried to decide what I could do I woke up.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2002, 02:15:08 AM »
I have had so many terrifying dreams over the years, I can't even place them. Most of my dreams deal with school, like where I can't find my locker and the bell rings or I get to class and realize I have a huge report due but haven't even started it-the whole dream I spend trying to distract the teacher, hoping she too will forget it. But a dream that really stands out to me right now it one I had 2 nights ago. It was so realistic.

I was driving with my mom and little sister to my choir concert (which I really do have one this week) and our car breaks down in front of this country cemetary. No one is around, so we just pull over by the side of the road and wait. No one is even driving by, so we decide to walk around the cemetary, since it is huge. We get to this new plot of land, which is completely empty, but has all these parallel lines drawn in the dirt. My sister, mom, and I are standing there looking at these line and suddenly I step back on a line. Well, these lines are actually markers saying there is hollow ground underneath. I fall in this empty grave and I am just frozen down there with fear. My mom and sister are just standing there, looking down and laughing at me. I can't climb out and am screaming, clawing at the dirt. But the wierdest part was, instead of being scared about being in a grave, all I could think about was being late to my choir concert! Then I just woke up.

I always have this one dream, usually once every few monthes. It starts out differently each time, but each time I realize my house has been buried over a cemetary. Slowly, the gravestones start rising out of the ground. It is horrible!

Now thinking about these dreams and hoping I won't have them again,
Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2002, 03:05:01 AM »
All my dreams are nightmares - just like on Dark Shadows!

I've only had one recurring dream in my life as far as I can remember. It was when I was very little, probably about 4. I would dream I was walking down the street with my older sister and her friend. A man would walk up behind us or step out from around the corner, grab me and pick me up, and my sister and her friend would just keep on walking, oblivious to this. I would try to call out for help but found I had no voice (like Maggie when she tried to scream). Then I'd wake up.

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2002, 04:53:43 AM »
Talking about movies that give you nightmares.  When I was young I saw  "War of The Worlds", it terrified me.  I was raised by my grandmother and I slept with her for two weeks.

Have any of you ever dreamed you went somewhere stark naked and nobody notices.

Or dreamed of going to a class for an exam and don't even remember even taking the course.

Just some thoughts.   Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2002, 05:53:29 AM »
T

Have any of you ever dreamed you went somewhere stark naked and nobody notices.

Or dreamed of going to a class for an exam and don't even remember even taking the course.

Recurring dreams:

The naked dream, but always managed to hide myself before anyone saw me.

Had a recurring dream for YEARS in which I was back in high school as an adult. Had to go back and finish it (again, I DID graduate). Yecchhh, my version of hell. Oh, and never could remember my locker number.

As a kid I had several that I was in a moving driverless car and didn't know how to drive.

My teeth all fall out. I HATE that one. Now, I'm getting to an age it could be prophetic.

Trapped in a house of evil. Nothing that bad ever happens, I just know it is going to.

[sconf] [sleep]
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2002, 06:00:40 AM »

Had a recurring dream for YEARS in which I was back in high school as an adult. Had to go back and finish it (again, I DID graduate). Yecchhh, my version of hell. Oh, and never could remember my locker number.

Mine is very similar... every few months, I dream I'm at school with about 5 minutes before the bell rings in the morning.  I can't find my locker, don't have any books, and can't remember what my first class was.  I've been out of school for 16 years now, and I still have that one all the time.  Anyway, I just go to one of the classes I knew I had during the day and sit down.  That is usually where it ends.

Deron ?!?

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2002, 11:18:02 PM »

Mine is very similar... every few months, I dream I'm at school with about 5 minutes before the bell rings in the morning.  I can't find my locker, don't have any books, and can't remember what my first class was.  I've been out of school for 16 years now, and I still have that one all the time.  Anyway, I just go to one of the classes I knew I had during the day and sit down.  That is usually where it ends.

Deron ?!?

LOL! I guess we all have this one! I get it all the time in some variation or another. It's as though I suddenly realize "Hey, I was supposed to have been going to school for the past 17 years and I blew it off!"
:o

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2002, 03:21:47 AM »
Deron said..
every few months, I dream I'm at school with about 5 minutes before the bell rings in the morning.  I can't find my locker, don't have any books, and can't remember what my first class was.  I've been out of school for 16 years now, and I still have that one all the time.  Anyway, I just go to one of the classes I knew I had during the day and sit down.  That is usually where it ends.

I have this dream all the time too, but some of these things actually DO happen to me!

-Lindsey, who knows she should be typing her Biology report right now, but really doesn't feel like doing it.

Ugh, we dissected frogs yesterday in Biology, I am sure that brings back alot of memories from everyone here! :)
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2002, 06:09:11 AM »
One of the many that I've had was in high school, before I'd seen NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD; and DAWN OF THE DEAD hadn't been made yet. Like most of my dreams, it was in glorious technicolor and 70mm Cinemascope, with THX surround sound.

I was riding with a friend in his car through a strange town, and I saw a number of people lined up on top of a tall building. One of them jumped off and went splat on the ground. Another one followed, and I realized these people were all lined up to kill themselves. My friend and I got out of the car and ran to see what was going on. At the base of the building, a group of people was standing in a circle around some of the bodies; each person was passing a bucket from one to another to drink from. Apparently they had filled the bucket with blood from the dead people; I realized then that all the people drinking the blood were themselves reanimated dead. Then they passed the bucket to me. When I kinda panicked, they realized I was not one of them and began to chase me.

Somewhere in there, I woke up. I'm pretty sure they didn't get me because I'm still here.

This, like most of the nightmares I've had, ended up in one of my stories. For a vivid account of perhaps my most terrifying nightmare, read my story "Fugue Devil" in The Last Trumpet. ;)

--Mark

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2002, 08:05:50 PM »
I always have a reoccurring dream wherein I find myself in a familiar place.  I'm doing what i'm supposed to do there, talking to people I know and then it occurs to me. .hey why am I back here?  I have a COLLEGE degree, why am I in High School again!  Get me out! Then I'm always stuck in some strange thought process of trying to assure myself that I do have a HS diploma and my college papers too and don't need to be there.
Julia99

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2002, 09:58:49 PM »
While in college, especially my final year, I kept having a dream in which I was ordered to report to the Dean's office.  Once there, he told me I was missing a math credit (my least favorite subject, of course) and wouldn't graduated until I satisfied that requirement.  I spend the rest of the dream arguing with him, outlining the math courses I'd already taken, pointing out that they completely fulfilled my requirement and I deserved to graduate!

The Dean kept arguing with me, finally telling me that he didn't want to listen to me anymore, and I should just make arrangements to take the missing math class and tell my family not to come to graduation.

My father died suddenly only a month before I was due to graduate, and I had that dream just about every single night until I actually DID get my diploma, all necessary math classes taken!  

To this day, under moments of tremendous stress, I dream that same nightmare.  

Love, Robin