Author Topic: Elvira's Movie Macabre HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS bits -  (Read 1562 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Elvira's Movie Macabre HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS bits -
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 11:07:33 PM »
Thanks for posting those links.  By a coincidence, yesterday I found the old full-length trailer for hoDS on YouTube (the one that runs around 2 and 1/2 minutes long) and really enjoyed watching it again.  In some ways a superior viewing experience to the movie!

I kept thinking I recognized the male announcer's voice but couldn't quite get it.  Anybody out there have any idea who did the work?  I kept thinking he might have been one of the "horror hosts" of the period.

In completely unrelated news, I LMAO when thumbing through a new book about the late Pete Duel in the workroom here (I work in a gigantic academic library), and I spotted on one page the terse sentence "Roger Davis was a FOOTNOTE."  They meant as a replacement for Mr. Duel, but I'm afraid the way it was written made me cackle cruelly.

We DS fans can be so unkind--in addition to be cultish, raving, and benighted, of course!

G.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:15:02 AM »
Hilarious! Nice to get an Elvira fix in the mix, those were the good ol' days! >:D
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 05:26:00 AM »
I love Elvira.    Very late Saturday night it was a ritual, in Chicago in the 80s on channel 66.   I sent away for fan club info., and was very surprised and disappointed to find it was a dead serious, humorless fan club, not a fun ironic sort of parody fan club.    I loved when she'd jump into the movie for a sight gag or something for three seconds.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 01:02:06 PM »
if anyone is interested i have the 1983 movie macabre with elvira spoofing HODS on vhs or dvd-r home cooking off of KHJ channel 9 in LA.  email kokomokid1955@yahoo.com if interested...cost of shipping and media is all i ask
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 08:35:04 PM »
I loved Elvira back in about 1981 - '82 when I was living in San Diego.  They've got some of her old Movie Macabres out on DVD now, I bought several and really enjoyed going back to my teenage days  ;D  I guess there are several more coming out soon as well.

Unpleasant dreams  ;D

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 11:10:44 AM »
KHJ CHANNEL 9 in LA aired the Movie Macabre HODS back in 83 with a slightly watered down version of the movie.  The Carolyn burial scene in the pouring rain was cut as was some of the more lengthy gore scenes...but at least Elvira had her say and funky critique of the movie in full....and the Mazda commercials for the 83 models were classic.
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 06:12:34 PM »
Initially was not an Elvira fan, but was DRAGGED to her movie Elvira Mistress of the Dark back in the late 80's and have to tell you it was hysterical!  One of my all time faves!  Love how The Simpsons has their own version call Boobarella!  8)  
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 07:01:23 AM »
I've always thought there should have been an entire movie devoted to the Elvira Road Trip part, with another devoted to her in Falwell, Massachusetts.    They could have done so much more with her in that car on the road.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 07:50:23 PM »
They could have done so much more with her in that car on the road.

Yet another astute observation from Trask.

That car was BOSS!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey