Author Topic: Cassandra:  Matchmaker, Matchmaker, make me a Match  (Read 911 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Cassandra:  Matchmaker, Matchmaker, make me a Match
« on: May 14, 2002, 05:44:17 AM »
Julia:  Why do you want me to meet Professor Stokes??

Cassandra:  I think you'll like him, you might even become **good** friends. . .

Was Cassandra trying to gauge Julia's interest in new friends, matchmake her with T. Eliot and ensure Barnabas does not have an ally?  Or was she being truthful? (oh, please!)
Julia99

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cassandra:  Matchmaker, Matchmaker, make me a Match
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2002, 06:40:57 AM »
Oh, please is right! She is trying to arouse Julia's heart in a different direction. A more noble friend might do it to steer someone they loved from someone not very good for them. I hardly think that is Angelique's motivation. Though you do have to give her points for subtlety, when she could just zap her with a spell or get her out of the picture completely!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2002, 09:15:45 AM »
Funny how you notice different things each time you watch these episodes. You sure did hit it right Julia99 with that "oh please!!"  Julia really doesn't know her well enough yet, but she has heard enough about her from Vicky & Barnabas. Cassandra had mentioned to Julia that "a good way to get to know people is to meet their friends." Cassandra isn't stupid and she has to make herself look good. I think Cassandra feels by introducing Julia to the good Prof.Stokes, Julia will be so impressed by "her friend" that she'll be discouraged from believing the bad things she's heard about her from Baranbas & Vicky.  I have to admit though, that look on Cassandra's face when Julia stormed out after Barnabas' phone call was truly priceless!! :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2002, 03:14:43 PM »
In light of some of Cassandra's other antics (fun to watch though they might be), this one always impressed me with the subtlety of it.  

My interpretation of it was that it's a two-fold plan.  I agree with our Cassandra totally, and I think there was an attempt there at getting Julia out of the way with another man (although if my interpretation of Stokes is correct, that was just never going to work either).

It's really not a bad approach on the part of the second Mrs. Collins.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga