Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--That's NOT a Knife 5/13  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--That's NOT a Knife 5/13
« on: May 14, 2002, 03:58:43 AM »
Fashion notes first (although not too many of them) . . .

For once Addison Powell appeared without all the eye makeup.  Vast, vast improvement.  Also noticed that JF lacked in the macquillage (sp?) dept.  Again, vast improvement.

I've come to think that Vicki looks very well in dark colors.  Coat was kind of attractive too.

Thought Julia's brown dress and scarf was quite nice.  Amazing though how she left Collinwood in her dress and magically arrived at Lang's house with a coat.

Onto the show . . .

Couldn't the prop people find a decet sized scalpel?  That knife looked like the worst it could do was cut a peach.  

Frid did a really nice job in these episodes.  I don't often say this, but his acting was a high note of these two episodes.  Really, really conveyed the desperation and resignation of the character.

Did wonder though at the dialogue that had Barnabas working about what his new face would look like once he was in the body rather than there are just some things too monstrous to do--but was pleasantly surprised to hear him talking more morally (okay, comparatively so) a few minutes later.  I actually felt sorry for the character a couple of times.

Lang's prediction of Vicki's "life of unending joy" with Jeff.  Somehow, I think that anyone married to PJ there (Peter/Jeff) ain't going to be experiencing anything close to unending joy.

God, Eric Lang is a pompous ass.  Smug, condescending, crazy, and pompous as all get out.

Wondering why Lang insists on throwing a sheet over Jeff's anesthetized body; is he thinking of birds or something?  

Powell should have been stopped from using those melodramatic hand gestures.  

Good Lord, the whole confrontation scene was like something out of Batman with Addison Powell as Adam West and Frid as Robin.  

Always found it interesting that Cassandra went for a rather subtle approach in trying to hook up Julia and Stokes--too bad it would never have worked anyway.

Um, why would Dr. Lang be treating a mental patient?  He's a GP, isn't he?  Wouldn't Julia question that?  And what a nutso excuse that was about blocking Jeff's memories to keep him from going nuts.  That's not how mental illness works.  

Steve, I know you're going to hate me for this, but I have never liked Grayson Hall's screams.  

"One more life"  Okay, do these people ever listen to themselves speak?  Essentially, what Barnabas is saying is: It's perfectly all right, Julia.  We only have to murder one more person.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Thoughts--That's NOT a Knife 5/13
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2002, 09:30:10 AM »
As to the coat, when she told Cassandra that she had to leave, she reached for a coat before going out the door.

I know everyone carries on about Powell's acting, but I really hadn't remembered reacting to it like that before.  While not wild about him, I had always considered the part satisfactory for what it was supposed to be.  So, this time I've been quite surprised at how he shouts almost all of the time and all of his wild arm gestures.  Several times, especially in the confrontation with Barnabas (and both of them messing up lots of lines, too), I was literally laughing out loud.  As dramatic as the scenes were, I was really having quite a bit of fun with them this time.

I'll have to agree about Grayson's screams.  While I appreciate most of her acting, when she has to scream like that or the "sobbing" she was doing while dialing the phone, it comes across as rather overdone and fake.

I can't believe Julia letting out that scream upon seeing the body, either.  After all, Jeff had told her what it was.  At that point she had seen enough to suspect that he might have told her the truth.  Given everything else she does (confronting a vampire for instance!), I can' believe her suddenly screaming uncontrollably at the sight of the "creature."
Josette

Offline Linda

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
Re: Idle Thoughts--That's NOT a Knife 5/13
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2002, 03:11:55 AM »

>>>Lang's prediction of Vicki's "life of unending joy" with Jeff.  Somehow, I think that anyone married to PJ there (Peter/Jeff) ain't going to be experiencing anything close to unending joy. <<<

Aw, come on  :) :) Haven't you EVER wanted to be married to a guy who stockpiled cadavers (or pieces thereof) for a living???

>>>God, Eric Lang is a pompous ass. <<<

Yes, but I think that's what makes his character such a hoot.  He reminds me of the way my friends and I must have sounded years ago when we were stoned off our butts and talking about how we would achieve world peace.  :D

Cheers,

Linda