Author Topic: Please help me with airdates of reruns  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Please help me with airdates of reruns
« on: July 09, 2007, 11:59:12 PM »
Good evening, cousins. I was hoping some of the old timers ( :P) could help me "figure out my past".

I think I might have first seen DS in reruns in the ealry 70s, but have no memory of them. The show captured my imagination when NBC Channel 4 in NYC began running the reruns in the afternoon. It lasted a while, but eventually I was forced to hunt for the 3am broadcasts. This must have been somewhere around 1982 or 83, but I just don't know when exactly. Can anyone help?

Additionally, if anyone can tell me the month and year they began to rerun DS on NJN, I'd appreciate it.

"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me with airdates of reruns
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 01:40:47 AM »
Hi!

The show captured my imagination when NBC Channel 4 in NYC began running the reruns in the afternoon. It lasted a while, but eventually I was forced to hunt for the 3am broadcasts. This must have been somewhere around 1982 or 83, but I just don't know when exactly. Can anyone help?

I think it was 1982.  The broadcast time was changed to early morning (or as MB and I would call it, late night ;)) by the summer of that year.

Additionally, if anyone can tell me the month and year they began to rerun DS on NJN, I'd appreciate it.

That one I know for sure, because it was around the time of the first DS Festival (held in Newark)-- that was Fall, 1983.

This is based on what I've read over the years, because I was and still am on the other coast.

David

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 05:12:23 AM »
I was living in NYC in April 1982, when DS reruns began on WNBC 4.
They ran the first month at 4:30PM, then switched it to 4PM for month 2.

I'll never forget the late night/early AM schedule that continued for  quite awhile after month two.
I had not yet gotten a VCR, so I had to set my alarm each night so I could get up and watch, then get back to sleep.

Mon: 3AM
Tues/Wed/Thur: 3:30AM
Fri: 4AM
Sat: 4:30AM

the schedule was quite consistent and reliable, if outrageous.

David

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 05:47:01 AM »
As I was 11, I was reduced to fighting to stay awake for the Friday and Saturday eps and hoping I could follow along. Discovering the color eps at 3AM was something.

Now I'm watching eps I've never seen before - halfway through 1968 (Dream Curse/Adam), and man, the shows feel nothing like those creepy-yet-so-dry early Barnabas episodes.

Thanks for the responses! It's crazy to find out that NJN started rerunning them only a year after the NBC syndication! In my memory they seemd farther apart.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 01:02:09 PM »
I remember first seeing them in reruns in the early eighties (around '82-or-so) while living in Las Vegas.  They aired at 10:30 at night and ran for maybe around a year or slightly less.  The next time was when I was living in Tucson in '87 when they aired mid-morning on whatever TV station had them.  They came on right after reruns of the '60's Australian show "Skippy, The Bush Kangaroo."

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 03:21:44 PM »
I was living in Harford County, Maryland, in the mid 70s, and I was inexpressibly THRILLED when Channel 48 out of Philly began running DS in syndication, I think at 11 p.m. weeknights, in late 1975 or Jan. 1976.

I was moving around a lot in those years but I believe that Ch. 48 was still running the show ten years later, in '86.  I believe that shortly thereafter they stopped showing it.

Best, G.

David

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 07:20:18 PM »
A number of PBS stations are now showing
a horror movie host show called Mr. Insomnia, or something like that.
I wonder if we could get those stations to put DS back on?

David

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:36:49 AM »
I was hoping some of the old timers ( :P) could help me "figure out my past".  I think I might have first seen DS in reruns in the ealry 70s. . .

While I can't help you "figure out [your] past" with respect to the reruns, I do take great pride in being called an "old timer" since I was fortunate to have watched [most of the Barnabas+ episodes of] DS during the initial airing on ABC, that is, at least, from June, 1969 to the final episode on April 2, 1971!   I have vague memories from the late 1970s of seeing some repeated DS episodes on the local (Dayton, OH area) PBS station (but they weren't PBS back then, I think, maybe NET [was that National Educational Television?]), and, a few years later (1982?),  more repeats from an independant Cincy station (as I recall, it was during the "Julia being terrorized by Barnabas" episodes.)

Ah, the memories...