Author Topic: 1776 on TCM July 4th~~3 DS people in this film  (Read 1530 times)

David

1776 on TCM July 4th~~3 DS people in this film
« on: July 04, 2007, 04:00:07 AM »
On July 4th, TCM will have it's annual screening of the classic Independence Day musical 1776.

Two DS supporting players~~Virginia Vestoff & David Ford~~plus one day player~~Emory Bass~~all reprise their Broadway roles in the film.

As different cable systems carry different time zone feeds of TCM, best to check your local listings for times.

Happy 4th!

David

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: 1776 on TCM July 4th~~3 DS people in this film
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 04:45:16 AM »
Also Daniel Keyes.  A discussion of his brief appearance in 1776 starts here:
Has anybody managed to spot Daniel Keyes in 1776?  He's listed in the credits, and according to IMDB, the part he played was Josiah Bartlett of New Hampshire, but so far I haven't been able to recognize him in the movie. ...

and here's a mention:
If you watch the movie 1776, not only will you see three count-'em-3 Dark Shadows alumni (although you'll see so little of Daniel Keyes that it's a wonder he even made it into the credits), but you'll never again be able to forget which were the original 13 colonies.

David

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:09:29 PM »
I thought that with 3 DS alums each, 1776 & the 1977 mini-series Washington: Behind Closed Doors were tied for the most number of DS folks in the cast.
Washington has Selby, Thayer & Lara.

But I forgot about Daniel Keyes in 1776, making the musical the hands down winner at 4!

Then again, some of the "traditional" soaps have cast many DS alums over the years.
Some many more than 4, I think.

David

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 09:48:31 PM »
I thought that with 3 DS alums each, 1776 & the 1977 mini-series Washington: Behind Closed Doors were tied for the most number of DS folks in the cast.
Washington has Selby, Thayer & Lara.

But I forgot about Daniel Keyes in 1776, making the musical the hands down winner at 4!

How about the mini-series "The Adams Chronicles" that PBS aired during the bicentennial?  It had Nancy Barrett, Addison Powell, John Beal, and Alexandra Moltke.  Alexandra's part was just a quick cameo, perhaps not unlike Daniel Keyes' in 1776.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:34:14 PM »
I am delighted to see the subject of "1776" the film on these boards. I had planned to bring it up myself many times. It is a significant work with connections to our show.
      First, you can spot Daniel Keyes after repeated viewings, although he probably has the least lines of our DS alumni. He plays Josiah Bartlett, New Hampshire delegate. He gets a few close-ups. Near the beginning of the film he is the delegate speaking just before the fire alarm scene. Another moment he speaks is when they are debating the Declaration, requesting an amendment. Both Keyes and David Ford (John Hancock, Massachusetts) look much more youthful than on their DS appearances, due to very different make-ups and with Ford sporting a full auburn wig and clean shaven face. His voice is unmistakable, and he gets a few lines in the song, "Cool, Cool Considerate Men."
       Likewise, Virginia Vestoff is much softer, playing the strong but lovesick Abigail Adams. She has a great singing voice. The original cast recording is available on CD still, and the booklet includes a nice rare photo of her. Her part is the largest of the DS actors, and she's so good, anchoring every scene she is in with sincere marital love and the struggle with the lengthy separations from  her husband John, that it's heartbreaking to remember the loss of her life and talent at such a young age.  The commentary track by the director and screenwriter remark highly on her contribution but be aware, neither ever mentions Dark Shadows and may for all I know be oblivious to any connections.
       Emory Bass's part (Judge Wilson, PA) may be described and small but pivotal. He looks the most like he did on his DS appearances. Like David Ford, he's around most of the film, but doesn't get to shine until the climax. All four of our DS performers carried their parts over from the Broadway production, of which I believe on Virginia was working almost full time on DS during the run, although Bass also at  least appeared once while doing the play.
        Their are some other tangential connections to DS as well: Ken Howard (Jefferson) was romantically involved with Donna McKechnie for some time (see her autobiography for details), William Daniels (John Adams) appeared on the "Night Stalker" TV series as a guest, and William Hansen (Cesar Rodney, DE) appeared in Dan Curtis's "Frankenstein" as Prof Waldman and in "Save the Tiger" with Lara and Thayer. There are probably numerous theatre productions and possible soap connections as well. Like DS, "1776" the movie is more theatre than film, and is cast almost entirely with stage actors rather than primarily film actors.
        I think in any manner, the film stands on its own. All the performances are great, most especially William Daniels, Howard Da Silva as Benjamin Franklin and Broadway legend John Collum as SC delegate Edward Rutledge. The songs get into your blood with repeated listenings, and the script is generally true historically and resplendent with wit and all this manages to move along quite well for its almost 3 hours length, which really may be the only thing preventing it from being a part of a regular DS weekend event. I do wish the CD has included a making of featurette rather than only a limited participation commentary track, but the quality is very good, including many previously deleted scenes.  Since I bought this both for its DS connections, and the fact I always simply enjoyed it from old tv viewings, I must say Diane has fallen in love with it and it's now one of her favorite movies, as I say to her, the title '1776' now refers to the number of times she has watched it.

Tarrytown or die!

Michael  ;)
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

David

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 02:44:47 AM »
Does ANYONE have a copy of The Adams Chronicles?
I want to see that SO BAD!

And wasn't Craig Slocum also in Adams?

David

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 03:58:40 AM »
First, you can spot Daniel Keyes after repeated viewings, although he probably has the least lines of our DS alumni. He plays Josiah Bartlett, New Hampshire delegate. He gets a few close-ups. Near the beginning of the film he is the delegate speaking just before the fire alarm scene. Another moment he speaks is when they are debating the Declaration, requesting an amendment.

Michael, thanks for the information!  Tonight I took as good a look at him as it is possible to get in 1776, and I still don't see much resemblance to the caretaker - but when he spoke, I did hear something of the caretaker's high voice.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 04:53:44 AM »
Alexandra's part was just a quick cameo, perhaps not unlike Daniel Keyes' in 1776.

Okay, not like his part, since AM had no lines and little screen time.  Thanks for the info, CyrusL!

And wasn't Craig Slocum also in Adams?

Ah, Cheryl Singletary lists it in his filmography, and I wouldn't question her research.  :)