Author Topic: #0220/0221: Robservations 10/25/01: Barnabas Meets Maggie  (Read 1409 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0220/0221: Robservations 10/25/01: Barnabas Meets Maggie
« on: October 24, 2001, 06:58:52 PM »
Some additional stuff I meant to comment on in previous eps:

Could Roger have BEEN more cold to Willie in accusing him of faking his illness, applauding his "performance"? You didn't have to be a doctor to look at the lad and see he was terribly ill--"ghastly" as Roger himself said.

Roger's attitude toward Sheriff Patterson's summons made me laugh. Roger Collins is a big man in Collinsport, sure, but if the law tells you to get down to the station, you don't tell him you've got other things to do! It was especially amusing that Roger figured Patterson only wanted him there for intelligent conversation, or to head up some charity. How WITHERING Roger is! It was kind of fun to see Rog taken down a peg or two when he went to Paterson's office, to hear about the awful blood-letting going on amongst the cattle on their farms and others. Roger's question about it being a matter of law was a good one, and he was rightly grossed out to hear why the Sheriff was brought in.

Of course, to come home and learn that Willie is genuinely in a bad way, and that a loss of blood is the culprit, gave Roger pause. Cattle drained. . .Willie drained? Connection? What could it be? You could see all this flitting across Roger's face as he fitted the pieces of a puzzle together that really don't quite fit.

As Willie tosses and turns, he dreams of the cemetery, which is damned creepy.  So sad was hearing Jason accusing Willie of betraying him, of being so changed that he doesn't react with violence, as Jason expected him to, knowing what we know about why Willie has changed and that Jason can't fathom the magnitude of it--well, it was heartbreaking! Jason is so pissed at Willie, he doesn't WANT into whatever his partner has going, and they have no future. When Jason comments that Willie seems not only empty but dead and buried, Willie's reaction got me right in the gut. Jason knows something happened in the cemetery, but has no idea what, and would never believe it if he did.

Once again, astonishing performance by Karlen, and Dennis Patrick and Louis Edmonds were a joy to watch, too, as was Dana Elcar as my favorite of all the Sheriff Pattersons.

Episode #220 - There is a strange illness at Collinwood, an illness that has caused a collapse and loss of strength, an illness that appears with the daylight and disappears as the sun sets, and the darkness grows.

Jason goes to Willie's room and finds his friend in much better health. He finds this sudden change in Willie's condition puzzling, but Willie himself offers no explanation. Jason, fed up with Willie, tells him it's time for them to split up. Willie agrees, but has no interest in Jason's offer of money or help.
Jason, noting that all the fight has gone out of his friend remarks that he seems dead and buried, a remark that upsets Willie. After Jason leaves, Vicki comes up with a tray. Willie apologizes to her in a pathetic manner;
Vicki remarks about the change in him.

Drawing room - Jason tells Liz he's convinced Willie to leave, and she encourages Jason himself to consider going. Willie comes in and begs to speak to Liz alone, but she refuses to listen to him (too bad). Willie Jason gives Willie the money. Willie says he ha no control over what's going to happen to him and passively leaves the house, head dipped down. Jason closes the door after him, wondering what the hell he meant by that.

Barnabas is overjoyed and grateful to learn that Liz is letting him move intot he Old House--for as long as he wants. He tells her he's moving in immediately and turns down her offer of help. Vicki enters and Liz tells her of Barnabas' plans. He informs them that he intends to LIVE in the Old House. Liz goes to get the keys and Barnabas tells Vicki he plans to restore some rooms in the house to their former lovely state. Vicki finds this news very exciting. Liz returns with the keys. Barnabas again expresses his gratitude and leaves. Vicki and Liz talk about Barnabas' interest in the house, and Vicki explains that she understands his feelings for it--she believes he may stay there forever.
They also discuss the change in Willie, who seemed remorseful and defeated.

Barnabas enters the Old House, smiling joyously. He calls to someone waiting outside. Willie shuffles in with reluctance, head down. Barnabas commands him to close the door, and Willie does so. This is to be our home, explains Barnabas, and there is much for Willie to do--and now it's time for Willie to "go out."
Willie cries, begging not to have to go, but Barnabas reminds him he has no choice, and Willie slowly turns and leaves. Dogs howl. Barnabas grins.

NOTES: How sorry did you feel for Willie today? I sure did, then and now. Whatever two bit con man/burglar he may have been is nothing compared with the man who has him under his thrall. I would not ever have wanted to endure those cattle calls that Willie's doing now!

When Vicki brings Willie a tray of food, he's contrite, and because it's nearly night, he's feeling lots better. He can't eat, though, so I guess getting fanged kills one's appetite. She is perplexed by his apology and agrees that his remorse is because of his sickness. He turns away as he says this, and you feel he knows his soul has been lost, too, and he's a completely different, broken man. Liz icily declares she'd like to hasten the day of Jason's departure and is surprised at Willie's speedy recovery. Willie desperately tries to warn Liz about Barnabas, but Jason is sure his friend is trying to reveal the truth about him, and pushes the $500 on him. When Willie wistfully asks, "What's going to happen to me?" Jason replies that it's up to him. No, it's not, says Willie sadly.

Barnabas is ecstatic when Liz invites him to stay at the Old House as long as he likes. He tells her he has already gotten some help when she says she'll send Mrs. Johnson down to help clean. Vicki, of course, is thrilled to hear that Barnabas plans to restore portions of the house to their original appearance. "You can't put a price on what I intend to do there," and we, knowing exactly what that is, can only smile in remembered fear. Vicki says she feels Barnabas belongs to the Old House and looks forward to his plans for restoration. She also tells Mrs. Stoddard she feels the changes in Willie are permanent ones. Even as she's remarking on this, Barnabas is inviting a timid Willie into his new home. Stooped, Willie enters the Old House, looking defeated and frightened. He sends Willie out to do something so distasteful, Willie is actually sobbing at the thought of it. "GO!" demands Barnabas, pointing out the front door. As Willie departs on his hideous task and dogs howl outside, Barnabas surveys his new/old home and smiles, happy.

Episode #221 - The residents of Collinwood are aware of a stranger in their midst, a man whose presence is felt by all. Others, far away from the great house, are soon to be aware of his presence--are soon to be aware of the mystery that surrounds him.

Barnabas wangles his way into Maggie's kind (and gossipy) heart and convinces her to invite him into the closed diner for coffee by using reverse psychology, talking about loneliness and such.
When she told him it was haunted, I started to laugh. If she knew! Being unique sets a man apart, he sighs, and she feels for him, which I'm sure he planned on. The dogs howl, unnerving poor Maggie, and he stares at her avidly when she comments on it, "Yes, I wonder." He kisses her hand--and makes sure he leaves his cane behind when he goes.

Joe comes in, never seeing Barnabas, and hears about Donna Ackerman, who was almost attacked (does this mean Barn is giving up his veal diet and going for people now)? She tells him about sad, lonely Barnabas, they find his cane, and off they go to the spooky, foggy Old House to return it, dogs howling in their wake.

At the cottage, Maggie tells Joe Barnabas made her fearful, although she does like him. I do love Maggie and Joe as a couple; they are one of the perfect pairs on DS, IMHO.

Old House - Mysteriously, the door magically opens to Maggie and Joe's pounding, but no one is there--until Joe heads upstairs to investigate, leaving Maggie alone to face Barnabas, who manages to pop up just in time for them to be alone.
Maggie introduces Barn to Joe, and you can see Mr. Collins isn't at all happy she has a boyfriend. After Barnabas thanks them cordially for returning his cane and sees them out, Willie pops out, and, knowing his employer too well already, wants to know what Barnabas has in mind for the girl.
Barnabas gazes icily at him, staring him down. Willie knows Barnabas left the cane behind on purpose, but he drops that line of questioning when ordered to go do his usual grisly task. Willie's almost crying, begging, saying he'll go crazy if he has to, but Barnabas orders him to do it, but as always, he goes, knowing his will is not his own.

Barnabas takes a candle and holds it up to his face, staring out the window. Back at the cottage, Maggie feels as if she's being stared at, being looked right through!
Barnabas' eyes blaze and he does look terrifying as he continues to glare out the window, piercing Maggie's soul. Dogs howl.

Love, Robin