Author Topic: Leviiathon question  (Read 4910 times)

IluvBarnabas

Re: Leviiathon question
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 02:47:56 AM »
Now 1968 is fresher in my memory than Leviathans.   Did they really give no clue as to how Jeb was somehow mixed up with Bradford and Victoria?   Other than getting them killed somehow?

We know Leviathan people were around in 1795/6/7, whatever....because that's where Barnabas met them.    Is there any hint of an implied reason that their being there at Collinwood back then led to Jeb offing PB and VW?    They throw a lot of extra relationships into Bradford's past, indiscriminately.    It just suddenly turned out that Eve knew him, too....

It was pretty short-sighted of Barnabas to send PB and VW mark 3 out the front door of Collinwood, assuming that since they said they were making their way out west, they would get there.     No reason to think they weren't nabbed a few minutes later and taken back to gaol.   Barnabas was naive about problem-solving at this point.   He was new at solving other people's problems and screwed up a lot.    

So now it's Barnabas' fault what happened to Peter and Vicki? I agree that Barnabas can mess up a lot when it comes to changing (or not changing)  history. But I think it's unreasonable to expect him to be able to foretell what may or may not happen.

I mean, Barnabas had absolutely NO reason to think that anything was going to happen to Peter and Vicki. I mean, I'm sure he believed that they would be smart enough to avoid the authorities and keep out of sight as they left Collinsport. He had no idea that a monsterous race of super beings existed at this point.

I still don't buy Jeb existing at all in 1796, but I have started a thread where I speculated that Barnabas' second trip back to 1796 may have led the Leviathans to rise to power and screw up Peter and Vicki's happy ending. Maybe it wasn't really Jeb but another Leviathan who looked like him that did the damage. Who knows.

I have reached the point on this that I agree that it probably is best just to ignore this insane plot development and pretend it never happened.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 04:15:24 AM »
I think Barnabas was naive in just sending them out the front door (clueless in itself) and thinking the danger was over.   Of course he wouldn't expect a Jeb, but wasn't there a manhunt for Bradford going on?   I think any of us would find it difficult to be a fugitive and remain free.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »
I'll bet what happened was that Vicky saw somebody who looked like a 1967 character (Susie at the coffeeshop, perhaps) and did her usual "Gosh you look like somebody I know" bit and things went downhill from there until finally she ended up dead.  You can't blame Barnabas for that; it was bound to happen sometime.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 12:18:25 PM »
Chuckle snort.   Which used to be my stand-up comedy name.  I was very bad.

Hey my old pals the skulls are all here!  The band's back together!!

[candle_in_skull_2] [female_skull] [skull_winks] [candle_in_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 03:10:27 PM »
The Leviathan storyline was very unpopular with most fans.  It paled in comparison to the 1897/Quentin storyline, which earned the shows highest ratings.   The result was a sharp drop in viewers that continued through Parallel Time.  The ratings did not begin to recover until the 1995 Flash Foward and the introduction of Judah Zachary. 

Dan Curtis decided to end the Leviathan storyline months sooner than planned.  Perhaps that is why Peter Bradford made a brief appearance, to fill in the episodes until he could begin the Parallel Time storyline.  And remember, Dan was working on the House of Dark Shadows Movie.  Ambitious as he was, Dan Curtis may have had too much on his plate.

As for the demise of Victoria Winters, her departure from the show was somewhat bitter.  Alexandra Motke was already pregnant and would have to leave the show until the child was born.  Then Dan found out she had secretly married!  She was promptly released from the show.  She wanted to return "possesed" to shed her sweet image.  Dan refused and she was finally killed off.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »
Then Dan found out she had secretly married!  She was promptly released from the show.

Other than her 1967 marriage that was all over the society pages?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »
I think Bradford during Leviathans was supposed to be Paul Stoddard, didn't someone say that here?

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 07:27:22 PM »
I've heard it was supposed to be Paul's ghost and that it was a hasty rewrite that substitued Peter.
I've also heard that DC was in talks with AM to bring Vicky back and that what happened was intended to be the start up of a story where Vicky was rescued from 1796 and retuned to the present.
Either way it really sux what was done to Vicky and Peter, having theri happy ending broken for no real good reason.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 08:02:35 PM »
but wasn't there a manhunt for Bradford going on?   I think any of us would find it difficult to be a fugitive and remain free.

Actually, Peter was [spoiler] free and cleared of the murder of Noah Gifford at this point, thanks to Nathan Forbes' confession that he lied he saw Peter kill Gifford. [/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 05:47:43 AM »
Really?  [spoiler]No one was hunting for them at all?   That's a total surprise to me.   Wait, they must have been after Victoria then....?   But they'd faked her death.   They were running from something....[/spoiler]

[female_skull]

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 12:00:34 AM »
I think they were running to avoid Vicky beong caught alive and re-executed for witchcraft.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 03:11:35 AM »
[spoiler]
I think they were running to avoid Vicky beong caught alive and re-executed for witchcraft.

Really?   Then perhaps that coffin in the study (that's where it was right?  And why didn't they use that study more often?) would have served as a handy carrying case for reanimated, secretly on-the-lam Victoria, to allay suspicion.   Maybe PB could get a nice horse-drawn hearse.  If stopped, Bradford could have been taken for a nutjob who likes to take his dead girlfriend on trips to the country, though that's probably illegal too.   It sounds like believable behavior for any Roger Davis character, however.

I want Vicki to look in a mirror, and get fatally confused over the fact that even though everyone there looks like people from 1967/8, SHE no longer looks like her 1968 self.... (either of them)    She could have exited the stage saying, "I.... don't.... UNDER--"  (collapses)[/spoiler]

[female_skull] [candle_in_skull_2] [female_skull]

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 07:05:26 AM »
I thought that the Leviathans had attempted a similar plan back in 179whatever with Vicki as the bride instead of Carolyn. Unlike Carolyn, Vicki found out what was in store for and jumped from Widows' Hill. As punishment for messing up the plan, Jeb was put back into the box.
Fade Away and Radiate

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
Could the Leviathans actually achieved their goal if their "leader" had been female? And possessing Some basic interpersonal skills?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012, 06:55:15 PM »
Well, most certainly Jeb didn't have anything even remotely approaching interpersonal skills, so it certainly couldn't have hurt.  [ghost_wink]