Author Topic: Nice 1991 Series Article/Analysis  (Read 932 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Nice 1991 Series Article/Analysis
« on: June 14, 2007, 04:37:58 PM »
Dark Shadows Revived: Breathing Life into the Deceased

Not 100% accurate (for example, unless Ms. Phillips is perhaps referring to local station preemptions (which I would wonder how she would know about) the show was not "preempted almost every night it was scheduled to air because of the war'scoverage." It was preempted on the West Coast on January 18th and shown an hour later than expected in other time zones, with the 18th's show being shown on the West Coast along with the 25th's show on the 25th - and a subsequent episode was cut into one time in the Eastern and Central time zones (right in the middle of a pivotal seance!  >:() due to the news of a plane accident - and that's as far as it goes network wise.  ;)), but a very nice read nonetheless. And a word of warning: it contains spoilers for those who've never seen the '91 series, so read it at your own risk.  :)

(Thanks to Nancy for posting the Frid article on CE/A because it alerted me to the link to this one.  :))

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Nice 1991 Series Article/Analysis
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:28:47 PM »
That's very nice.  I wouldn't agree with the author in giving Angelique's Tarot signifier as the High Priestess card.  In the 1991 version, she is strongly linked IMO to the more traditional versions of the Devil card--a person deep in the shackles of their own lust and greed.  I have also never heard of the High Priestess as a symbol of a person steeped in "shameful" knowledge.  Note that Tarot cards can represent persons of either gender--not just the gender of the figure depicted in the artwork of the specific card.

I realize this is hairsplitting in the eyes of most, but still...

And why does the author call her Josette du "Pris"?

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Nice 1991 Series Article/Analysis
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 12:20:45 AM »
I wouldn't agree with the author in giving Angelique's Tarot signifier as the High Priestess card.  In the 1991 version, she is strongly linked IMO to the more traditional versions of the Devil card--a person deep in the shackles of their own lust and greed.  I have also never heard of the High Priestess as a symbol of a person steeped in "shameful" knowledge.

The author's source for the meanings of the Tarot cards, or at least what I've seen of it, seems fairly solid.  So, despite the frequent credits given to that website by Ms. Phillips, the fault for confusing the interpretations of the various cards lies squarely with the author.  (She couldn't even be consistent in her article with capitalizing the word Tarot.)  The ONLY card meaning on aeclectic.net that refers to "shameful" knowledge IS the Devil; there is no mention of it under the High Priestess, nor (as Gothick said) should it be there.

Here's another example--
From aeclectic.netThe Hanged Man, in similar fashion, is a card about suspension, not life or death.
The author, however, wrote:  The Hanged Man represents suspension between life and death... (aeclectic.net).
Way to twist words to better suit your purpose.

I'm frankly appalled that this author would provide misinformation but make it appear factual by virtue of citing a published internet source.

I realize this is hairsplitting in the eyes of most, but still...

Heck, as long as we're splitting hairs, since she chose to write "deceased" after certain characters' names, I have to say that she missed one.  ;)