Author Topic: DS Art Gallery  (Read 4208 times)

Offline simonmagus

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
DS Art Gallery
« on: June 13, 2007, 11:43:47 PM »
Greetings fellow DS fans, Simon Magus here. On my own website I have reserved the "pictures" section as an on line DS art gallery. Where members including myself can post their original DS art.

So now here this! If you are handy with a pencil, pen, paintbrush, chalk or charcoal then we need your work. So get busy and create your masterpieces of our favorite Collins' and post them on the gallery.

The more art we have the more unique and special our gallery will be.

All art is welcome for art is like your signature, no two are ever alike. Your art is the only example of itself anywhere in the universe.

Ok where to send it?

Go to; http://groups.msn.com/TheDarkShadowsofSimonMagus

DS 4ever from Simon Magus  

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: DS Art Gallery
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 03:11:58 AM »
I've had your site bookmarked for what seems like forever, but my eye thing has kept me from getting a DS drawing done, sorry.    Great art there.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline simonmagus

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:40:36 PM »
Hey! Thanks for the feedback! You know one bad thing about the groups sites is there is no counter so I never have a clue if anyone is reading my tales or even knows I exist. So it pleases me to hear that somebody out there took a peek at the art.

If you haven't visited in awhile I have been busy writing new fan fiction lately. I have added Time After Time, Blood Relations and am currently writing Moonlight Carnival. All take place in 1971 right after the show ended. And all are one long tale so best to read them in order. Soon I will be adding some new illustrations on my album for those 3 tales and plan many more to come.

I also discovered the description button so I added a lot of captions to my album, Ken Caroli's album and I placed all the dialogue from Al Cardin's DS comic book above the pages so you can read it more easily.

Ok still looking for artists. Thanks for the reply.

Offline simonmagus

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 02:14:34 AM »
Message for Midnite, Simon Magus here. I have a mission for you if you choose to accept it. I noticed you have this awesome picture of Quentin's portait which morphs into the werewolf portrait from the tv series. Now as you read in my first post I am looking for all DS art.

If time and technology allows I really really would love it if you would start an album on my DS art gallery. I want an album containing all of the cool paintings from the tv series in one album. A DS art gallery is incomplete without the actual art from the series.

Ok here is a list of the paintings I would like you to post in the album. (If you wish.)

1. Josette's portrait from the tv series
2. Laura the Phoenix with David in flames
3. The painting of Betty Hanscom
4. Barnabas Collins 1795 from the foyer
5. Barnabas Collins by Sam Evans 1967.
6. Portrait of Angelique from the antique shop
7. Same portrait aged by Sam Evans
8. Portrait of Quentin Collins-1897
9. Portrait of Quentin with werewolf face
10 Portrait of Quentin as old man
11.Portrait of Angelique Parallel Time
12.Portrait of Josette from House of DS
13.From the movie Night of DS "Charles Collins carrying dead Tracy to Angelique on recliner.

Ok that's all I can think of. I would do this myself but I have neither computer nor scanner. I have to rely on a friends scanner to post my own illustrations.

Ok think it over and get back with me. I know the fans of DS would absolutely be thrilled with seeing all of the DS paintings in one spot. I know I would. In fact I planned to do this myself someday in the future but having seen your morphing Quentin it is clear to me you may be able to do this now.

Well I don't ask for much do I? Lol.

DS 4ever from Simon Magus  

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 02:58:30 AM »
I would do this myself but I have neither computer nor scanner.

Now I really respect you, Simon!   

There was of course the portrait of whoever that hung in the Drawing Room, someone who never figured into any plots.   If you include Ang's first portrait, I want the right of editorial commentary on how incredibly ugly it is.    I also want to do a Rod Serling voice and stand in front of the portraits on your site scaring the shit out of everybody.   

If you ever see something DS from me, it will be a Marie Wallace first, though I find no good photos with enough detail.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 05:03:23 AM »
Hi again, Simon Magus.  Oh, if I had the time, I would be happy to start the album.  Unfortunately, administering these Forums is pretty time consuming, and it's a crunch with the absence of our fabulous Global Mod, though MB and I continue to offer customer service to any member who needs it.  :D

Would you believe that it was ages before I could set aside the time to create the avatar for myself?   :-

Your site continues to impress!

M.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 07:29:40 AM »
LOL Magnus!  ;D

Offline simonmagus

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:15:22 AM »
Ok then, Perhaps one of the members will take up the challenge. If not I will eventually have the equipment to do it myself.

Yeah, I wonder who that guy was hanging in he drawing room. I may have to do a story around him.

Reguarding the antique shop Angelique portrait I did have a theory about that.

I suggested in one of my tales that when Angelique was burned by Ben and Barnabas in 1796, her spirit hung around the mansion. Then in 1897 when she became aware of Charles Delaware Tate she came to him in a dream and caused him to rise and paint her portrait. Which since he had the power of creation returned her to life ala Amanda Harris. Thus she lived from 1897-1968 and placed her portrait in the antique shop. This is why when Barnabas had Sam Evans age it, it affected her and why when Nicholas destroyed her it changed to white. Then she was destroyed by Diabolos for interfering with Nicholas plans. This was the spirit of Angelique that was conjured from the flames by Quentin and Evan and is why she had full memory of her life in 1968. She then lived it one day at a time from 1897-1970 when she again interefered with Nicholas and the Leviathans and I think it was then that Diabolos sent her back in time and resurrected her in 1840. But this time he wiped her memory so that she would remember only her 1795 life.

Ok that's my two cents on the Angelique antique shop portrait. It was a Tate, but he was sleep walking when he painted it. Lol.

DS 4 ever from Simon Magus

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »
The portrait that hangs over the fireplace in the drawing room is of Jeremiah and the one over near the piano is of Isaac Collins, who (in Carolyn's words) "started the whole wingding" - in other words, he founded Collinsport in the 17th century.  ;)
As for the people depicted in the other three portraits, we know the names of two of them. Check out:
*** Be The First To Spot Leonardo's Portrait! ***
But how they figure into things remains a mystery...

And as for Angelique, the show established that, before she was resurrected by Evan and Quentin in 1897, she was in hell.  :)

Offline simonmagus

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 11:55:03 PM »
Ok we got waaay off topic. My fault. I do tend to ramble on, I know. But the original topic is the DS art gallery. I was gratified to see 80 people so far have checked out this post. Hopefully they checked out the gallery too.

Ok listen up. We need more art or even just a promise of art would do. Now I know you're holding out on me out there. I bet a lot of you have undiscovered talent. Why not put it to good use?

Or if you know someone who has artistic talent but is not a DS fan, then print off some Collins photos from a site such as the Dark Shadows Files which is linked to my own. They have tons of photos. Pick out a few, print them off and see if you can encourage your talented friend to create some original artwork for us.

Well I guess you got the idea by now. I'll get off my pulpit.

DS 4 ever from Simon Magus

Offline simonmagus

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 02:46:57 PM »
Holy Smokes! I just found Heather's rendition of Barnabas under her post Re; Frid Art. Isn't that fantastic!!

I posted to her hoping she will post it on my DS art gallery. She mentioned doing one of Julia too.

Just the kind of original artwork I want.

Offline simonmagus

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 11:06:40 PM »
Hello again, Simon Magus here. They say ask and ye shall recieve and I am glad to announce that another artist has stepped forward to contribute to the DS Art Gallery.

Did you ever wonder what our favorite DS characters would look like if drawn by Japanese Anime? Check out the work of Kuroyama_Arashi on my site.

I flipped when I saw these. I have always dreamed of an animated movie of Dark Shadows. But I could never picture what the characters would look like. Now I know! I can actually see them moving and interacting in my mind.

What Arashi has done is hand draw them and then use photo shop to color them and I think it's a fabulous addition to the gallery.

Oh since I have your attention, re; the post where I asked Midnite to try and find the DS portaits on the show. Well guess what? Someone already did this. Type in The Olivia Corey Memorial Art Show in your search engine and lo and behold there they are? Along with some very funny captions. So now I can post them myself as soon as I get my new printer and scanner.

I tried to post a link to the site but failed. Probably my silly msntvsystem. But it's easy to find in search.

Ok I'll keep you posted if we get any more art on the gallery.

http://groups.msn.com/TheDarkShadowsofSimonMagus

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 02:07:02 AM »
Did you ever wonder what our favorite DS characters would look like if drawn by Japanese Anime? Check out the work of Kuroyama_Arashi on my site.

I flipped when I saw these. I have always dreamed of an animated movie of Dark Shadows. But I could never picture what the characters would look like. Now I know! I can actually see them moving and interacting in my mind.

What Arashi has done is hand draw them and then use photo shop to color them and I think it's a fabulous addition to the gallery.

Thanks!  Oh, arashi, your drawings are amazing.  The Quentin and Beth pic is my absolute favorite.

Someone already did this. Type in The Olivia Corey Memorial Art Show in your search engine and lo and behold there they are? Along with some very funny captions. So now I can post them myself as soon as I get my new printer and scanner.

I tried to post a link to the site but failed.

Click: The Olivia Corey Memorial Art Show  It's good to see that Graeme's (he's a member, btw) page is still up.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 01:16:36 AM »
Gah! Thanks so much!  [blshy]

Offline simonmagus

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 01:43:38 AM »
Arashi!! Ah there you are! I cannot thank you enough for your fabulous contribution to the DS Art Gallery.

Words fail me. Easily my favorite contribution right up there with Al Cardin's DS comic that he wrote and drew.

The wonderful thing about art is no two artists ever draw the same subject the same way. Your contribution is the only example of your your style of DS artwork anywhere in the world.

I hope time allows for you to draw Barnabas and Count Petofi in this style. Like you 1897 was also my favorite seqment on the series.

Well the site will only be up forever so there is no rush. Thank you once again for this terrific contribution.