Author Topic: Right Off the Rack  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Right Off the Rack
« on: May 10, 2002, 07:30:34 PM »
The lime-green coat of Cassandra, aka Angelique, has appeared.  Don'tchya just love the sixties?  My mom had an almost identical coat, exact same color.  But she never had any problems with cigarette lighters - she didn't smoke.  And she didn't have to use curses to get us to do what she wanted.  She used something far more affective, every mother's ultimate weapon:  guilt.

Gerard

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Right Off the Rack
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 07:49:24 PM »
The lime-green coat of Cassandra, aka Angelique, has appeared.  Don'tchya just love the sixties?
Gerard

Who didn't like the sixties?  The '60s brought us Dark Shadows!!!!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 09:19:50 PM »
The lime-green coat of Cassandra, aka Angelique, has appeared.  Don'tchya just love the sixties?  My mom had an almost identical coat, exact same color.  But she never had any problems with cigarette lighters - she didn't smoke.  And she didn't have to use curses to get us to do what she wanted.  She used something far more affective, every mother's ultimate weapon:  guilt.

Gerard

I love all those bright prints and colors from the sixties!!
my mother was quite good at that too Gerard!!

LOL
jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2002, 10:22:03 PM »
Guilt - OH YEAH! [heh]  And when she was really mad she would always whip out my middle name! Beth ANNE...[eek]...Angelique had nothing on her when she was in one of those moods! [batang]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2002, 02:16:44 AM »
THE 60'S WERE GREAT TO GROW UP IN!!

The music can't be beat, DARK SHADOWS, THE BEATLES, BEACHBOYS.....................The bright colored fashions! Those of you who grew up then know what i'm talking about. Naturally though, I was just a baby back then .......LOL    :D
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2002, 03:28:38 AM »
THE 60'S WERE GREAT TO GROW UP IN!!

The music can't be beat, DARK SHADOWS, THE BEATLES, BEACHBOYS.....................The bright colored fashions! Those of you who grew up then know what i'm talking about. Naturally though, I was just a baby back then .......LOL    :D

And how about candy bars costing only a nickel?  And going to the movies with one dollar, and with it (especially for Saturday matinees), you got a double-feature, previews, cartoons and a documentary, along with popcorn, soda, candy AND you had change left over.  Remember singing the Winston cigarettes TV commerical jingle?  Wearing Red Ball Jet tennis shoes?  Everyone going over to the home of the first family on the block who purchased a color television?  Fins on Cadillacs?  On summer days, just taking off for the entire day until supper time and your parents were never concerned?  (Your mom was grateful to get you out of her hair anyway.)  Kids still went trick-or-treating on the actual Halloween night, and the streets were crammed full of them?  Christmas decorations didn't go up in stores or on the streets until well after Thanksgiving AND only one Santa came to town for just a couple days, everyone standing in line (unlike SEVERAL now found in the SAME malls)?  Having one of those gigantic, boxy, noisy window-unit air-conditioners meant that you were considered "upper crust" (the rest of us made do with open windows and fans, and no one had central air)?  Singing "Downtown" along with Petula Clarke on the radio?  Parents whispered about some new movie called "The Graduate" because it was considered "dirty"?  "The Flintstones" was a prime-time evening animated sitcom?  Sunday evening ALWAYS meant "Lassie" or "The Wonderful World of Disney", followed by "The Ed Sullivan Show", and then ending with "Bonanza"?

Gerard

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2002, 03:44:26 AM »
The lime green coat is a statement, but wait for the infamous dress Cassandra wears when...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Trask exercises her.
My understanding is after she was done with it she sold to NBC and they used it as a stage curtain on Rowan & Martins Laugh-In. That pattern is a true blast from the past!

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2002, 09:28:49 AM »
I was pretty young to remember alot during that time but I did get a good education about things from watching my two older sisters, who were teenagers at the time. Who can forget playing those 45rpm records on the record player? My sister's had stacks of them and I would play them by the hour!  Even though I was a young kid then, I still did enjoy alot of things that these little ones today, probably never heard of. We use to play games such as Ring o leavio (not sure of the spelling) and "Red rover, Red rover, we call so and so over," not to mention those metal roller skates, hula hoops,footsies,jump ropes and pogo sticks. It's sad to say, but I hardly ever see kids playing outside like this anymore.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2002, 09:55:04 AM »
As long as you mentioned hula hoops - when they were the big thing (I'm not sure how old I was, I'll guess 10-12 or so), I could do it rather effortlessly.  Nothing fancy, but just generally keeping it going was easy.  Whereas my parents, aunts, etc. couldn't do it.  Well, a few years ago I tried, and sure enough, I can't do it anymore!!
Josette

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2002, 05:30:25 PM »
Yes, the sixties were great for a lot of things. I just wanted to throw in Simon and Garfunkel as one of the things I loved at the time, not to mention Herb Albert, Al Hirt, Doris Day and Barbra Streisand. There was a feel and a fashion about the time that the 80's and 90's just didn't seem to have.
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2002, 06:29:07 PM »
Cassandra lamented:
It's sad to say, but I hardly ever see kids playing outside like this anymore.

That's cuz we're all talking about 60s TV shows on the computer!  LOL or at least moi ...  8)
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2002, 11:19:34 PM »
This topic is making me feel old!

All of what you listed, Gerard, is so vividly enmeshed in my memory chips, it's almost sepia-tinted!  Damn!

I wore all the same dreadful, incredibly bright colors we see on DS now, skirts up to THERE, fishnet stockings (Ruby would have been proud).  I had a bright, electric yellow coat that I just adored!  
Yeah, the 60's were a more innocent time for kids, no doubt about it.  I used to play with my friends allllll day, not returning home until dinnertime--or maybe not until after.

Remembering. . .

Love, Robin

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2002, 01:31:04 AM »
Don't forget walking to the store to buy your Dark Shadows Cards.  I drove by my old nieghborhood just last week.  I could almost see myself walking to the store, now it is a pizza palor.  Talk about times being so very different.  I lived near a small airport.  You could use this phone anc call the air traffic controler  and they would let you up into the tower.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2002, 05:32:44 AM »
Since we are talking about fashion when we were in high school I'll throw in my fashion statement.  We are talking fifties here.  Perfectly round large skirts with poodle dogs around them, the skirts over many can cans, and underskirt made out of net and many ruffles and lace.  Some even had hoop skirts.  Bobby socks and saddle shoes.  We wore our blue jeans rolled up mid calf.  Looked fine then, wouldn't even think of it now.  Puts me in mind of a Statler Brothers song titled "Do You Remember These?" country song.  Just thought I'd share this.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2002, 07:08:46 AM »
Gerard,

How about the Soupy Sales Show, Shindig, I Spy, and Hullabaloo?  I always liked the Jetsons and Johnny Quest on the tube as well.

Do you remember when the Cathoic newspaper for each archdiocese ran the list of "condemned movies" each week?  (We used to check that list and then try to get into the movies that the Church had condemned!)

I remember staying up late one night to see Jonathan Frid appear on the New York Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.  When Mr. Frid came out and shook hands with Johnny and Ed McMahon (You are correct, sir!!!), I almost did not recognize him.  Without all of that heavy makeup, Mr. Frid looked quite normal.

Jonthan Frid once appeared on the old Mike Douglas Show from Philadelphia.  (They used to drive New York celebrities down to Philadelphia in a limousine, the ninety miles down the beautiful New Jersey Turnpike to PA.)  The great jazz singer, Joe Williams, was also a guest on the show as I recall.  When Mike Douglas showed a Dark Shadows clip where the aged Barnabas gives Carolyn a hickey, Mr. Williams just about fell out of his chair laughing at the sight of it!  Mr. Frid also got a big laugh out of that scene!

Bob the Bartender, who misses the wit and wisdom of the former presidential candidate Pat Paulsen from the Smothers Brothers Show.