Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #170  (Read 22002 times)

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #170
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 06:31:13 PM »
Personally I'm hoping that the woman who claims to be Jonathan's long lost daughter shows up!   :o  That might make going to his Q&A worth it!    >:D
Long lost daughter? More info please. I haven't heard about this.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 06:57:17 PM »
LOL, actually there is no fear of that as she only uses that claim to try and get information out of people about Jonathan.  When one of her letters does arrive and is opened, she makes no mention of the supposed familial relationship.  Claiming to be a relative of JF's is one of the more common tricks fans use to try and get personal information about him.  It's such a hoot.

Nancy

Personally I'm hoping that the woman who claims to be Jonathan's long lost daughter shows up!   :o  That might make going to his Q&A worth it!    >:D
Long lost daughter? More info please. I haven't heard about this.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 07:04:07 PM »
Well, Buzz ya better find another reason to go, lol.  This lady you are talking about has been to numerous DS fests out in California that JF was at as well as to some Frid shows and has yet to mention this supposed relationship to him.  No "DAAAAADDDYYYY!!"

Nancy

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »
Well, as long as my friends from both coasts are there, I really don't mind who's not coming, and which events are missing.  It's all about the friends....always.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2007, 07:26:51 PM »
Well, as long as my friends from both coasts are there, I really don't mind who's not coming, and which events are missing.  It's all about the friends....always.  ;)

You are a good, kind soul. I don't believe what Midnight told me about you, I really don't.

nancy

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2007, 07:33:11 PM »
This lady you are talking about has been to numerous DS fests out in California that JF was at as well as to some Frid shows and has yet to mention this supposed relationship to him. 

Hmmmmm.....interesting.....ver....y interesting!  
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 07:35:37 PM »
Buzz, in fact, I'm pretty sure Guy knows of her or knew her somewhat.  He was at some of the cons she attended. She is one of those fans whose been around since the early early fan days.

nancy

This lady you are talking about has been to numerous DS fests out in California that JF was at as well as to some Frid shows and has yet to mention this supposed relationship to him. 

Hmmmmm.....interesting.....ver....y interesting! 

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Favorite Ruses to Meet Favorite Actor/ was Re: ShadowGram Update #170
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 07:49:52 PM »
Now my funny bone is tickling with all this talk about meeting Frid in August, his long lost "daughter" maybe showing up, lol.   For about eight years I went with Jonathan to do shows in different parts of the country including performances at DS events and other fan conventions (not specific to DS).

These are two of the most popular ruses fans will use to get to see JF privately somewhere.

"May I speak with Mr. Frid? I'm a distant relative and want to show him something." Top ruse.  At one performance as many as six "distant relatives/lost relatives" introduced themselves to me wanting to see JF privately.  However once at the autograph table, they never mentioned to him the belief they were related.

"I don't have long to live and I would appreciate being able to see Mr. Frid privately."  Words to that effect. Common ruse.  Some variations however at one DS Festival four dying individuals made this request.  I am happy to say that years later I have seen these individuals alive and well at various DS functions. Praise the lord, it's a miracle!

I think the above annoys me the most because there are instances where people really are desperately ill and it would be a boost for them to meet someone they admire.

nancy

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
These are two of the most popular ruses fans will use to get to see JF privately somewhere.
Those seem to be popular for the other DS cast members as well.  ;)

I prefer to be honest about it and simply say that I put out.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 08:06:01 PM »
But aren't we all distantly related, I mean if we go way, way, way, way back to the beginning. I quess it all dependss on what we believe. The real truely challanged people might go through Make a Wsih. When people take advantage it just makes it harder for people that are really challanged. I for one have very much reality of this.  :-X
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2007, 08:06:57 PM »
Well, I guess I am in MB's group number one, as I am hoping to get to the Fest for the programming and to see Jonathan, since I was lucky enough to see him before, I did not bother with the banquet, but did sign up for the Fest.  The closer friends I have in fandom are not able, or not interested in going this year, but fortunately I am happy to go to events alone and maybe rejoin my family in the evening...I am curious, does anyone in the hotel/food industry know why banquets at events like this and professional conferences are so expensive, when it is usually a three course meal with only soft drinks--just curious, though I guess for some events they have to pay for a speaker, but not at the DS Fest, or am I wrong.  Those of you who have never met Jonathan will very much enjoy chatting with him at the banquet....

Is this girl who claims to be Jonathan's daughter named Deborah something and does she live in CA?? I ask because she has posted a letter in the last several issues of Majesty magazine looking for her long lost father Jonathan Fried, can't even spell the name right---maybe some of the British DS fans can set the magazine straight??

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2007, 08:20:04 PM »
Actually, it was originally a one day event expanded into a day and a half with additional activities, not a three day festival cut short. That's where the different perceptions rest.

I don't think fans here are disputing that the DS 'event' if you will is, or ever was to be, a full-fledged 3 day Fest.  I think everyone 'gets it' that it's a 1 & 1/2 day 'event' much like last fall's Halloween party in LA and the Lyndhurst Day they had back in June 1992.  But, whether intentional or not, Shadows did refer to the August event as a Festival, see below what I've cut and pasted from my copy of Cyber Shadowgram:

This SG newsletter spotlights and announces planned programming and details for the 2007 DS Festival Convention on Friday, August 17 to Saturday, August 18, at the Westchester Marriott Hotel in Tarrytown, NY.

She even calls it a convention!

Now, you're right when you say that the 'DS Festival' is an entity (i.e. official fan club if you will), but it is also an event (in other words it's what Jim and company call our annual convention) All we're saying, as MB pointed out, is that The Festival (fan club, not the convention), or at least Marcy Robin, is calling it a Festival, not a 1 or 1 & 1/2 day 'event'.

It seems too that ppl here, while grateful for ANYTHING this year, are disappointed, and justifyably so, that it's not a full-fledged 3 day Festival w/all the stars from both coasts attending.  Some ppl plan their vacations around these Festivals, not so much to see the stars per se, but to see friends they've made through the years.  I can tell you that getting to see my friends is the ONLY reason I go to the Fests anymore as I'm WAY over the stars.  Not saying I don't like them anymore, but I'm done being star-struck.  After 17 years you'd hope that one would be over that anyway.   ;D  And while the one day events ARE fun, they are not as good as the Fests themselves.

As Gothick would say, just my two drachmas!

P.S. I'm not happy either that Johnny K won't be there either.  I look forward to seeing my boy every year and really, how many years does the poor man have left?   :-   And, as he indicated at a previous Fest, he's retired and he just waits around for the Fest's every year.  He could have been joking when he said that of course, but if not, how doubly sad for him that his annual highlight won't come to pass this year.  I too would have enjoyed seeing the two Johns onstage together in a Q&A.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2007, 08:21:35 PM »
Yes, that's the one.  Again, when in direct contact with JF she never mentions being his daughter or him being her father, lol.

Nancy

Well, I guess I am in MB's group number one, as I am hoping to get to the Fest for the programming and to see Jonathan, since I was lucky enough to see him before, I did not bother with the banquet, but did sign up for the Fest.  The closer friends I have in fandom are not able, or not interested in going this year, but fortunately I am happy to go to events alone and maybe rejoin my family in the evening...I am curious, does anyone in the hotel/food industry know why banquets at events like this and professional conferences are so expensive, when it is usually a three course meal with only soft drinks--just curious, though I guess for some events they have to pay for a speaker, but not at the DS Fest, or am I wrong.  Those of you who have never met Jonathan will very much enjoy chatting with him at the banquet....

Is this girl who claims to be Jonathan's daughter named Deborah something and does she live in CA?? I ask because she has posted a letter in the last several issues of Majesty magazine looking for her long lost father Jonathan Fried, can't even spell the name right---maybe some of the British DS fans can set the magazine straight??

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2007, 08:24:21 PM »
All that you say here is true.  In the end, I guess what it's called doesn't really matter a lick.  The Festival website calls this a celebration weekend so I just give up trying to define the damn thing, lol.

nancy

I don't think fans here are disputing that the DS 'event' if you will is, or ever was to be, a full-fledged 3 day Fest.  I think everyone 'gets it' that it's a 1 & 1/2 day 'event' much like last fall's Halloween party in LA and the Lyndhurst Day they had back in June 1992.  But, whether intentional or not, Shadows did refer to the August event as a Festival, see below what I've cut and pasted from my copy of Cyber Shadowgram:

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2007, 08:26:19 PM »
Oh, also disappointed that Chris Pennock won't be there too, was looking forward to Bush Bashing again w/him, LOL!   8)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"