Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--Roger Takes a Wife 5/08  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--Roger Takes a Wife 5/08
« on: May 10, 2002, 04:29:10 AM »
Fashion notes first . . .

Was not at all wild about Vicki's aquamarine dress.  The color was kind of blah on her and it just sort of did absolutely nothing for her.  

Liz's dress was more my speed.  Her corsage was rather large though.  And eek, the cartoon makeup is back.  

Mother of God, where did they find Cassandra's wig?  And have they never heard of styling it?

This is the first of Cassandra's outfits that would pass any safety standards for night time visibility.  While I would personally not be caught dead in something that um, bright, I have to say, I like these on Cassandra.  Maybe it's the wig, but they generally (note the generally, because there are definite exceptions ;) ) flatter her.  

The wig, however, is just plain scary.

Really didn't like Julia's gray pleated suit.  

As for Cassandra's peignoir . . . okay, I admit my first thought was that the color could be called "Pepto Pink," but it got better under different lighting.

Onto the show . . .

It's weird.  I normally dislike Angelique.  Almost as much as Barnabas.  She's just so much "it's all about me; feel my pain; you shall pay, blah, blah"  and frankly, I echo the remarks of Buffy "We all have pain" and I would like her to get over her one-night stand romance and just MOVE THE HELL ON.  Plus, she's just so damn mean, and her petty jealousies spill over onto the characters that really have nothing to do with her monomania.

But (exhaling), strangely enough, I enjoy watching Cassandra.  I think it's because the character is such a mix of cruelty and incompetence.  She waffles between focused revenge and "I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll give it the old college try".  Her clothes are fun and she's just a hoot and a half.  So welcome, Ms Parker to your stint as the second Mrs. Collins.

What was all that patronizing crap about "go upstairs and take a nap, because you're hysterical" crap that Barnabas was pulling on Liz?  This kills me.  The original Liz would never take that line of bull.

Writing . . . okay, I'll go with purposefully Batman-bad, but God, it's so uneven.  Vicki goes seesawing from wholehearted belief in the occult/supernatural to skepticism.  

How the hell would Barnabas know what Roger felt about art?  

Cassandra's appearance.  After watching Vicki freak out every blessed time someone from her trip down memory lane just shows up and stands there, you would think she'd pull a hysterical screaming jag upon seeing Angelique.  

Liked the showdown between Roger and Liz.  Almost like old times.

Some of the writing was a good deal sharper.  Color me surprised to see that Sam Hall wrote these.  Some very nice work on a number of different levels.  Performances were on key too.

You know I can't help but think though that if Cassandra had shown up in 1966 when the characters still had their brains, her stay would have turned out very different.

Adored the confrontation between Liz and Cassandra.  I absolutely loved the fact that Cassandra assumed that Roger owned the house and the money.  Nice little smirk on Bennett's face when she corrected that false assumption.  

Something that is very much a part of all of this incarnation is that desire to be the lady on the hill.  People who keep saying "I'm just a poor slob, not like you" generally have insecurities about their background.

Curious about something.  Always have been.  Cassandra does react/use to certain characters because of their resemblances to people that she knew (Maggie, Tony, Roger, etc.), but Liz is the spitting image of Naomi--a woman who was genuinely kind to her.  Why then is she so hostile from day one?  I agree with the poster on the current topics board, bad tactical move on Cassandra's part.

Wondering idly here if Liz could get Roger arrested for bigamy . . .

Nice interaction between Julia and Cassandra too.

Poor Roger, what a honeymoon.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Thoughts--Roger Takes a Wife 5/08
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 05:59:52 AM »
Unfortunately, I missed this one.  I was really looking forward to the expressions on the faces of Barnabas and Vicki when Cassandra was introduced and Barnabas' veiled meanings in his conversations with her.  Some of what you mention about the confrontation between her and Liz, too, I'd really have loved to see some of those reactions.  Robservations was obviously a big help, but a couple of those moments are really good.

SPOILER

I agree with your comments about Cassandra's reaction to Liz.  It never made sense to me, either.  She doesn't seem to be any threat to her plans, and as you say, there's the Naomi resemblance, so I could never figure out why she had it in for her.  It seemed to be plain meanness.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 07:56:58 AM »
Mother of God, where did they find Cassandra's wig?  And have they never heard of styling it?

Hee hee!!  I can't get over how shiny it is!  I hope no one tried to smoke around it.

This is the first of Cassandra's outfits that would pass any safety standards for night time visibility.  While I would personally not be caught dead in something that um, bright, I have to say, I like these on Cassandra.  Maybe it's the wig, but they generally (note the generally, because there are definite exceptions ;) ) flatter her.

I can't believe I never noticed before that the coat has blue stripes.  I know Gothick hates it but I like the cape look, and I think it's the black hair too that makes the bright colors work.

As for Cassandra's peignoir . . . okay, I admit my first thought was that the color could be called "Pepto Pink," but it got better under different lighting.

ROFL!

But (exhaling), strangely enough, I enjoy watching Cassandra.  I think it's because the character is such a mix of cruelty and incompetence.  She waffles between focused revenge and "I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll give it the old college try".  Her clothes are fun and she's just a hoot and a half.  So welcome, Ms Parker to your stint as the second Mrs. Collins.

It's a pity that LP doesn't remember this role.  I'd much rather watch Cassandra (or Cassangelique, as Nicky calls her) than Catherine Harridge any day.

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2002, 10:27:50 AM »
Liz's dress was more my speed.  Her corsage was rather large though.  And eek, the cartoon makeup is back.

Luciaphil, I can see what you mean regarding Liz's makeup. I noticed it myself yesterday while she was conversing with Cassandra. What a far cry from Naomi's lovely porcelain face make-up.

Mother of God, where did they find Cassandra's wig?

I wonder why they didn't get her a more attractive,up to date wig? Most of the young women on the show wore their hair long and straight, so why not have her wear something more natural looking like that?

Cassandra's appearance.  After watching Vicki freak out every blessed time someone from her trip down memory lane just shows up and stands there, you would think she'd pull a hysterical screaming jag upon seeing Angelique.

You know, I found that strange myself! Vicky made such a fuss over everyone else she encountered. Perhaps, she used her head this time, knowing very well what would happen to her if she dared to blurt out "Your Angelique!!"

Curious about something.  Always have been.  Cassandra does react/use to certain characters because of their resemblances to people that she knew (Maggie, Tony, Roger, etc.), but Liz is the spitting image of Naomi--a woman who was genuinely kind to her.  Why then is she so hostile from day one?  I agree with the poster on the current topics board, bad tactical move on Cassandra's part.

Another good question. Of all the people from the past, Naomi was the most kindest who accepted her and didn't try to stop her marriage to Barnabas. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe Roger had warned Cassandra beforehand about his sister's reaction to their marriage. Or, perhaps, Cassandra/Angelique, being the witch she is, already knew how'd she react.  Good points Luciaphil. :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2002, 08:45:31 PM »
I worry about Cassandra playing with fire around that flammable hair.  Wouldn't it be funny if boom!!! :o  Oh well that would change the whole story.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 09:47:03 PM »
Thanks for the wonderful notes on two of my favorite DS episodes, Luciaphil.  Even if the writing is uneven, the introduction of Cassandra is so beautifully played.  I think the Liz scenes are particularly well done, and I also LOVE that first little scene between Cass and Julia. So much subtext there.  Even though Lara Parker has complained that she found Grayson intimidating, some of her best work on the series was done in her scenes with Grayson.

I do t hink the wig improves in subsequent episodes.  I don't find the wig inappropriate, actually; something about Cassandra's personality comes across as "big hair girl."  I'm sure others disagree, but I see that as working well with the clothes and the general look.  And believe it or not, people still had hairstyles like that back in 1968.  Especially young women who came from wealthier, more conservative backgrounds (Cassandra's cover story is that she's from a good Main Line Philadelphia family, isn't it?).  

In case people are confused--Cassandra's wig is supposed to be her real hair.  I know it seems mighty implausible but we all do realize how far DS used to push that "suspension of disbelief" stuff, don't we?

Do please carry on, Luciaphil darling.  I can't wait to see your comments on the start-up of the Duh-REAM Curse!

Steve

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2002, 02:03:21 AM »
Especially young women who came from wealthier, more conservative backgrounds (Cassandra's cover story is that she's from a good Main Line Philadelphia family, isn't it?).  

I don't think her background is ever specified.  She tells Barnabas that she's from New York, that she went to graduate school in California.  She tells Liz that she's never had any money.  

Nicholas when he does show up, will claim to be a "citizen of the world" so I don't think we get much data from there either.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga