Author Topic: "Kitty" Cassandra  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"Kitty" Cassandra
« on: May 10, 2002, 02:15:36 AM »
I know I said I wouldn't be posting here for a while, but I'm just going to sneak in for a minute.  After all, it's not every day that Cassandra Collins arrives on the scene!

And what an entrance (and impression) Lara Parker makes as Cassandra!  I vaguely remember finding her entrance thrilling in my childhood viewing -- though I was too little to realize (until another kid pointed it out) that this scary new lady was really Angelique.

Maybe that isn't as unobservant as it might sound, because what I notice now are some subtle changes that Lara Parker gives Cassandra, differentiating her ever so slightly from Angelique.  

Many of us have highly praised Nancy Barrett's versatility in creating a host of different characters during the course of the show, but I think we may have somewhat overlooked Ms. Parker's abilities in this respect.  Her role as an actress on the series was more limited than Ms. Barrett's since the only character she played besides Angelique (and Angelique alter-egos) was the heroine (Catherine) in 1941 PT.  If her Cassandra is any indication, Ms. Parker had more potential for creating different characters than she was able to realize on the show.

Specifically, I'm thinking of her mannerisms as Cassandra.  Cassandra seems to have an even more single-mindedly evil streak than Angelique, if that's possible.  There's an intensity about her that surpasses Angelique, a conniving manner that ripples barely beneath the surface at every moment.  Her movements are catlike.  In her scene with Elizabeth, she seemed like a tigress eyeing her prey and barely restraining herself from pouncing.

LP's feline mannerisms remind me of another actress I admire, Ann-Margret, who has subtly mimicked feline movement in her mannerisms in several of her more predatory roles (and I'm not talking about "Kitten With a Whip")!.

Even Joan Bennett seemed unnerved playing under LP's relentless focus, as the veteran actress fumbled repeatedly for lines.

Grrrrrrr ...  Or should that be "Meow"?

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: "Kitty" Cassandra
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 02:32:55 AM »
I know I said I wouldn't be posting here for a while, but I'm just going to sneak in for a minute.  After all, it's not every day that Cassandra Collins arrives on the scene!

And what an entrance (and impression) Lara Parker makes as Cassandra!  I vaguely remember finding her entrance thrilling in my childhood viewing -- though I was too little to realize (until another kid pointed it out) that this scary new lady was really Angelique.

Maybe that isn't as unobservant as it might sound, because what I notice now are some subtle changes that Lara Parker gives Cassandra, differentiating her ever so slightly from Angelique.  

Many of us have highly praised Nancy Barrett's versatility in creating a host of different characters during the course of the show, but I think we may have somewhat overlooked Ms. Parker's abilities in this respect.  Her role as an actress on the series was more limited than Ms. Barrett's since the only character she played besides Angelique (and Angelique alter-egos) was the heroine (Catherine) in 1941 PT.  If her Cassandra is any indication, Ms. Parker had more potential for creating different characters than she was able to realize on the show.

I agree Vlad... Lara Parker was the best actress in the Series!

It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 03:02:12 AM »
-- though I was too little to realize (until another kid pointed it out) that this scary new lady was really Angelique.

Cassandra seems to have an even more single-mindedly evil streak than Angelique, if that's possible.  There's an intensity about her that surpasses Angelique, a conniving manner that ripples barely beneath the surface at every moment.  Her movements are catlike.  In her scene with Elizabeth, she seemed like a tigress eyeing her prey and barely restraining herself from pouncing.

Well, you seem to have been in keeping with the characters in Collinswood! Though, in fairness, it is the ones who have only seen the portrait that don't recognize Angie. And it would be harder to be sure if you hadn't met her face to face.

I agree that the way she ripped into Liz was incredible, especially after her sweety sweet entrance. And for what? Surely, Liz could have been an ally if she had only handled it differently!

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2002, 08:46:17 AM »

I agree Vlad... Lara Parker was the best actress in the Series!

Same goes for me Vam!! :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2002, 04:22:38 PM »
She does seem meaner than Angelique if that is possible!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 10:02:52 PM »
She does seem meaner than Angelique if that is possible!

jennifer

I think she IS meaner, Jennifer.  At this point, her love for Barnabas is nowhere in evidence.  Her only motivation is getting revenge, and making Barnabas suffer as much as possible.

You know, I had forgotten how much I had enjoyed Lara Parker's portrayal of Cassandra.  For me,  it is definately one of the high points of the 1968 storyline.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2002, 12:02:25 AM »
Vlad - excellent observations. I agree there is a subtle difference between "Cassandra" and Angelique.

For one thing, at this point in the history/story, Angie's powers seems to have increased considerably. I don't know if it's because she was "Killed" then brought back to life (does she become more powerful every time she's resurrected? If you follow her future resurrections, this does seem to be the case.) Notice how easily she bewitched Dr. Lang, without use of any personal objects or voodoo dolls. She almost killed him with nothing more than the power of suggestion!

For another thing, Angelique arrived in the 1795 household as a servant and had to maintain that position in public. This time around she enters the household as a member of it, albeit a new one. This gives her more dignity and importance in that house, and she apparently feels every bit of it!

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2002, 12:03:50 AM »
Agree with the review of LP's abilities - something that seeing the show over and over really lets ya absorb more and more things like that, and understand what happens after such stuff better, too.  I didn't appreciate her [or Nancy B either] fully till the last time or two thru!

(and I'm not talking about "Kitten With a Whip")!.
Grrrrrrr ...  Or should that be "Meow"?

But Oh, could we PLEASE talk about 'Kitten with a Whip'! :P

Roy Orbison would say 'Rrrroooorww'
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2002, 02:23:28 AM »
Lara Parker is a very competent actress, but IMHO, I don't think she's in the same class as Nancy Barrett.  I agree that it's a tricky comparison, but even if you just take one of Barrett's characters--Carolyn, you can see it.  Barrett just brings so much subtlety and shading to her characterizations that isn't there with Parker's.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2002, 09:43:45 AM »
Vlad - excellent observations. I agree there is a subtle difference between "Cassandra" and Angelique.

For one thing, at this point in the history/story, Angie's powers seems to have increased considerably. I don't know if it's because she was "Killed" then brought back to life (does she become more powerful every time she's resurrected? If you follow her future resurrections, this does seem to be the case.) Notice how easily she bewitched Dr. Lang, without use of any personal objects or voodoo dolls. She almost killed him with nothing more than the power of suggestion!

I agree Chris, she definetely seems more powerful now than before. Evidently though, she going to have to be in this time frame. When she was a servant in 1795, she remained pretty much in the backround amongst the other household members, therefore, no one suspected a thing about her so she could pretty much do whatever she pleased. This time around, it's not that easy for her as she already has made a few enemies right from the start. Vicky,Barnabas,Julia and even Dr.Lang know about her, with Liz not too far behind, so she knows she has to be more evil now than ever. Perhaps she thought that "black wig" would fool them all! ;)

"Calamity Jane"