Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0295  (Read 1932 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0295
« on: May 11, 2007, 07:21:24 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0295
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 02:27:29 AM »
That dress of Vicky's has got to go.  In black and white it was bearable.  In color it is hideous.  And Julia's wig looks worse in color, too.  But I liked her scarf.

Julia's done it now.  Before, if the vampire story had come out, she could have conceivably gotten away with telling Dave Woodard that she had been hoping to get Barnabas's side of the story so she could judge how much of what Maggie said was fantasy and how much had really happened.  Now she's an accomplice to Barnabas, and the Nobel Prize for medicine in her future is vanishing in favor of a prison sentence.  But I'm sure she still thinks she can have her cake and eat it too.

How long did it take Maggie and Sarah to get from Windcliffe to Collinsport?  Somehow you'd think that word would get through to Dr. Woodard, who would tell Julia, that Maggie was missing.  But (here comes a cheap shot) maybe escaped patients were such a common occurrence at Windcliff that nobody worried about them much.

The scene in the drawing room between Barnabas and Julia is one of my favorites in the series.  Bravo to whoever decided to have Julia walk around behind the furniture to draw it out.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 02:38:39 AM »
I wanted Barnabas to get up, first thing, ignoring Maggie, and do the speech on the balcony he did for Dr. Lang, later...  I'd forgotten what the colors were like.... this is amazing....!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 03:34:58 PM »
But maybe Barnabas couldn't see the colors.  Maybe vampires see only in black and white.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 07:24:18 PM »
That dress of Vicky's has got to go.  In black and white it was bearable.  In color it is hideous.

Gee, ya think?  ;)

But seriously, you're definitely not alone in lamenting that dress:
...the absolute worst has to be the red one with the blue trim...

The dress does have one thing going for it, though - at least it has sleeves.  ;D

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 12:05:10 AM »
The dress was hidious. Now was it me or is it just my color contract did everyting look green , or have a green tint. I will have to check my contrast.

Of course Julia comes to save the day, and we hear the story about the ugly medalian. Is this the first time that we saw it??   Before I thought that she used the flashlight.

Why is it that Barnabas's solution to everyting in to kill someone. Doesn't he worry about the bodies turning up. I mean nobody missed Jason.  The would miss Maggie, Willie and Julia.

Good Show.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 06:30:38 PM »
Now was it me or is it just my color contract did everyting look green , or have a green tint.

It's not just you. Everything is a bit off in these early color shows because they were learning on the job how to use the new color cameras.

I've always found it ironic that this show was shot in color, yet originally aired in B&W - but the first show that was aired in color (Ep #296) is now only available in B&W kinescope.  :-

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 05:16:47 PM »
I guess I am the only viewer who thinks Vicki looks charming in the red dress with the blue trim.

As regards Maggie and Sarah's escape from Wyndcliffe, there were scenes in the original script for this show that had Maggie hitching a ride with a truck driver.  The script for the deleted scenes was including in a 1980s fan publication, The Introduction of Barnabas, published I believe by Kathy Resch/TWDS.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 05:26:39 PM »
It's less tiring on the nerves to assume without thinking that every place and building in DS is within easy walking distance of all the others.   I just figured Windcliffe was a block away from the Blue Whale or something.    That's almost true.   I find I'm zoning out, and forgetting where they said everything was.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 01:20:29 AM »
gothick,

you are not alone.i'm quite fond of the red and blue dress as well.in fact when vicki first appears in it perhaps because of it's extremely child-like shape(and the ever present bow)she reminded me of a life-sized "doll".

however my favorite vicki outfit has to be the little mustard colored suit(it's shockingly immodest!)she wears to begin her journey back to the year 1795.pitty abigail had it burned.

one thing that really made me laugh was when vicki disappears and maggie moves into collinwood she unpacks "her" things and what does she pull out of the suitcase but the red and blue dress. ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 03:20:23 AM »
How about when Julia's striped sweater appears in the childresns closet?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 04:45:37 AM »
Clothing is mass-produced you know.     They probably both saw it at the Shelbyville K-Mart and thought it was distinctive. 

It looks my least favorite Emma Peel costume.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 05:09:42 AM »
true magnus,

but the dress in question is very,very,very specific to vicki.it has come up on the board on countless occasions over the years.

so it's just funny that they ever thought that they could get away with passing this super-particular garment off on another character.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 07:10:07 PM »
Michael, I'm so pleased that you also appreciate the red and blue dress.

In a way, I think it sums up Vicki's character in 1967 more than any other piece of apparel.  Even if it is NOT sleeveless...

Now, the dress that piques my ire is that ghastly charcoal-plaid thing with the naff bow sewn to the front that poor Julia gets stuck stumbling around in during the otherwise wonderful Tom Jennings storyette.

I was truly appalled when they brought that thing back in one of the Summer '70 episodes.  That, and that HIDEOUS orange tweed thing!  Ack!

but, I'm not bitter...

Steve