Author Topic: Angelique's return  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Angelique's return
« on: May 10, 2002, 01:29:23 AM »
What is the explanation for the resurrection of Angelique, posing as Cassandra? Is she a ghost, or a real person? Julia told Vicki that Cassandra is flesh and blood - she just bandaged her! Of course, Angelique materialized in the courtroom in 1796 to testify in the trial after being strangled to death by Barnabas and buried by Ben - was she already reconstituted at that point, or was she a ghost with the ability to appear alive - is she might be now?

"Cassandra" says she would never have known Barnabas escaped from his curse if Victoria hadn't traveled into the past, and Barnabas accuses her of "following" Victoria into the future. Did she do so as a ghost, then somehow manage to rematerialize/reconstitute herself as a person once there?

How does one explain the contradiction of "Cassandra" having been a college student in Rockport and knowing Professor Stokes if she has just recently arrived in the present day?

Thoughts? Speculations? Ideas?

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Angelique's return
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 02:12:20 AM »
What is the explanation for the resurrection of Angelique, posing as Cassandra?

Thoughts? Speculations? Ideas?

Spoiler....
Perhaps the question is did Angelique really die in 1795?
However what was she doing in hell when Quentin and Evan Handley conjured her up in 1897? We know she did die in 1840RT at the hand of Lamar Trask.  There has always been mystic surrounding this character which definitly makes her far from boring. Do we really want to know the harden facts? It is part of the charm of the Series!

It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 02:27:59 AM »
She did die in 1795, and she is not a ghost.

In one of yesterday's episodes Julia told Vicki that if Cassandra is Angelique, she's not a ghost -- she's flesh and blood.

I believe Angelique physically resurrects, though she has the ability to slightly alter her appearance (e.g., her hair).*

At a later point in the series, Angelique taunts the imprisoned Victoria with the fact that she is flesh and blood.  The scene parodies one of the resurrection scenes of Jesus recounted in the gospels, right down to the specific language.

We don't know just when she resurrected herself (through Satan's power) as Cassandra, but it may have been fairly recently, allowing enough time for her to scope out the current Collins family before springing her plan ...

*And physical mannerisms -- see my "Kitty Cassandra" post.  Altering one's physical mannerisms is NOT an easy thing for anyone (other than a trained actor) to do.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2002, 02:48:32 AM »
I thought it odd yesterday, to be noticing her mouth all of a sudden. I didn't remember her having a bucky beaver look before at all, it seemed distinct yesterday. Maybe she was just holding it differently, to accentuate the change in the role.

As for trying to follow all of the "deaths" "resurrections" and "beginnings" of Angelique, I gave that up a long time ago. She was child in Martinique, with a mother there, she was a human in New England long before that (what year was it? I forget), she was dead, she wasn't. Ahhhh fooey with it. I just enjoy watching her! [spin]
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2002, 04:10:16 AM »

Spoiler....

Good question! Perhaps not. At one point Barnabas reveals that the only way to destroy a witch is by fire. Since he strangled her in 1795, maybe she didn't die . . . enough.

However what was she doing in hell when Quentin and Evan Handley conjured her up in 1897?

Because her master punishes her by sending her back to 1795 after she squeals on Nicholas, although he lifts her vampire curse. Barnabas encounters her there again when he goes back to save Vicki in 1796 . . . and THIS time Ben Stokes destroys her by fire. So she's really dead . . . until Evan and Quentin conjure her back from fire in 1897.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 04:22:06 AM »

As for trying to follow all of the "deaths" "resurrections" and "beginnings" of Angelique, I gave that up a long time ago. She was child in Martinique, with a mother there, she was a human in New England long before that (what year was it? I forget), she was dead, she wasn't. Ahhhh fooey with it. I just enjoy watching her! [spin]

Here's my take:

She was born as Miranda Duvall in the 1600's; she squeals on Judah Zachary and goes into hiding, taking on a new identity. She turns up in Martinique in the 1700's and plants herself into the DuPres household with the expectation of one day returning to Collinsport via their relationship w/the Collins family. She has simply cast a spell on Natalie to make her believe she has known her all her life.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2002, 04:37:18 AM »

Good question! Perhaps not. At one point Barnabas reveals that the only way to destroy a witch is by fire. Since he strangled her in 1795, maybe she didn't die . . . enough.
Because her master punishes her by sending her back to 1795 after she squeals on Nicholas, although he lifts her vampire curse. Barnabas encounters her there again when he goes back to save Vicki in 1796 . . . and THIS time Ben Stokes destroys her by fire. So she's really dead . . . until Evan and Quentin conjure her back from fire in 1897.

Good theory Chris_2....
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2002, 07:43:10 AM »

Spoiler....
However what was she doing in hell when Quentin and Evan Handley conjured her up in 1897? We know she did die in 1840RT at the hand of Lamar Trask.  There has always been mystic surrounding this character which definitly makes her far from boring. Do we really want to know the harden facts? It is part of the charm of the Series!

I'm with you Vam if i want facts i'll go to work that is the charm of the show!!!!!!!

jrennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2002, 08:31:49 AM »

Me too Kuanyin! Nothing is ever boring with her around! ;)
My theory to this is simple: She's a witch, and a very powerful one at that. She can do practically anything she wants, as long as "her master" allows her to do it. ;)
"Calamity Jane"