Author Topic: Episode #0291  (Read 4227 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #0291
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 05:41:44 PM »
"...burp and fart and blow their noses in the kitchen towels."

Do vampires get Gas, now that would be interesting. Would it be death warmed over.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
What you're describing sounds like an outhouse to me.

I'll certainly grant that it may sound like it - but it's not. And getting any deeper into this topic is also way OT for the forum and especially for this particular board. So, as I said, Google is an excellent resource in explaining what it is that I'm talking about - and I know this because I used it to do my own research before I made my initial post last night. Anyone who might be interested in knowing more info should probably do the same.  :)

Also, keep in mind that, as with many things on DS, we're not necessarily limited to the way things actually were in colonial America. If it existed somewhere in the world at the time, if it was in any way feasible, and if enough money could have made it possible to exist in a Collins household, then the Collinses *could* have had it even if no one else around them did. That's simply one of the great advantages of being a Collins (and particularly being a Collins running a shipping business).  ;D

How on earth is talking about the possibility of there being an outhouse in the Old House off topic? It came up in the captions, to start with. Why are outhouses off topic for this board, when the characters you are working with surely used them on a daily basis? Besides, you were the one who, while saying that everyone who *didn't* think that there was a toilet in the OH from day one in 1767 was "guilty" (of being wrong, one presumes), brought up all those dates when toilets were invented and developed. So I was just following your lead in quoting historical facts, but am now wondering why it feels very much like no one is allowed to disagree with you.

As for Google as an excellent resource, sure, it's a great place to start on this kind of research, however, I based my findings on an even more excellent and factual resource, that is, what I read in published non-fiction history books. I've been reading those for years, so I feel pretty confident that my conclusions about the existance or non-existance of a toilet in the OH are accurate.

Yeah, okay, in a perfect, romantic Dark Shadows world, they could have had an indoor toilet. I just prefer to be more realistic about it.

Regards,

MaineGirl

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 10:37:50 PM »
How on earth is talking about the possibility of there being an outhouse in the Old House off topic?

It's discussing how the waste is disposed of that's OT for any boards on the forum.

It came up in the captions, to start with. Why are outhouses off topic for this board, when the characters you are working with surely used them on a daily basis?

This board is for captions and not for discussion - at least not discussion that goes beyond a few posts and/or discussion of tangential topics that don't relate specifically to a particular caption. This is not a new policy as the issue has come up in several topics on these Caption This! boards whenever a discussion has gone on too long or veered off in OT directions. And, yes, it was totally my fault for introducing a discussion in this topic that quite simply could and has taken on a life of its own. I regretted if almost instantly because I feared what might happen. But believe me, I won't ever do that again. I'll know enough to start a new topic elsewhere and reference the post on these boards.

it feels very much like no one is allowed to disagree with you.

I'm very sorry if it feels that way. But as a review of many forum topics will clearly attest, many members have disagreed with me on several occasions and I've not stifled that debate. (In fact, I've not only welcomed and encouraged it whenever it has appeared in the proper venue on the forum, I've gotten off on it as much as the other parties have. Just ask Raineypark, for one.  ;D) And I've also been the first to concede many points if not the entire discussion altogether whenever stronger evidence has been presented by someone with an opposing opinion to my own. The situation here is truly that this is not the board to have most of this discussion and that many of the points addressed here are OT for the forum in general. It's quite honestly not about who's right and who's wrong (especially when a good deal of what I've said has been in the way of jokes about how a rich, powerful family can have pretty much anything they want  :D).

As for Google as an excellent resource, sure, it's a great place to start on this kind of research, however, I based my findings on an even more excellent and factual resource, that is, what I read in published non-fiction history books.

To each their own.  ;)

Yeah, okay, in a perfect, romantic Dark Shadows world, they could have had an indoor toilet. I just prefer to be more realistic about it.

And that is more than your prerogative. But I would remind that rarely does reality enter the DS world.  [wink2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 12:00:16 AM »
Will we never know what the straight poop on this issue is?    (I am enjoying making masses of people groan in frustration.)
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 12:45:52 AM »
(I am enjoying making masses of people groan in frustration.)

But that's one of the things you do best, Magnus.  ;) And I for one appreciate a good sense of humor - even if it makes me groan occasionally.  :D

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 04:28:38 AM »
(I am enjoying making masses of people groan in frustration.)

But that's one of the things you do best, Magnus.  ;) And I for one appreciate a good sense of humor - even if it makes me groan occasionally.  :D

Thanks, but everyone definitely had an apology coming for that one.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 01:08:03 PM »
How on earth is talking about the possibility of there being an outhouse in the Old House off topic? It came up in the captions, to start with. Why are outhouses off topic for this board, when the characters you are working with surely used them on a daily basis? Besides, you were the one who, while saying that everyone who *didn't* think that there was a toilet in the OH from day one in 1767 was "guilty" (of being wrong, one presumes), brought up all those dates when toilets were invented and developed. So I was just following your lead in quoting historical facts, but am now wondering why it feels very much like no one is allowed to disagree with you.

As for Google as an excellent resource, sure, it's a great place to start on this kind of research, however, I based my findings on an even more excellent and factual resource, that is, what I read in published non-fiction history books. I've been reading those for years, so I feel pretty confident that my conclusions about the existance or non-existance of a toilet in the OH are accurate.

This subject fascinates the sh*t out of me. It doesn't belong in Caption This, so move it to Current Talk.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 04:28:40 PM »
(In fact, I've not only welcomed and encouraged it whenever it has appeared in the proper venue on the forum, I've gotten off on it as much as the other parties have. Just ask Raineypark, for one.  ;D)

Oh dear goddess yes. He was very well educated in the fine art of debate. The man will discuss and debate until the cows come home. So be damned sure you know what you're talking about or he'll wipe the floor with you.  I know..... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 04:33:40 PM »
I have it on good authority that they didn't have toilet paper in 1795, and had to use indentured servants instead.    No wonder Ben was so happy when Joshua turned into a  SPOILER!!!!  LOOK OUT!!!!!  cat.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 04:38:23 PM »
he'll wipe the floor with you

Thanks - I think.  :-   ;)  But don't be modest because you can more than hold your own.  :D  In fact, I've conceded to you or at least called a draw more than a few times already.

Now please, enough of all this mutual backpatting, apologizing, "poop" joking, and debating - lets get back to the business of captioning in this topic.  :)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 06:06:20 PM »
"Willie didn't like the idea that there was going to be a female in the house on a regular basis because it meant he and Barnabas could no longer...crack jokes about tweed suits."

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 09:14:02 PM »
Make obscene shadow puppets on the walls of Josette's room
Fade Away and Radiate