Author Topic: whats with this board  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Anubis

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
whats with this board
« on: May 09, 2002, 10:48:48 PM »
why does almost everyone on this board like to make fun of this show. that seems why every one post hear. and your suppost to be fans of the show. with friends like you dark shadows doesn't need ememys. it seems to me all measage boards no matter the subject are negagive.people like to knock and be wise guys. to bad there will never be a new dark shadows this board needs a new boost.

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: whats with this board
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2002, 11:59:58 PM »
why dose almost everyone on this board like to make fun of this show.that seems why every one post hear.and your suppost to be fans of the show.with friends like you dark shadows dose`nt need ememys.it seems to me all measage boards no matter the subject are negagive.people like to knock and be wise guys.to bad there will never be a new dark shadows this board needs a new boost.

Any fun making made on this board is taken light heartedly by most.  This board is one of the best DS Boards on the net.  This message board is run by two of the nicest Moderators/Administrators that can be found.  Both MidNight and the Mysterious Benefactor are always here for us.

Not everyone sees a storyline or a charactor in the same light.  They have a right to voice how they feel or voice what they would or would not want to see on DS.

None of this means that they don't like Dark Shadows.  Quite the opposite.  I haven't seen DS fans as dedicated to the show as the members of this board are.  That is including myself.

I'm sorry that you found members of this boared making fun of DS.  I think if you give it a little more time you will find that there are a lot of wonderful people here and they always welcome contributions from new members.
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 12:12:42 AM »
Teasing and joking they say is the HIGHEST form of flattery! ;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2002, 12:37:59 AM »
why dose almost everyone on this board like to make fun of this show.that seems why every one post hear.and your suppost to be fans of the show.with friends like you dark shadows dose`nt need ememys.it seems to me all measage boards no matter the subject are negagive.people like to knock and be wise guys.to bad there will never be a new dark shadows this board needs a new boost.

Mr. Evans,

These lovely people who gather within this place to discuss my families saga are not its enemies at all... every post is made in terms of endearment, the Collins' of Collinsport would be very sad if they could not giggle at themselves every now and then, attempt to read each post for what it is truely meant to be... I believe this is refered to as tongue in cheek... although I do not understand why.   :)
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2002, 01:16:14 AM »

I'm sorry you feel that way.  My acerbic pen to the contrary, I like DS.  If I didn't, I can assure you that I would never spend the time following the show, commenting on it, and writing fanfic.  

There are all kinds of people on these boards, some are more critical than others, but the commonality is that we enjoy DS.  

Welcome

Luciaphil

"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 02:37:31 AM »
I may be wrong, it wouldn't be a first, but my guess is that you are a new fan? You really go through stages with the DS experience. Everytime I watch the series through, (this is the first time through for the WHOLE series for me, but I have seen what we are watching now at least 3 times) I see something different and experience it a different way.

Believe me, it takes a lot of love to watch a show when you are in junior high, rediscover it as an adult and start watching it again over and over. Since we are mostly regulars here, it would be kind of boring to only say "Great show!" Though actually, we do say those things or how pretty someone looked today. You will hear it all though, if someone else doesn't agree.

And, a big part of the appeal of DS is that it was rushed through, mistakes and all. I don't think it an insult to say that it was frequently cheesy, that's a fact. That's what we love! We could watch reruns of "Murder She Wrote" if we wanted a more professional production.  So, please, don't be put off by our gleeful appreciation of what we love to "hate" about Dark Shadows!

[skull] [ghost] [fangs] [liteye] [spidr]
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2002, 06:59:40 PM »
Thanks for the replys you have to compare the show to other soaps that were on at that time. dark shadows had a higher budget then the other soaps. that was one of the reasons it was canceled. it caused more too produse then the other shows. most soaps can have low ratings and still last for many years. unlike night time shows. i still think this board needs a new dark shadows. if you saw a star trek board i don't think they would be making fun of it as much as they do on this board. that's because star trek has had a lot new over the years. while the only thing new for ds was the brief 1991 show.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2002, 09:32:08 PM »
I love Dark Shadows with all of it's flaws! This is a fun board ! we agree/disagree  and are still talking about it 30 years later! it was one of my favorite memories of my teenage years. nothing is perfect and i do believe that we all have a lotta fun here. Hope you can enjoy it too
We don't mean to offend but most of us agree to disagree  maybe you can find a more serious place but this is the most enjoyable place to come on the net to discuss the show!

take care and welcome
jennifer

also i know Trekies who make fun of that show!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2002, 10:11:19 PM »
Unlike Vicki I think I understand...when I first plunged into DS on the Internet several years back I can remember thinking people were sometimes stepping on my dearly held childhood memories.  After awhile I realized it was all in good fun.  Be it Trekie or DS fan I really wouldn't want to know anyone who took any kind of television program completely seriously at all times. I'm sure the actors enjoyed the show when they were doing it and took it seriously as an acting job but they seem to have some hilarious memories of it as well.  

As for me - I loved DS then and maybe even more now.  But I have to tell you along with the great historical information, current events announcements, and miscellaneous stuff one of the things that keeps me coming back to this great board and following it all over the Internet with the dedication of a Dead Head is the light hearted witty and many times downright hilarious remarks you'll find here.  Great stuff and great people.  I hope you'll stay with us long enough to see what I mean sam evans.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2002, 02:08:26 AM »
I too, would love to see a new DS. It is one of my regrets that I allowed my scifi-hating XH to not let me see more than a couple of the revival episodes.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton