Author Topic: Caroline's hair ??????  (Read 1777 times)

Offline elizabeth

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Caroline's hair ??????
« on: May 09, 2002, 09:41:54 PM »
As the styles changed so did Caroline's hair.  Mostly I like the more casual , natural look of the late 60's early 70's.  But in Carolines case I think she looked much better with that early 60's bouffonty flip and lots of make up.  Seems the more natural hair and make up  did not suit her.   :(

In the 17th century every one had a becoming hair do, except Caroline who had those curls sticking out on the side of her head.  Was she suppose to look nuts or what?    ?!?  ?!?  Just wondering.      J
I must go to my room and rest.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Re: Caroline's hair ??????
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 12:30:38 AM »
I loved her hair in the past and in the present until sometime in 1968 when she changed her hair to the style she has in HODS and NODS. I didn't find it as pretty as the one she had in the early days and as Millicent. That's just my opinion  ;)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 09:02:31 AM »
I loved her hair in the past and in the present until sometime in 1968 when she changed her hair to the style she has in HODS and NODS. I didn't find it as pretty as the one she had in the early days and as Millicent. That's just my opinion  ;)

I agree VWR.  It seems to me that she also had darkened her hair somewhat later on in the series, as well as in the movies. I liked the lighter shade of blonde she is wearing now in the show.
As for Millicent, I thought her curls looked very nice in the beginning. It wasn't until after she began to have all those troubles with Nathan Forbes, did her hair start to look unkept & wild. This was of course, fitting for her character then.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2002, 04:19:51 PM »

I agree VWR.  It seems to me that she also had darkened her hair somewhat later on in the series, as well as in the movies. I liked the lighter shade of blonde she is wearing now in the show.
As for Millicent, I thought her curls looked very nice in the beginning. It wasn't until after she began to have all those troubles with Nathan Forbes, did her hair start to look unkept & wild. This was of course, fitting for her character then.

i loved her hair now and earlier one of the Breck woman
do they still make that shampoo?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2002, 09:39:29 PM »
First of all - I would like to sign is as a great fan of Caroline's hair as it grew longer and longer.  Since I was a pre and early teen during this time and had brown wavy short/medium hair I naturally lusted to have long, straight blond hair with a purple passion.  Back in 1968 - 71 I think I really believed that your hair could never be too long or too blond. Also, I do think they used those bouncy bouncy curls to visually define Milicent's progression from dingy to nutzy. [silly]

i loved her hair now and earlier one of the Breck woman
do they still make that shampoo?

jennifer

You started me wondering about the Breck thing jennifer and so I did a little search on the Internet. I came up with a page called yesteryear.com.  Within the site they have a thing called the popodeia where I read this http://www.yesteryear.com/popopedia/shows/fashion/fa1135.php

"For over forty years, the Breck girls smiled at you from the bottle in shower, but sadly, their visages washed away by the end of the 70's. Brooke Shields, Cheryl Tiegs, Cybill Shepherd, Jaclyn Smith, Christie Brinkley and Kim Bassinger can all claim honor of being the last lot of Breck girls before designer shampoos claimed Breck's share of the market."

So, I guess the shampoo went the way of clackers and those flower stickers that came inside bags of potato chips. (Note the one-degree of DS separation in that little blurb - Jaclyn Smith the former Mrs. Roger Davis - it WOULD be about hair wouldn't it!)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline elizabeth

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 10:10:46 PM »
First of all - I would like to sign is as a great fan of Caroline's hair as it grew longer and longer.  Since I was a pre and early teen during this time and had brown wavy short/medium hair I naturally lusted to have long, straight blond hair with a purple passion.  Back in 1968 - 71 I think I really believed that your hair could never be too long or too blond. Also, I do think they used those bouncy bouncy curls to visually define Milicent's progression from dingy to nutzy. [silly]

I had started to let my hair grow in  63/64 ,  by 68 it was pretty long.  Let it grow 10 years.   I use to think it was sooooooooo beautiful.  My mom always screamed "get that hair out of your face".   Now when I look at pictures of myself, I looked like a Mop! :(  I do enjoy looking at the hair styles and clothes on DS.  But I do not remember anyone wearing gloves all the time like Julia often does.  We use to call Elizabeths hair style "Grecia Curls".   At the time I though of it as old ladies hair now I think she looks really terrific ;).
I must go to my room and rest.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2002, 11:00:44 PM »

You started me wondering about the Breck thing jennifer and so I did a little search on the Internet. I came up with a page called yesteryear.com.  Within the site they have a thing called the popodeia where I read this http://www.yesteryear.com/popopedia/shows/fashion/fa1135.php

"For over forty years, the Breck girls smiled at you from the bottle in shower, but sadly, their visages washed away by the end of the 70’s. Brooke Shields, Cheryl Tiegs, Cybill Shepherd, Jaclyn Smith, Christie Brinkley and Kim Bassinger can all claim honor of being the last lot of Breck girls before designer shampoos claimed Breck’s share of the market."

So, I guess the shampoo went the way of clackers and those flower stickers that came inside bags of potato chips. (Note the one-degree of DS separation in that little blurb - Jaclyn Smith the former Mrs. Roger Davis - it WOULD be about hair wouldn't it!)

Thanks for the great info CastleBee(you always get great info!)
I thought they probaly stopped making it since i haven't seen it in years!I can see why we used it with that line up!
wonder if Roger Davis used Breck on his hair!LOL

jennifer
have to say forget Kevin Bacon a lot of things come back to DS

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2002, 12:32:00 AM »
I looooove Carolyn's hair. I loved it when it was all bouncy and it flipped out....and she goes 2 Liz, "Mother, does my hair look okay?" and Liz, rolling her eyes  ::), answers, "Oh Carolyn, darling, your hair is gorgeous.....if only I had such worries as you.."  ;D I thought it was hilarious! I like her hair now, too, though. I like it parted in like little pigtails in some episodes. It looks so cute. Carolyn looks like she's 15 or something. No way she's 21!  :o
I loved the change in Millicent's hair...first it was bouncy and like....UP, and then as things progressed with Nathan, it became more limp, and then the little black bows appeared, and it was just scraggly. HOW KEWL!!!!
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2002, 01:49:12 AM »
I love the way Carolyn is wearing her hair right now!  It looks so thick.  Reminds me of my hair!  At least when I was a teenager.  Mine was so thick and curly, I couldn't keep clips in my hair and never could get a comb through it.  Now I can comb it out, hair clips fall out ..... LOL  Ode to get old !!!!!!!

I have pics of me when I was little looking like Shirley Temple.  My hair curled like hers naturally just about with a little help.  Now it's more on the straight side but I still have wavey hair depending on how long I let it get.  

I once had hair down to my waist, but had to have it cut off.  I was getting really bad headaches and once I cut some of it off, the headaches left.  I miss having really long hair but I don't miss the time it takes to care for it.

I like Meggie, Carolyn and Vickies hair.  Reminds me of my beautiful hair days ............. LOL

"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2002, 03:17:07 AM »
I have to say I admired Carolyn's hair.  Growing up in the 60th's long straight hair was the thing.  Needless to say I have thick natural curly hair.  I tried to grow my hair when I was about 13.  Any of you roll your hair around juice cans to try to straighten it.  Let's just say the out come was not pretty.  The only person I know who ever liked my hair long was my older sister.  The reason is I looked awful and it made her look better. lol. My children were horrified by photo's of me with long hair, glasses, short skirt and boots.

I remember older woman telling me some day I would be so happy that my hair was curly.  I hated them for it.  
I guess the one bright thing is I don't have to pay to have my hair permed

I think it is funny writing about this tonight.  Just got a hair cut today.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2002, 03:38:06 AM »
Two Words

Dipity Dew.

I remember my sister putting that stuff on her hair to straighten it out. Once she put it on and went into my brothers room when he had his black light on, (we were groovin to somthin' cool like Amboy Dukes). We both died laughing as her whole head was glowing purple!

Apparently that stuff was very reactive.

I agree that Carolyn's hair was pretty in the early episode, but the nicest hair award would have to go to Vicki. What a beautiful mane!

B

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Thom

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2002, 06:14:14 AM »
Funny you guys are talking about Nancy barrett and Carolyn's blonde hair. In the very beginning of the series on ABC, Nancy appeared in an ad for either Breck or Alberto VO5 which was filmed at the New York Metropoliation Library. Nancy was seen descending the steps of the library flipping her hair.  I think it may have been for Breck but it was clearly Nancy. I remembered thinking how odd it was because one minute she was Carolyn, then she was out in New York flouncing her hair around. I recognized the building the commercial was filmed at right away.

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2002, 08:58:00 PM »
Thom ascribed:
Nancy was seen descending the steps of the library flipping her hair.  I think it may have been for Breck but it was clearly Nancy. I remembered thinking how odd it was because one minute she was Carolyn, then she was out in New York flouncing her hair around.

LMAO she was practicing early for Charlie's Angels....then imagine, Kate Jackson got the part ... heheheheh *giggles*  ;)  8)
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2002, 11:42:46 PM »
Funny you guys are talking about Nancy barrett and Carolyn's blonde hair. In the very beginning of the series on ABC, Nancy appeared in an ad for either Breck or Alberto VO5 which was filmed at the New York Metropoliation Library. Nancy was seen descending the steps of the library flipping her hair.  I think it may have been for Breck but it was clearly Nancy. I remembered thinking how odd it was because one minute she was Carolyn, then she was out in New York flouncing her hair around. I recognized the building the commercial was filmed at right away.

Always wanted to be a Breck girl but alas my hair is wavy & curly and looks like Cousin It when too long :o

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV