Author Topic: PLEASING PLOT  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASING PLOT
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2002, 05:14:55 AM »

1795--everything but the Vicki/Peter junk

Amen to that!

1841PT--I would rather clean my bathroom floor
Luciaphil

LOL!!
My guess is that there were a LOT of clean bathrooms during that run!  ;D

Karen #2
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Good, The Bad, and The...
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2002, 08:22:29 AM »
The first half of 1968 is one of my least favorite storylines of all.  IMHO, the only good to come out of the Adam & Eve/Dream Curse plot was the introduction of Professor Stokes and later Nicholas Blair.  The 1796 interlude was too brief for me to consider it an actual storyline.  Seeing the ghosts of Quentin and Beth was a lot of fun.  For one thing, it brought back traditional supernatural elements after the show had been overrun with mad science experiments and warlocks, and it was refreshing to see Henesy and Nickerson in their 'possessed' roles.  I always thought that possession allowed the child actors to break out of the more boring child character mold.

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed a troubling pattern with DS storylines: the sections that I think are among the best are inevitably followed by some of my least favorite stories.  For instance, the sublime 1795 storyline was followed by the (IMHO) mediocre Adam & Eve/Dream Curse, 1897 led to the Leviathans, atmospheric 1995 was succeeded by the dull 1970 haunting, and 1840 gave way to 1841PT.  Am I the only one to feel this way, or have others sensed it too?

ProfStokes  

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2002, 02:04:20 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed a troubling pattern with DS storylines: the sections that I think are among the best are inevitably followed by some of my least favorite stories.  For instance, the sublime 1795 storyline was followed by the (IMHO) mediocre Adam & Eve/Dream Curse, 1897 led to the Leviathans, atmospheric 1995 was succeeded by the dull 1970 haunting, and 1840 gave way to 1841PT.  Am I the only one to feel this way, or have others sensed it too?

I agree ProfStokes. My feeling is  that the writers were not necessarily experiencing a low (giving them the benefit of the doubt) but were unable to entirely deal with the absence of cast members at various times. The 1795, 1897, and 1840RT were much more exciting with many more sub-plots and interaction with characters. Those other storylines were not a good desert after the main course!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2002, 10:44:29 AM »
 Seeing the ghosts of Quentin and Beth was a lot of fun.  For one thing, it brought back traditional supernatural elements after the show had been overrun with mad science experiments and warlocks, and it was refreshing to see Henesy and Nickerson in their 'possessed' roles.  I always thought that possession allowed the child actors to break out of the more boring child character mold.

ProfStokes  

I really enjoyed that part as well Prof.Stokes. After going throught the Dr.Lang storyline and all that scientific stuff, it was great to see some ghosts back at Collinwood again.  The hauntings on the show were always the best for me.  :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: PLEASING PLOT
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2002, 02:40:47 PM »
THE DREAM CURSE - Fine on first viewing, can't tolerate it since.  I fast forward through it.  It had a promising beginning but an anti-climatic ending, and that just pissed me off!

THE CREATION OF ADAM AND EVE - So-so.  My favorite portion of this storyline (spoiler ahead) is when Nicholas turns Angelique into a vampire and she comes after Barnabas.  Very hot!

RETURN TO 1796 - I liked this little foray into the past to get rid of Vicki's character for all time.  I wish they had revealed who her parents were, but I just see it as excellent fodder for fan fiction.  Angelique was fun here, and seeing Ben again very nice.

WEREWOLF & GHOST OF QUENTIN  - Excellent, if lengthy buildup to the longest DS storyline ever.  Selby was a hunk and a wonderful actor, but I had more than my share of Count Petofi.

Love, Robin