Author Topic: PLEASING PLOT  (Read 2338 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
PLEASING PLOT
« on: May 09, 2002, 03:36:43 AM »
Prior to the flashback to 1897, there are four storylines  that take place. Which of the following did you enjoy the most and why?

THE DREAM CURSE

THE CREATION OF ADAM AND EVE

RETURN TO 1796

WEREWOLF & GHOST OF QUENTIN

It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline HobbiesDS

• Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASING PLOT
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2002, 03:47:31 AM »
8)Loved the werewolf and Ghost of Quentin storyline.  There was just so much going on and so exciting.  I also adored both charachters (Quentin and Chris Jennings)  I  thought this storyline was very creepy.  Quentin was just plain eerie as a Ghost and then to have a ghost, witch, vampire and werewolf all in one storyline plus Nicholas Blair what more could one want!!

HobbiesDS
HobbiesDS

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2002, 03:18:16 PM »
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Prior to the flashback to 1897, there are four storylines  that take place. Which of the following did you enjoy the most and why?

THE DREAM CURSE

RETURN TO 1796

I enjoyed none of them.  It was more like what pained me the least and that's too tough to call, lol.

What I liked best were certain elements from some of these: Stokes, Cassandra, Nicholas, Eve, Quentin.

I guess I would have to go with the werewolf/Quentin thingy, that had the best buildup and if you ignore Sabrina's wig and the Ned Stuart character, it's probably the most cohesive and well-written.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2002, 04:59:57 PM »
Most definitely the ghost of Quentin (although I'm not too thrilled with the werewolf sub-plot, but it's enjoyable).  For me, the Adam storyline was my least favorite.  Most do not take a fancy to the Leviathan plot, but I just could not appreciate Adam and Eve; if I watch this story on videotape there are many sections through which I fast-forward.

Gerard

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2002, 05:59:10 PM »

I enjoy the Adam storyline the most for obvious reasons, my fave Craig Slocum is in there! I like the scenes with Harry, Mrs. Johnson, Carolyn, Adam, and Nicholas. He did some great scenes with them.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2002, 07:18:48 PM »
I'm liked the ghost/ werewolf because it introduces
two of my favorites Chris and Quentin and the phone scenes are so creepy, kinda like the T zone, I'm with g
Gerard though I hate the Adam /Eve scenes always fast
foward these too!

jennifer
could do without Ned S too!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2002, 09:29:58 PM »
My favorite is the werewolf/ghost of Quentin storyline.  It had some really scary moments, and introduced two great characters in Chris and Quentin.  I also like how they tied together the two stories which at first seemed to be unrelated.  All in all, much better writing than had been seen since the return from 1795.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2002, 10:06:32 PM »
I didn't mind the Adam storyline all that much, but the thought of going through that whole Dream curse again.......... [sleep]
SPOILER..........SPOILER...........SPOILER......SPOILER.......

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

I liked the Quentin storyline. I thought it was kind of spooky with that whole telephone thing going on between Quentin's ghost & the children. The scenes up in the West Wing were scary too, it kind of gave the storyline an eerie feeling.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2002, 11:54:26 PM »

THE DREAM CURSE

RETURN TO 1796

Once again I find myself agreeing with Luciaphil. This particular part of the series is not my favorite. I enjoyed certain elements of this time period but that's about it. I thought the whole Adam/Eve thing was very weak. The Dream Curse was marred by poor special effects and an unsatisfying ending. The return to 1796 might have been better if the part of Victoria Winters had not been  recast. And as for the introduction of Quentin, I thought this part dragged out WAAAYYYYYYYYYY too long.

I'm looking forward to 1897.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2002, 01:55:08 AM »
I hate to agree with EVERYONE, or almost, but I do. Adam/Eve: ehhh; the dream curse: pathetic to the point of being barely watchable; return to 1796: ok, but confusing. There is no way that those can compete with the introduction of Don Brisco and David Selby! The ghosts of Quentin and Beth actually were rather creepy and scarier than most of the "supernatural" we watch on DS.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2002, 02:03:40 AM »
I loved the Werewolf and the Ghost of Quentin.  The first time I've ever seen it, I just knew that they were going to have to something else with David (Quentin) Selby.  The werewolf (Alex Stevens) and Quentin were just great.

:o
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2002, 07:17:57 AM »
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

I enjoyed none of them.  It was more like what pained me the least and that's too tough to call, lol.

Luciaphil

Can I ask you this....is there anything, or a particular storyline, in Dark Shadows that you DO enjoy?  ;)

"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2002, 02:34:19 AM »

Can I ask you this....is there anything, or a particular storyline, in Dark Shadows that you DO enjoy?  ;)

Sure.

Plots:

1966--there are facets that I dislike, but by and large like the Bill Malloy thing, Vicki's arrival, the Phoenix.

1967--Jason and Liz

1795--everything but the Vicki/Peter junk

1968--well, I answered that one already :)

1897--first half is really good.  They started going nuts in the second half, but there are still parts that I love.

1969--not a Leviathan fan

1970PT--nothing, but Cyrus, John, and Buffie

1840--very much like parts of this

1841PT--I would rather clean my bathroom floor

Did I miss anything?

Characters (not that I admire all of them, but I get a kick out of watching them)--in no particular order:
Elizabeth, Roger, Mrs. Johnson, Professor Stokes, Carolyn, Burke #1, Willie Loomis, Quentin, Beth, Gabriel, Edith, Jason, Judith, Samantha, Bill Malloy, Cassandra, Buffie, Flora (before they tamed her down), Tony Peterson.  

I'm sure there are more.

:)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2002, 03:38:16 AM »

Sure.

Plots:

1966--there are facets that I dislike, but by and large like the Bill Malloy thing, Vicki's arrival, the Phoenix.

1967--Jason and Liz

1795--everything but the Vicki/Peter junk

1968--well, I answered that one already :)

1897--first half is really good.  They started going nuts in the second half, but there are still parts that I love.

1969--not a Leviathan fan

1970PT--nothing, but Cyrus, John, and Buffie

1840--very much like parts of this

1841PT--I would rather clean my bathroom floor

Did I miss anything?

Characters (not that I admire all of them, but I get a kick out of watching them)--in no particular order:
Elizabeth, Roger, Mrs. Johnson, Professor Stokes, Carolyn, Burke #1, Willie Loomis, Quentin, Beth, Gabriel, Edith, Jason, Judith, Samantha, Bill Malloy, Cassandra, Buffie, Flora (before they tamed her down), Tony Peterson.  

Boy Luciaphil, we are a lot alike! I'm pretty much in agreement with all you've said here. Don't you think it's a shame they wrote off Bill Malloy? Liz had quite a number of admirers early on.

As for this part of the series (post 1795) there are some good points: the return of John Karlen as Willie Loomis; the introduction of Don Brisco as Tom Jennings the crazy zombie vampire guy (quite different from the other vamps on this show) and, to a lesser extent, the introduction of Denise Nickerson as Amy - a much better actress than Sharon Smythe. Also enjoyed H.A. Astredo as Nicholas Blair, although I got a little tired of his story line.

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2002, 04:56:25 AM »
[shadow=red,left,300]THE GHOST OF QUENTIN STORYLINE !!!!![/shadow]

I have only seen that storyline once so far and that was during the original run of DS.

I only know that I loved watching Quentin, those eyes of his.  I found the storyline scarey enough to keep me coming back for more.  

"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*