Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0282  (Read 961 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0282
« on: April 24, 2007, 06:03:52 PM »
Robservations - #282

(Has anyone besides me gotten the impression that there seems to be a lot of women's heads collapsing on tables lately?  ;)  Maybe it was some new shtick John Sedwick was suddenly into at the time.  :D)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0282
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 08:02:32 PM »
Very Good Show. Maybe it is the music box that has all the power, not Barnabas.

I think this is the part of the show where Vickie is starting to be less smart, and begin I don't understand.

There is one thing that Barnabas and Julia have in common, Barnabas uses the music box and Julia uses her ways of hypnosis.

[spoiler]first she uses the glass crystals and then the broach or necklace[/spoiler]

Julia has made progress with Maggie, she is starting to remember certain things. I think Julia is as much of a dare devel as Dave, she is going to push Maggie as far as she can. Julia is in some ways like Barnabas once she gets on something she doesn't want to give up on it.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:04:38 AM »
I keep wondering about that music box myself, lori54.  When Barnabas first has Maggie listening to it, its function seems to be just to induce a mood, but as time goes on, it seems to gain power.  In the episodes I've watched, I haven't seen any attempt to explain it, and my impression from what I've read here is that no attempt is ever made.

One of the great sorrows of my life as a Dark Shadows fan is that, although I love the word jasmine, every time I smell jasmine, I don't like it.  Maggie says it smells sweet, and I like sweet, but jasmine never comes across that way to me.  If I were Dr. Hoffman, I would be wondering if it was chloroform that Maggie remembered, since in the thrillers that I've read, chloroform is always mentioned as smelling sweet.

I'd like to know what Dr. Hoffman's plans are at this point.  Previously when we saw her, her sole concerned appeared to be for her patient.  In this episode, however, things appear to be changing; she's pushing Maggie to go to the cemetery.  She always knew what Maggie's blood looked like, so what is going on in that elegantly coiffed head of hers?

As for Vicky starting to lose intelligence at this point - having watched episodes 1-18 (still haven't gotten around to watching the rest of the DVD set), I am surprised that anybody thought Vicky ever had any intelligence at all.  Is there an arc maybe?  A Flowers For Algernon sort of thing, with Vicky starting out stupid, gaining intelligence in the first year to the point where she's a functional human being, and then losing it again?

CT!_CTP/FITBs

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 06:07:10 PM »
I think at this point Julia's concern is for Maggie's well-being but that will change soon enough. And Julia is determined to do things HER way no matter what Dave Woodard or anyone else says.

I think Vicki's attraction to the legend of Josette can be traced back to the fact she knows nothing about her own background. However I will agree she does get carried away with it.

This episode was only so-so.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 08:37:54 PM »
Somehow, AM always comes across as intelligent to me, even when the lines don't.

Suddenly I can't remember when or how Julia is supposed to have decided to research Basrnabas.  I'd always had the sense that she'd had that in mind since before she shows up in the story, using Maggie as a cover, maybe based on things Woodard had said to her about Maggie's blood earlier.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 08:51:44 PM »
Part of the WP concept must be that anything happening after the episode isn't to be discussed.  Sorry about the above post; I tried to change it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 10:51:53 AM »
So we finally get to see Maggie and Julia again! [cheer] I liked how they were switching back and forth between Maggie and Vicki.  For instance, Maggie would remember the "tinkling music" and then we would see Vicki playing Josette's music box. [winkg]

I was pleased to see the progress that Julia has made with Maggie.  Maggie wasn't a little girl anymore.  But she still had a lot more to remember.  Julia does seem to only be concerned with Maggie's welfare at this point in the storyline. [thumb]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:02:57 AM »
Yes, it's only a matter of time before she remembers everything.... Dave....